“Brightons best B&b”
Review of Alvia Hotel

Alvia Hotel
Ranked #19 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2012

A fantastic warm welcome, is the first of many great experiences at the gem of a B& B.
We were offered the choice of two rooms, both of which were lovely. We chose a room at the top front that was immaculate. Clean, smart, and surprisingly spacious, everything and more that you would want from a hotel let alone a B&B.

The place is spotlessly clean, but warm and welcoming. And also took advantage of the off street parking, a real plus.

Breakfast was great, with constant checks that we had everything we needed, and to see if we wanted top ups

A thoroughly comfortable sleep and a great experience all round. We cannot recommend this lovely place highly enough.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
brightonianm, Owner at Alvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Thank you for your kind remarks. We are working hard to make guest's experiences of us as enjoyable as possible and your review shows we are going in the right direction.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night after going out locally in Kemp Town (for those that don't know, a locality within Brighton) for my birthday, we were not disappointed. When we arrived before I had even said hello I was greeted by name (probably last guest to check in but I liked the attention to detail). The welcome was friendly and the owner offered us a cup of tea, to tell us about the local festival and give us a map with directions if needed. The room was small but perfectly adequate, nicely set out, good bed and comfortable. The breakfast the next day was a very high standard and we both enjoyed our full english. The hotel is very clean and in a good location for all that Brighton has to offer.

Why do I not give this 5 out of 5, the bathroom had paint peeling off the wall and the toilet seat was slightly cracked, but these are very minor issues compared to the overall picture which is very good.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and after a night out that is a lot of stairs to climb! But, it was very...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ukajay

Thank you for your kind remarks. We are sorry that your enjoyment was spoiled by the state of the bathroom and have refurbished it since your visit. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

What I first noticed on arriving was how clean, neat and tidy the place was-exactly how you want to first find a hotel. We were served by the manager with cups of tea on arrival which was a nice touch and overall service from both managers of the Alvia was courteous and friendly throughout. Admittedly our room's telly was temporarily out-of-order and no radio was to be found within, but hey, we had a laptop so no biggie. I actually lost a sock in that room (if you ever find it boys, then count yourself as Master Detectives) and opted to look under the bed-with a little trepidation, but it proved to be more than acceptable. The fried breakfast the following morning was really impressive too - flavoursome and perfectly-cooked-it set us up nicely for the day. We shall certainly stay there again. On a final note for fans of that great movie The Artist, the owner's sweet pet doggie is a double of Uggi!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neil M
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I was here while attending a conference and how nice it is to stay in a comfortable, clean and well located guest house with a friendly welcome. Far better than the expensive and impersonal rooms of the big hotel chains.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I would recommend this excellent, modern and friendly Boutique Hotel to everyone!! My husband and I will definitely call The Alvia for a room the next time we travel to Brighton. Excellent value for money, very clean and the owners were lovely, friendly and only too happy to help in any way they could. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was great, the kind you stay in longer than you need to... The location of the hotel is fantastic only minutes from the beach and great pubs and resturants. The breakfast was great and very good value. The only disappointment about our stay was that we went able to stay longer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
brightonianm, Owner at Alvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Alvia. I am sorry that you had cause to be disappointed but am a little surprised by your comments, given that you gave no indication of how you felt when you checked out.

There are a couple of points which I wish to respond to. Room 10, which you upgraded to having booked via the kgb deal, has been complimented on this website for its (large) size and view. I agree that there are a lot of stairs but, as a city centre establishment in an old building we don't have the facility to install a lift.

With regard to the parking, I explained to you as I was helping you load the car that we had other guests arriving who had pre arranged parking, which meant that we couldn't extend your stay.

Finally, I am sorry if you and your party felt that I was off hand; we try hard to welcome people into our home, which other guests have remarked upon.

Mark

Reviewed 1 March 2012

I would most definitely stay here again, very cheap considering how clean, modern and nice the hotel is and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The room was a nice size, bathroom had everything needed. Free wifi throughout and the location is fantastic as its a 30 second walk to the sea front, with the pier a 5 min walk along.

Above all i highly recommend, especially as this is one of the very few hotels that allows you to book for one night, i will book again on my next visit to Brighton.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7, great window view onto the street with loads of natural daylight.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DavidJessica2012
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We needed a room for 1 saturday night in Brighton with parking and this was one of the few hotels that would take a single night booking at the weeekend and had parking available (only two parking spaces, so need to book early). I don't do breakfast and they kindly reduced the price because of this. The hotel was exactly what I was looking for: clean, stylish, tastefully furnished rooms at a very reasonable price. The guys who ran the hotel were friendly and accomodating without being over the top. There were some nice touches - packets of love hearts on our pillows (possibly as near to Vaentines day!), enough tea and coffee for two cups each plus some nice biscuits and we were given a cup of coffee when we arrived after our long drive. The room was not large, but it was perfectly sufficient, there was also a clock radio/cd player as well as a TV which was very useful. It was only a short walk from here to the seafront and all the attractions of Brighton. For the price we paid I can't imagine finding a better hotel in Brighton, I would thoroughly reccomend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple