“Avoid” 1 of 5 bubbles

BYOC Brighton
Ranked #14 of 121 Nightlife in Brighton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: It's strange but prohibition in the United States during the 20s did great things for drinks and drinking culture. Bad tasting bathtub gins forced bartenders to find exciting new ways to flavour drinks and the police constantly on the prowl for bootlegged booze drove people underground, creating their own a secret world that celebrated the sharing of drinks and company. The speakeasy was born. At BYOC we strive to deliver everything that was great about the speakeasy without the danger of being busted by the coppers at any moment. Simply bring a bottle of your favourite spirit to one of our hidden away haunts and have our team of skilled bartenders, armed with an exciting array of homemade syrups, juices and bitters fix you something that really tickles your fancy, whether your taste buds are lusting after a classic or something a little more adventurous. So for an evening of flavour, frivolity and fedoras unlike any other, look no further than BYOC. The spirit of the speakeasy.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Not the best of experiences....Sat in a dark room for 2 hours, was served 3 drinks within the 2 hours, our 'mixologist' spent most of his time upstairs away from our party and then staff then tried to keep the booze which we had supplied when we were asked to leave, Complete con.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Starman X
158jojo, Manager at BYOC Brighton, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
I am really sorry to hear about your experience at BYOC. Please email me at media@byoc.co.uk with more details about the date and time of your visit I would really appreciate it.

We guarantee at least 4 cocktails per guest over a two hour period and in Brighton most guests end up having around 7 or 8! It is highly unusual for anyone to get less than that and so I am intrigued to find out when your visit took place.

Please accept an invitation to you and your party to come back and try BYOC for free to show you exactly what everyone else has experienced.

Joseph

“Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

This cocktail bar is something special. Lauren 'looked after us'. As well as being an excellent mixologist in respect of traditional cocktails, Lauren also has some unqiue recipes of her own. All of the mixers and other ingredients are fresh. There isn't a carton in sight!
We all felt thoroughly spoilt at the end of our two hour slot (by the way we were invited to stay for longer) and nicely tipsy. I have already booked again!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“An Amazing & Unique NYE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

BYOC is a hidden gem in the heart of the South Laines. It was through word of mouth that I managed to discover this place. As soon as I heard the concept I knew this would be perfect for a New Years Eve celebration. I had lots of communication with the manager, Nathaniel. The booking was for 20+ people so there was lots of alcohol to be purchased. I was given a few ideas of things to buy to make the cocktails even more creative! The staff excelled there selves with their cocktail making skills...and my demanding friends! My favourite cocktail was Gingerbread Rum and Ice-cream - naughty but nice!

The venue itself is spread over two floors, with low-lghting, bare brick walls and speak easy decor. There is a silent movie screen cinema for entertainment. There is no other place like this in Brighton. I will definitely return again for the BYOC experience.

1 Thank lauren m
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A unique experience - you must go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Went to the BYOC as a surprise for my birthday booked by my partner. The location is very low key, so much so that I mistook it for an empty shop which only adds to the charm of the place. It is an intimate venue with a small capacity which allows you to get to know and speak to the attentive and lovely mixologists. Our mixologists were Nat and Andy who took an interest in you, were funny and generally really lovely people. Most importantly they were fantastic at their jobs. We allowed them carte blanche to create anything they wanted and we weren't disappointed. Between the two of us we took one bottle of Cava and four (smaller) bottles of spirits including Brandy, Vodka and Dark Rum. Maybe a little to enthusiastic for two people but it was an absolutely wonderful experience.

You are paying for a great experience here with amazing and creative staff. I would recommend this as an alternative night with friends or as a romantic surprise for the other half!!

I will certainly be returning and want to thank everyone at BYOC for a fantastic night!!

“Magical experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Went here with a friend on a Friday evening and we loved every moment of our time there.
From the moment we rang the doorbell to allow us entry where we were greeted at the door by two charming bartenders holding beetroot and vanilla aperitifs for us, we realised that this was not going to be like any other cocktail bar experience.
We were taken through into what is a beautiful venue on three levels (complete with low level lighting and amazing features like an organ and tiny cinema) where we were introduced to our bartender for the evening. He concocted extraordinary cocktails for us after checking what our tastes and preferences were and we were absolutely amazed at what he turned our bottle of gin into time and time again throughout the evening in the cocktails he presented us with, he had such skill! He was fantastic and truly made our evening, and all of the staff were helpful and very friendly, making our whole experience so enjoyable.
I would recommend byoc for anyone looking for a sophisticated evening with a delicious twist. It's great value too. Make sure you eat beforehand though!