“Fantastic Hotel, Fantastic Weekend”
Review of Brighton House

Brighton House
Ranked #12 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We booked to go with Friends to Brighton to celebrate my husbands birthday. We checked in on Friday 16th November, had a very warm welcome from Carl and satyed in room 36, it was lovely, great big comfy bed and a balcony that over looked the Square and the Sea!! We had read good reviews and understood that there was no lift and no cooked breakfast!! Wasn't an issue at all, actually it was nice to experience something different. The hotel has a lovely family feel, the staff are extremely friendly especially Mr Watts their beautiful cat who spent quite a time snuggled up on my lap while he was fussed!!! It's a hard life Mr Watts!!! It was also a nice touch having home made cake to nibble on throughout the day and night and taste the home made tangerine marmalade Carl made, delicious!!! (Thank you for leaving me the recipe Carl!!) At breakfast we could have bucks fizz which was a great start to the day, all the other guests were friendly and chatty and that's probably because we were all made to feel so welcome and at home!! I would absolutely recommend this hotel and we are already planning our next trip to the Brighton House Hotel. Thank you for making it such a great weekend!!! Selina & Michael Sapsford

Room Tip: Room 36 is on the first floor, great big comfy bed, great view of Regency Square and the Sea!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Brighton-House, General Manager at Brighton House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Thank you for your kind review of Brighton House. We are all really happy you enjoyed our stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Brighton House

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay at Brighton House with friends, What can I say, Brighton is a gem and as a first timer I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, it was relaxed and friendly (unlike many uk resorts) quirky, fun and charming with the lanes shopping eating and drinking experiences to die for with all tastes and influences catered for, i have no negatives to say about the place. Our accommodation was chosen and booked with the help of one of our groups many previous visits and recommendation, we were definitely not disappointed. From check in to leaving I found Brighton House facilities and staff to be excellent, our room well equipped, comfy beds and linen, decor and rooms clean and tidy, en suite with plenty of hot water and complimentary shower gels etc already provided if needed, good breakfast times so you could have a lay in if you chose to and an exceptional continental breakfast with too many items to list on offer plus the excellent attentive hospitality and service provided by our hosts (well done guys). I am already planning my next visit to Brighton and Brighton House Hotel. Thanks again and see you soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

We are really happy you enjoyed your stay and really look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 16 November 2012

I really can not say enough good things about this Bed & Breakfast in Brighton!!! The staff at this location was nothing but professional and detailed oriented before and during my entire stay. They made helpful suggestions and did everything they could to ensure that I had a very pleasant holiday. I hadn't been to England since 1998. I can say after a few days in Brighton; I will come back and stay at this same spot. Breakfast was incredible!! Enough food and tea to get me going before hitting up all the great shopping in the North Laines. This B&B is not very far from the train station, shopping at the Laines, and is right on the beach. I plan to come back and share with friends and family that I know would just love it there. Everyone from the kitchen staff to the gentlemen at the front desk were nothing but professional from the moment I walked in the door. I was originally planning on visiting Brighton again in two years. Now I am already thinking about returning fall of 2013. :-)

Room Tip: There is no lift; but after a couple days the stairs really aren't that bad. My room was the sin...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo

Hi Starla. Thank you for all your kind words. And thank you for your cards. We loved having you here and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 16 November 2012

I knew my single room was at the top of the building and there was no lift, but the sweet receptionist carried my case up for me! I had a double, the room was small and the bathroom could do with a shelf to keep things. Apart from this, everything was clean and comfortable. I liked the system with 2 different types of pillow as I am allergic and could choose. Thoughtful touches like a hot water bottle and home made cake were appreciated! Breakfast is good and there is plenty of choice on the buffet as well as a selection of newspapers for guests. The hotel is within easy walking distance from everything. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs, ask for a lower floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Brighton-House, Front Office Manager at Brighton House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Thank you for your recent review of Brighton House. We are all very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

I stayed at the Brighton House Hotel to attend a conference in Brighton. The rates were extremely reasonable, and I had read the reviews about the single rooms being up a lot of stairs, but this didn't bother me (I did count the steps and there were 68, although I had had a few wines so could be a couple more or less than this!).

