“Not a bad as we thought” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of West Beach Hotel

West Beach Hotel
Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Not a bad as we thought”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

After reading the other reviews we were expecting the worst, but we're surprised.
The reception staff were friendly. The room, was shabby, but clean. All the staff were friendly, and the bar was buzzing.

Our friends had a room with mould all around the bath, and no opening windows, and felt they were in an oven.

Considering the city was sold out, it was a good option and half what every other hotel wanted.

But I would not be back unless I had to

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Czech first
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

When we arrived we very nearly did not stay! We were not aware that there was building work going on (although the receptionist told me this was on the website, I have since looked and it is not), I booked by phone with you and was not told at the time.
Also, when we arrived with the displays, signs in foreign languages and flags signposting a language school (there was also groups of young people hanging about) I had to ask whether it was a hotel or a hostel. It definitely has a hostel feel in the entrance area. Despite me having my hands full of bags and a crying 2 year old, I was told I needed to find my card to pay the remainder of my stay. I asked if I could go and put the bags down and sort out my child and come back and I was told I needed to pay first. The receptionist did not understand a lot of what I was trying to say.
We got in the lift, which smelt strongly of urine and again nearly turned around.
We were pleasantly surprised when we got to the room which was very clean, spacious and the bathroom felt luxurious. However, having a 2 year old with us, I was rather concerned by the strong smell of paint, especially when one of the windows (which were very dirty) had a sign on saying we could not open it.
I strongly, strongly recommend that the windows need to be double glazed. Even with the windows closed it felt as if my bed was on the street as the noise from people passing and shouting was so loud. Staying as a family, I expect to be able to sleep at night and not have myself and my child continually woken by the noise of revellers outside. I understand that Brighton is a party town, but if you are offering a family room you need to support the family's needs which is a peaceful nights sleep!
Location was great though!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank 999cazzak

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

South Ockendon, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

The room was large for a twin but frankly it was basic to be polite. Walking to our room was like a crazy maze race in which you trusted a lift which seemed ancient and corridors which were tiny. Myself and my suitcase was a squeeze! It was close to the beach front but not the main shop/nightclub area and that is not a walk you can make easily if you are intoxicated. The reception area was manned by students who struggled to speak fluent english when we checked in and out and no one seemed to question anyone who entered or exited. This worried me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Elizabeth G
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I booked in for 1 night. Everything was good - room clean, comfortable, quiet and teas n coffee in the room. Ensuite bathroom very clean and towels also(but fan in bathroom did not work). Its a good hotel for the price, close to all Brighton attractions and theatres etc and on the seafront. Slight downside - cafe/bar in hotel was closed but there is plently of choice to eat and drink within 2 min walk so not a major problem. I would stay again definately

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Let's see....arrived at 1550 for a 1430 check in and got told that our room wasn't ready. Nowhere to sit and wait so had to wait on the beach. Luckily it was a nice day. The room was horrible. Thankfully the bedsheets were clean. No head board on the bed (I find this strange?!), weird looking stains in the toilet, curtains that were too small for the windows so the Brighton public could see our every move. For £80 a night I was expecting something better. This hotel was very disappointing. What angered me the most was that the room wasn't ready for us. We had to be ready to meet friends in the centre and this made us late. We did complain but it fell on deaf ears all we got from staff in reply was "you need to pay your £80 now" and shoved a bill in our faces. Don't stay here you'd be better off in a tent for the night.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Resounding
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Loved our stay here! Perfect location and nice rooms. The cafe/bar attached to the hotel wasn't in use while we stayed there so I wonder what those will be like in the future but we will definitely come back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Hotel was poorly managed, room absolutely unacceptable, my dog has better comfort and luxury staying at the kennels.
To start we were welcomed with having to give over credit card details to cover the cost if we damaged anything or the room, felt a bit embarrassed, as there as a family with four year old daughter not on stag do.
Got into room, only two positives the view which was directly on seafront and cbeebies channel worked. Now for the negatives there was gaps in the floor boards and the Walls where the building is showing a poor state of repair. The cracks are metres long on Walls. One of windows was cracked/slightly shattered. One window didn't have safety catch not acceptable. One window was 15 cm full of water like a fish tank. The bathroom was full of mould.The carpets were threadbare and as thin as paper with numerous stains. Then there was the cheap Argos style childrens beds. All three single beds metal framed. Damaged and all bowing with the springs poking out from all angles. Possibly the worst night sleep ever. If I could have changed hotel I would of. On leaving I made the receptionist check the room for any damage which was a joke and made them give my details back.

Such a shame this hotel has so much potential and yet it is run the way it is.

• Stayed April 2012