“Not as bad as we thought it would be”

The Brighton Beach Hotel
Ranked #33 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I booked this hotel with out reading any reviews. then I read some of the reviews. we were very worried what we would find.
This hotel was cheap, shabby and none of the decore matched. There were cracks all over the cielings. It needed more than a lick of paint. Our room sloped from one side to the other. and we could hear the people in the other rooms walking about. The windows rattled so I stuffed them with cardboard.Thats the bad bits. So now the good stuff, There is free parking for about 12 cars first come first served, the staff were friendly. The room was clean. The bedding clean and crisp. The bed was comfortable. The view from our window was fantastic. The breakfast was nice and served with a smile. We would go there again if we needed some where cheap to stay. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who isn't fussy and just wants a cheap place to stay. You get what you pay for.

Reviewed 27 April 2010

Fire extinguisher propping open fire door - illegal!!
Heavily stained mattress
Toilet and shower room door would not close
Cold tap fitting in shower fell apart, delivering only cold or very hot water
4 month old Sainsbury receipt found in wardrobe, obviously low cleaning standard
Light fitting fell apart, fusing room lights
Breakfast cheap pulpy sausages, tinned mushrooms and tomatoes, toast almost toasted. Do not waste your money using this disgusting hotel

1  Thank bradentonduo
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Avoid this hotel!! Room was dirty, crooked, mis-matched and the bathroom door did not close as it did not fit the door frame! Also there was a rusty screw on the floor of the shower.
There was no way of locking the room door from the inside, so felt very unsafe.
Although our stay here was cheap, the only positive was that there was free parking at the front of the hotel. I will certainly not be returning or recommending this place!

Reviewed 22 April 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a night over the Easter break. We were greeted warmly and were allowed to check in earlier than 2pm as our room was ready. The actual room was very large with an ensuite bathroom.

The hotel is in need of paint and the floorboards were uneven. Both our TV and our phone didnt work so we had to go down to reception to ask to get them fixed (which they did).

In the morning I attempted to get into the shower and realised I was too tall to properly stand up in the bath (low ceiling) so I had to shower with my neck on an angle. Im only 5"9 so anyone taller than that would have the same problem.

Good service but rundown hotel

Reviewed 24 January 2010

Great location, but quite frankly you shouldn't waste your money or time.
There are very few staff and those that are about have difficulty in understanding you.

The rooms are grotty, small and unpleasant with non matching furniture. Our room had a 5% tilt, so when you put your keys on the bedside cabinet they slid off!!

The walls are paper thin with no privacy at all; you can literally hear everything said by other guests. Not pleasant when its 5 am in the morning and everyone seems to be arguing....

Met a member of staff 'cleaning' in the morning on the way down to breakfast... spraying furniture polish into the air and onto the carpet to give the impression of a cleaned atmosphere.... I have no doubt that no hoover had been shown to any part of the hotel for years.

With regards to the 'full English breakfast' it was inedible; undercooked, and no one could be really sure if the sausage was meat based or sawdust.

However, if you are totally desperate and need to shelter from the rain and cold..... find somewhere else!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2009

The location of the hotel is good and is central to amenities. However, it was very noisy. There were loud voices and door banging in the early hours of the morning which went on for some time. The noise must have carried throughout the hotel. The bed in our room was past its sell by date a long time ago as we could feel the springs! The last straw was the half cooked breakfast which we sent back but was returned in much the same state. Sorry, but we could not recommend this hotel to anyone. We did make all these points to the owner/manager and he did say sorry; perhaps we picked a bad night to stay there!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Throughout my teens, I was a camper in the 1980's before campsites were governed by hygiene and health and safety legislation. I put my head down on many plots of land where the owner was out to make a quick quid from campers staying the night. All the filthy old cowsheds with dividing rails that were used as toilets always filled me with amusement rather than shock and dread.
The Brighton beach hotel is in a class of its own. There is no classification, it is off the bottom of the scale, but as I climbed the twisted staircase with filthy stained carpet to my room, I was smiling with amusement rather than scowling with the disgust it deserved.
In the room, the furniture had been reclaimed from a council dump (surely!). The wardrobe was too unstable to use and could lean on its base with a gentle push from my little finger. The clock radio had no set button anymore, so was completely useless (When did you last see a Pye clock radio?) . There was a section of skirting board missing to the side of the wardrobe which left a large gaping hole that had collected cobwebs and anything else that may have crawled in there to make a home. There was similar hole in the bathroom beneath the shower where an ill-fitting piece of old skirting board had been nailed to half-cover an even bigger hole. The view of the pier less than 75 yards away was a bonus, but the window I viewed it from did not open properly as the sash cord had broken and was hanging down over the window for all to see.
The breakfast was described as full English but was more like Much-less-than-full English as, like everything else about this hotel (in essence) was done very much on the cheap, and each portion on the plate must have been carefully measured with a tablespoon. The lady that was serving breakfasts carried on with chirpy resolve, despite the embarassment she must have felt (surely again) at dishing up food in an underground room with filthy (YES!!) broken windows mended leas-than-discretely with tape, disgusting paintwork, and sugar bowls than had missed their annual wash for decades with half disolved globs of discoloured sugar (Grey) stuck to the sides of the bowl and back grains of something in the sugar itself.
Okay, generally the place was run down and running on the minimum, but that was must have been part of the attraction for those who were staying there as I never heard a complaint and their were suited oriental buisnessmen having breakfast as well as a number of other professional looking sorts. The beds were comfortable, and for three nights, the Brighton beach hotel was not as bad as the cowsheds of my youth, but be warned, it is dirty, has no good points apart from a sea view, and you are in for an experience if you dare book. There is parking at the front, but so tight is the parking that it is difficult to get to the front door on foot even with a rucsac and I would imagine, very difficult or impossible with a suitcase. The fan in my bathroom screeched like a banshee when I turned on the light and it woke up my daughter in cold sweat (truly).
Dare you spend a night in the museum? Go on, its an experience and cheap. The Brighton beach hotel is in a class of it's own with it's car boot furnishings and fittings, (Including the useless limp dorknobs). The whole place left me wondering where in the hell the public health inspectors had been, or perhaps they too choose to steer well clear of this hotel from hell. Don't be fooled that it is must be in the 21st century because it has a website. websites can be devised to suggest anything. There is nothing 20th century about this place let alone 21st century.
Perhaps there is a category for this place after all.....bargain bucket accommodation with breakfast thrown in....or thrown up!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family