Breakfast was great, it was nice not to have the ubiquitous full English which I customarily have anyway and end up feeling all morning feeling over full! There was a really good continental breakfast on offer, with lovely fresh fruit available and perfectly cooked boiled eggs. The boys in the dining room were really friendly, and couldn't do enough for you. In fact everybody there was really friendly, even down to Mr Watts the cat, who unfortunately I only met once!

The location was great, just around the corner from the seafront and the conference centre.

The room was small, but had everything I needed, the bed was super comfortable and I had two really good nights sleep. There was a great selection of teas and coffee, and excellent Wifi and TV reception.

The bathroom was small, and whilst I managed fine with it, a good addition for us ladies would have been a shelf to put make up and various other pots anad potions on, as I did struggle a bit with finding somewhere to put my numerous things!

Would definitely stay again if I go to Brighton (although maybe in one of the lower floors!).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2012

Thank you for your review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and would love to welcome you back. We do have small doubles lower down that with a single occupancy discount and then your 10% return guest discount may well be a great alternative for you! But we certainly do look forward to welcoming you back soon! As does Mr Watts!

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Never reviewed a hotel before but thought I should for this one. As a repeat and continued user of the Brighton House during October and November, I have nothing but positives to say.

From looking at the other reviews, I am suprised at some of :

1. Lack of a lift - this is clearly stated on the hotel website and unless you are unable to walk isnt a problem
2. Parking - this is clearly stated on the hotel website and is an issue throughout Brighton
3. Lack of a calorific full english breakfast - this is clearly stated on the hotel website and also a good idea

In terms of positives:

1. Very friendly and a pleasantly intimate atmosphere
2. Attentive service without being intrusive (I think this is a real skill and much underrated)
3. Good range of rooms and even the smaller ones are perfectly fine
4. Lovely old building on a lovely old square

One could go on but I would finish by saying that this hotel fits any requirement be it business or pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Thank you for your great review. We are very happy that you like our guest house and very much look forward to welcoming you back, again and again!

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Firstly I'd like to acknowledge the staff on when we stayed 24/10 for one night..We were greeted warmly and offered advice and a map for Brighton..Also the Breakfast team were excellent.

Staying in a city centre Hotel/guest house is unlikely to be quite however when we stayed the underground car park opposite was being refurbed and the works went on to 11.30pm to be frank it was nosiy so much so that we closed the window up and still it droned on. The workers were back at it 8.00 am the next day doing quite works?...However any thoughts of a quite start were spolied by the dustbin collection at 7.00am. Neither of these can be attributed to the Brighton however the works were noisy I hope they and other businesses have complained.Had they advised us of the car park works we would of booked elsewhere which is probably why it wasnt mentioned?

We were on the top fight it's over 70 stairs to the room which while clean was small ... The Hotel makes a big issue of being 'Green' which should be applauded However its unsuitable for any mobility impaired persons- perhaps a review of access and some work in that area.

Generally the Hotel like a good many in the area needs a coat of paint and a good clean in the communual areas its not a 'Boutique' hotel and should not be considered that by potential guests. A good choice for business travel not romantic weekends

Breakfast- continental- the staff were excellent and the coffee good...The fruit salad looked tired..Salmon and Makerel unapprealing displayed in the plastic servers. Only one choice of meat
Ham..only boiled eggs provided - other choices would of been good...

I liked the free fruit provided in the rooms and reception area and while we didn't try the home made cakes it was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ensure room in lower part of the house
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2012

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback.

We are aware that the car park under Regency square is undergoing refurbishment. It is very rare that the work carries on that late. Although it is completely out of our control, we have expressed our concerns to the contractors in charge of the work. We certainly don't hide the fact the car park is undergoing work, in fact when asked for parking advice, we specifically inform people. We don't however, inform our guests that we get our rubbish collected.

We appreciate that our stairs can be demanding for guest with mobility issues and we thank you for pointing it out as we try to do on our website and other third party sites. It is very important that guests are aware

We are sorry and surprised that you found our breakfast unappealing. We feel we offer a healthy and plentiful alternative to a standard continental breakfast or the greasy full English which normally goes down very well with our guests