“oasis of calm”

The Treatment Rooms
Ranked #2 of 43 Spas & Wellness in Brighton
Reviewed 15 July 2014

As soon as one steps inside, the noise and bustle of Brighton disappears. A faint but calming perfume, and smiling efficient staff greet you with the offer of tea or water, in all my experiences promptly supplied. I have had different massages (aromatherapy, back/neck/shoulders, hot stones) and facial treatments over a number of years - all of which have left me feeling pampered, relaxed, invigorated and very satisfied with the experience. Every therapist has been equally professional and expert - and friendly.

A plus is that there is absolutely no pressure to buy any of the face and body-care products available, not always the case elsewhere!

My only slight reservation would be that the decor is a little dark and dreary upstairs - it would be good to have some plants/flowers, and also it would be nice to be able to refill one's glass with tea/water oneself.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
CLARE R, Owner at The Treatment Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are actually meeting architects next week regarding a revamp!
Noted re the water, looking into a solution.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My facial last weekend was a deeply relaxing experience. Fran , my therapist, was superb.I left my skin hydrated ,and feeling wonderfully calm after her soothing hands had worked such magic.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
CLARE R, Owner at The Treatment Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you. I will pass feedback to Fran.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had a massage recently which was a gift from my husband. I must say I'm slightly disappointed with the level of service compared to when I have been in the past. Nothing major, but it's the little touches that used to make this place stand out from all the rest. On arrival, I was asked if I wanted a drink, I asked for water as I'm 30 weeks pregnant and it was 25c outside! I was showed where to get changed and was told I'd be met back outside when ready.

However, when I went back to the waiting area, there was no water waiting for me and no staff. For AGES. In the end, I walked off to find the relaxation room to see if there was any water in there. There wasn't. Except three dirty old glasses that had been left by a previous client, some still full of cold tea and tepid water. I was so thirsty I was tempted to just drink from the dirty glass but I wandered back through the reception as I thought it was slightly ridiculous.

My therapist then appeared and I asked her for some water, trying to explain the other lady had forgotten to bring it and that I was feeling faint and hot and desperate. She got a glass out of the cupboard under the till (why not just leave some out with a jug when it's summer?!) and filled the glass. BUT THEN instead of handing me the glass, she walked me through to the treatment room with the glass in her hand so I still had to wait! As soon as I was given it I drank it in one go, but the treatment was starting and I didn't want to waste 'table time' by sat around drinking water when I should have had the chance to do this while waiting outside. I've been here loads and water is standard 'upon arrival' courtesy thing which should never be overlooked - especially when staying hydrated is so important after a massage and I'm heavily pregnant.

Anyway, the massage was average, which was a real shame. I know side-lying massages aren't always the best as I too am a therapist, but I told her I had pain and problems in my neck and shoulders hoping to get some work on that area. But even though I'd flagged it as an area I'd like worked on, it was pretty much left out and my feet, legs, hands and arms (which are fine) got 20 mins between them. My back was given about 20 mins effleurage (light stroking) and I generally felt like I'd just been stroked all over rather than treated for muscle pain. Real shame as my hubby had treated me to this as he knew I'd been struggling with a bad neck and shoulders for a while and as I'd been here in the past, he thought he was doing me a favour.

After the massage, I was taken to the relaxation room where I was given a fresh glass of water. Hurrah. But I finished it straight away and all that was left was the stale jug of now tepid water that I'd seen in there earlier which had clearly been there all day and felt warm and metallic after I'd just had a fresh ice cold one. I was so thirsty I just decided to leave and go elsewhere as I knew I wouldn't be able to find another staff member.

On my way out, I visited the toilet but there was no loo roll and no one to ask for a replacement! Not ideal when massages make you want to frequent the loo more often than usual. It's a small thing but it does make all the difference when you are paying such high prices.

I would think twice before spending money here again as the standards seem to have dropped since I used to go more often in 2010-2012. You could easily get a similar massage for less money and with better service elsewhere. Especially as all the nice little touches which made it a stand-out spa in Brighton seem to be fading away. Real shame as I was so looking forward to it and just feel disappointed with the experience. I didn't mention it to the front desk and I didn't think anyone would be interested or do anything to ease my annoyance!

If you aren't too bothered about level of service, then this place is still fine. But water and loo roll are basic things and if they can't get the basics right...

1  Thank MrandMrsKentontour
CLARE R, Owner at The Treatment Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Really sorry to read this and I will be looking into who checked you in and was on duty that day.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We went together with my mum. We've had a room for two with shower , heated beds , relaxing music , lovely and clean . Two members of staff have explain everything step by step what they're going to do . We went crazy and we booked 3 hours of papering . Ladies were gentle and very professional . We've had body exfoliation, body-booster wrap , full body massage incorporating hot stones and facial , full pressure point massage and scalp wich we loved the most ! Expensive but this luxury treatment is worth every penny ! We feel like newborns;) highly recomnded!

CLARE R, Owner at The Treatment Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Just what we needed to see. I'll pass your feedback on.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I must admit my recent trip to the treatment rooms was pretty disappointing. Upon arrival I was greater by the reception who seemed pretty cold and actually bordering pretentious, there was no friendly welcome, she just took my name and ask me to take a seat. After about 5 minutes I was asked if I d like a drink, I which I replied "yes" at that point the phone rang and my drink was forgotten until I was greeted with by the therapist. The therapist was nice enough, we exchanged pleasantries but again she came across pretty cold. The treatment itself was really disappointing, the therapist was pretty heavy handed with the crystals and my face felt like it had been ripped to shreds after she had finished. This is very unusual for this treatment and defiantly something I haven't experience before. In previous experiences of this treatment the oxygen lasts around 10-15 minutes but in this case is was over in 5 mins! Again incredibly disappointing, after all that's what you are paying a whooping £97 for!!!

After the treatment the therapist explained the do's and don'ts which was great and told me to take my time getting dressed. Upon leaving the room the therapist didn't meet me at the reception desk I was just left to wait in the queue. The reception didn't practically engage with me and didn't bother asking me how my treatment was, if she had then I would have expressed my disappointment.

I feel incredibly disappointed by my experience at the treatment rooms, as a busy working mum I have very little time and money to spend on pampering, so I was looking forward to this all week. I feel that the treatment rooms has a duty to its customers to give them the best possible experience especially when their prices are almost double to their competitors who do the same treatment only better!! This was defiantly not an awarding winning treatment or spa.

CLARE R, Owner at The Treatment Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Really sorry to read this. If you would like to message me your name I can look into this for you. It's not the standard I expect and would like to rectify this for you.