“Laid back, clean, friendly, great breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brighton House

Brighton House
Ranked #14 of 98 Brighton B&B and Inns
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Laid back, clean, friendly, great breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Regency Square is about a ten minute walk from Brighton Pier, and perhaps a bit longer from the railway station. It's just opposite the ruined West Pier. The area is 'up and coming' you might say, with the construction of the new viewing tower underway.
Our single rooms were nicely furnished and clean, with very comfortable beds and plenty of top-quality pillows, bother foam and feather. Bathrooms were small but as expected, and very well equipped with toiletries and extra towels. Good shower.
Very nice basket of fruit in rooms, as well as biscuits and a well-equipped tea-making tray. Top marks here. There was a home-mae cake in reception for guests to help themselves to, and we were invited to help ourselves to fruit in the reception area at all times.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, and completely laid back. Just the way I like it.
Breakfast was a highlight, with a huge choice of mostly organic food, boiled eggs, fresh fruit salad, home-made yoghurt, superb toast and the best coffee. I laid in bed anticipating my breakfast every morning! The breakfast room is spacious and elegant.
And to top it all, there's Mr Watts the cat, for those of us who miss our cats when we're on holiday.

Room Tip: Single rooms are at the top of the house and good exercise! There's no lift.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for your great review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our breakfast! We, including Mr Watts, would love to welcome you back any time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Exeter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

From the moment you arrive at this lovely hotel, nothing is too much trouble. The staff are lovely and our room was too; the bed was so very comfortable. Breakfast was great and the location of the hotel is fantastic. I would certainly recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying there again when I next visit Brighton.

1 Thank Alison W
Brighton-House, General Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of Brighton House. We are all really happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

From the point of check-in, to check out, the experience was fantastic.

Their website is very forth coming in mentioning that they do not have a lift, and that there are stairs involved. I mention this because other reviewers seem surprised by this.

The hotel does not offer parking, but they mention Regency Secure Parking on their website, and I cannot recommend this car park enough!! If I can do a separate review for them I will, but I have a feeling that TripAdvisor won't have a category for car parks.

Prior to arriving, I prebooked a spot with Dan at Regency. When I arrived, he remembered our email conversation from 2 months prior, including that I was having a rental car. He offered to park the car for me, as the spots are small and tight.

Before booking I was a little apprehensive about using their car park, because from the Google street view it looked like it was in a rough neighbourhood, but once I got there, I was very pleased with the choice.

After meeting Dan, I was 100% pleased with my choice, and Dan gave great tips on things to do while in Brighton.

Back to the hotel...

I was greeted pleasantly when I walked in, everything had been prepaid, so the check in was fast. The room was on the second floor, as I requested, and it was very clean, and stylish with a mix of old and new world.

The bathroom was fine, and small as expected from a UK hotel, but completely usable.

I had a good sleep, and the next morning was greeted with an amazing fresh organic breakfast, with a choice of eggs, breads, jams, breakfast meats, juices, etc. Certainly the best variety of any breakfast I had on the entire trip.

This is a great place to stay in Brighton, and within walking distance of pretty much everything.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SecretSauce
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review. We are especially pleased you mention and praise Dan at Regency Secure Parking as he is an asset to all the guest house near by. We really hope you can join us again should you ever be in Brighton again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

The staff were very nice and helpful, the hotel is clean and comfortable. There are very few facilities so the price seemed too high. Breakfast was average - no cooked breakfast, the fruit looked very dry, otherwise OK. The cat is nice; our room was on the top floor and there's no lift, which troubled my wife greatly. It's in a good location for the seafront and the town centre, but parking is difficult so book a parking place well in advance to avoid a long walk.

Room Tip: If you don't like climbing stairs, ask for a room on a lower floor.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay on the whole. We do try to make it clear that we don't have a lift and the stairs can prove a problem for some people. We always try to get people who request lower rooms on the lower floors.
Tunbridge Wells, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

We used this hotel as a short two night break following our wedding and found the hotel very clean, the room was lovely with high ceilings, roll top bath and solid four poster! Ideal for honeymooners..Location is close to the beach and pier but not close to be noisy and there is an underground secure carpark in the square opposite the hotel which is great but cost £35 for our two nights stay. Good selection for breakfast. All staff were friendly and helpful and made our stay special.

