“A pleasant stay at reasonable prices”
Review of Beach Hotel

Beach Hotel
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Whilst I am in agreement with the fact that this hotel is in need of updating we found it a very pleasant stay, we found the staff amazingly friendly. For the money we were extremely happy.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank matt h
There are newer reviews for Beach Hotel

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I stayed there with my partner on a Saturday night and it cost £95 so I expected a reasonable hotel standard but we were very disappointed. It was very shappy and in need of a refurbishment. The walls and carpets were worn; the bathroom door handle came off in my hand; and the lamp shade was held together with sellotape. It was also very noisy - the windows are not double glazed so we could hear all the noise from outside (traffic and drunk people) and the beds and floors creaked loudly. We were in a room near a firedoor which slammed loudly everytime someone went through it which was frequently throughout the night so we got hardly any sleep. Breakfast was disorganised. We had to queue for everything: queue to get tea or coffee, queue to order toast, queue to get a cooked breakfast. We wouldn't have minded so much if we paid a cheap rate but £95 for this shabby affair is taking the pee.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K L
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed there over the weekend with my partner and it was just so horrific. Lift didn't work, stairs were old and creepy. The room was meant to have a double bed which definitely didn't it had two singles pushed together making it very uncomfortable to sleep. Toilet had loads of skid marks which i assume should of been cleaned before new guests checking in. NOT IMPRESSED.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Just spent two nights there on a very tight budge so for £27.50 per person for B&B I don't think we could get much cheaper. Public areas of hotel very shabby but our two bedrooms and bathrooms were very clean and we were provided with lovely fluffy white twoesl and toileteries . Hair dryer and mini fridges in our rooms. One receptionist very helpful but the other not so although I think the lack of native language may be a reason. Won't go hungry at breakfast with English breakfast but "continental breakfast" a big disappointment. Some reviews say about it being noisy but what do you expect staying near the seafront and from our walk home last night I am sure it would be worse the nearer the centre of town. Having said all that, it was good value for money and if you wan't luxury then pay for it somewhere else. Everything we needed was provided and would stay there again if we needed a bargain break. Ate at the Harvester last night which was great value for money and the Days Chinese Buffet on Thursday night which altough was more expensive there was a wonderful selection of food and if you like puddings and chocolate fountains then this is the place to go.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor with a side facing view of the sea. Small lift to all floors which was h...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank casey86
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Our three nights at the Beach Hotel could have been so much better. Agree with Paul Kernan about the really shabby state of the place, the mattresses on our beds were absolutely worn out and flithy, covered in stains and with the springs actually dangerously poking through my friend's bed. (see picture)

No protective covers on the pillows or mattresses, the thought of bed bugs crossed my mind as I tried (in vain) to sleep on our first night. Tatty, worn and hole filled quilt covers did little to make the experience a good one. A faulty lock on the door didn't help matters we had to be let in by the pass key so many times they eventually gave us another room. Needless to say the beds were in as bad condition there and the fun was added to by the slope of the floor in room 14, I spent all night trying not to roll off the bed which was listing toward the door.

No a/c so the heat would be unbearable in summer. The staff were all friendly and helpful though, and the poor girl on reception had to oversee the breakfast service, man reception, answer phone calls all at the same time.

Such a shame that this hotel, in a great location for the city centre and the beach is so run down and shabby. It has great potential to be a fabulous place after a lot of money is spent on doing it up.

I know that the price we paid was low, but there's no way I'd pay the full rate for the rooms we had. The corridors upstairs were really dirty, agree with other reviewer as before, that George IV was on throne when it had its last deep clean.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank louharry
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stayed at this hotel in September 2011 for one night (a saturday). having read some of the previous reviews I was slightly concerned about booking but took a chance.
We were travelling with another couple and booked the last two rooms available (£95 per room inc breakfast). I emailed two days prior to our arrival requesting if we could have rooms near each other and with a shower (I had read that some only have baths). Considering I had booked the last two rooms, i was surprised when they replied the next day advising they had changed a few bookings around so they could give us two rooms on the same floor and both with showers. We had room 35 (2 twin beds and 1 double) and room 33 (double bed which is two twins pushed together). Hotel could do with a lick of paint but the rooms are clean although a bit tired. Tea/coffee facilities and tv. Also towels and shampoo/soap provided. Rooms were on third floor and both look over the square, views of the sea and accessed via stairs or a lift. Both rooms were comfortable. had no problems re any noise etc.
Hotel is easy to find, there is an underground car park available directly opposite, - £12.50 for 24hrs which seems a good price for Brighton. Arrived an hour early and rooms were ready so they let us have the keys. Reception staff were polite and friendly.
Hotel is in a great location - shops and lanes are in walking distance.
Breakfast is 8am to 10am, cereal, toast, fresh fruit, cooked breakfast etc. Breakfast room is clean and bright and food is hot. You help yourself to the breakfast so you can eat as much as you like. The staff again were polite and helpful.
There is no bar but there are a couple of restaurants/bars near by and you are just a short walk from the main area.
Yes this hotel does need redecorating, yes the furniture and carpets are old fashioned and I would not choose this hotel if I was going abroad for a weeks holiday as I would want better decor but I really don't think you can go wrong paying £95 per room inc breakfast for a night in Brighton if you are just going for one to three days, room 35 sleeps 4 so that would be £25 each for a group of friends!!! We hardly spent anytime in our rooms, just a place to sleep after a night out but if it is luxury you are looking for then I would suggest you consider paying more and look at the £250 per night hotels!! Personally I would rather save my money and book this hotel and use the difference in the clothes shops!!!!!
Apparently there is a hotel called 'The Brighton Beach Hotel' which has terrible reviews. I didn't see the hotel but it is not this one - this is the Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: Room 35 - third floor (lift available) 2xtwins plus a double. Ensuite with shower. sea views. Room...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Holidays-breaks
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This hotel is in a great central location with the advantage of nearby parking (on the square itself from 8pm - 9am is free and the underground NCP is cheaper than many in Brighton).

We stayed in room 15 which has a lovely view over the square and along Kings Road and the beautiful Brighton seafront. We requested a travel cot and this was provided free of charge and set up for us on arrival. The room was a good size and clean but very shabby. The bathroom especially - it looks new but there are cracks over the tiles, the shower hose isn't long enough to go particularly high and there's missing bits here and there.

The heating was on when we arrived (on a nice warm September day!) but the radiators have adjustable thermostats and the huge windows open easily.

Breakfast was basic with a very surly waitress but tasty and as a buffet you can eat you fill. There's also highchairs for little ones.

Overall, you kind of get what you pay for (and at £55 for us for the night its a damn sight cheaper than many, worse places in Brighton)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family