Room Tip: Ask for room 35 if your feeling romantic
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are really happy you enjoyed your stay with us. And congratulations on your recent wedding. We would love to welcome you back to Brighton House should you ever return to Brighton.
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Visiting Brighton again with my Mum from Belfast we could not stay at Brighton House because at 80 Years, she just couldn't manage the stairs (otherwise this would be my number 1 choice of where to stay in Brighton. Our last visit was last year when we were guests). We called Brighton House and explained that while we were not staying, my mum would like to visit Mr Watts. They invited us for tea! We had a lovely visit, a lovely tea and Mr Watts was his old gorgeous self. The staff made the time to chat to mum without neglecting their paying guests. And, I have to say, there were hugs! That they would be so kind to a frail elderly lady, when they were receiving not a penny, is testament to how special Brighton House is and how unique the staff are. You dont get this kind of care from a big chain. THANK YOU!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank C0c0andc0
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! It was no problem at all. Mr Watts love the attention! I hope your mother can come visit Mr Watts again some time. Best wishes from everyone at Brighton House and Mr Watts
Crete
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

We chose the Brighton House because of the reviews we found on the internet but we were very disappointed with our noisy, uncomfortable and stuffy room which had a cracked and chipped sink.

There was a loud buzz and hum in our room caused by water pipes passing through our room. I assume they were either under the floor boards or in ducting in the walls. This noise was on occasions extremely loud and made it very difficult to get to sleep. I contacted the staff ( may have been the owner or manager). He agreed he could heard it and told us there was nothing he could do about it. He made no suggestions or offers so I asked him about a different room and was told it was fully booked that night. So I then asked him about the other nights we were staying there and he said he would look. He never came back to us with any information, his position appeared to us to be “yes it is noisy, I have your money, tough” Each night we had to move chairs and suitcases around the room trying to find a spot on the floor which minimised the vibration. The noise did tend to abate during the night but around 6am we were always woken up by the noise starting again.

The beds we had were very uncomfortable. The mattresses appeared old and sagged, we could feel the springs sticking in us. We had to put the blankets over the mattresses to try and protect us from the springs. Passing another room who’s door was open we could see its bed also sagged in the middle.

The room did not have air conditioning and even though we stayed in Brighton when the air temperature outside did not often rise above 16C the room was hot and stuffy. A fan was all that was offered to us.

The sink in the bathroom was both chipped and cracked. The WC had a temperamental flush.

On arrival we found the WiFi was not working correctly. It would connect but dropped out or went very slow. I contacted the person on duty and told him. His first reply was “no one else has complained it must be your device” I explained to him that a fault always has to start at some point and perhaps it had just started now. I also told him that we had tried it on fives devices a PC, an Ipad, two Iphones and a Galaxy. His next reply was that it was free. I told him that I paid for it within the cost of the room and that it is offered as a selling point and was one of the reasons that we booked the Brighton House. Shortly after this he did admit that there was a fault. 24 to 36 hours later it was working perfectly.

The staff in the morning at breakfast were excellent, they were friendly, cheerful and helpful. The range of food provided for breakfast was very good.

There were many other nice touches around the Brighton House such as cake available all day but we would never recommend this B&B to anyone. We paid over £100 per night for this room, we have had far better stays in £40 per night backpacker’s accommodation. The noise, uncomfortable beds and disruption to our sleep ruined our stay in Brighton. The attitude of the person we told about the noise gives me the impression nothing will be done about it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RossAndLuther
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for your views on Brighton House. We will admit we were expecting a review like this from yourself as it seemed we were unable to find any solutions to your issues while you were staying.

I would like to address some of the points you have made though, so any future guest will not get the wrong impression from your views.

The “loud buzz and hum” noise caused by water pipes were nothing more audible than the usual use of plumbing in any Regency/period home or guest house. I believe the owner was trying to explain, without causing offence, that you may be causing the noise yourself. We have never had this issue with any previous or indeed current guests in this room. We would of been happy to move you should we have had the availability but we are very popular, with many returning guests. If you had chosen to view our guest directly you may of had a clearer impression of what is on offer here in our beautiful regency building.

We are often complimented on our comfy beds and are surprised at your findings. We often rotate our mattresses and have never found springs sticking out.

We do not have air conditioning in our guest house, mainly as it is mostly unneeded and we find the fan we have is sufficient to add extra circulation to the room should it ever be needed.

The issue with the Wifi was pointed out to me personally. My first reply was actually, “oh, that is strange, no one else seems to be having problems.” To which you barked to me that “we are probably more discerning than your usual guests”, a comment I found rather insulting to myself and our other guests. I continued to ask which device you were using as sometimes certain devices do have issues. Your manner to me was condescending and patronising. I couldn’t even get a word in to explain I would investigate. That is why you saw me outside your room removing the router to see if I could reset it. I addressed the fault and it was working within the hour, as I explained to you as you were leaving for dinner. Certainly not a day and half later.

We are glad you found some of our touches to your liking but are very sad that you found fault with other things. I do hope you can find accommodation in Brighton more able to fit your needs should you decide to return to Brighton.