“Disappointing!”

BYOC Brighton
Ranked #13 of 122 Nightlife in Brighton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: It's strange but prohibition in the United States during the 20s did great things for drinks and drinking culture. Bad tasting bathtub gins forced bartenders to find exciting new ways to flavour drinks and the police constantly on the prowl for bootlegged booze drove people underground, creating their own a secret world that celebrated the sharing of drinks and company. The speakeasy was born. At BYOC we strive to deliver everything that was great about the speakeasy without the danger of being busted by the coppers at any moment. Simply bring a bottle of your favourite spirit to one of our hidden away haunts and have our team of skilled bartenders, armed with an exciting array of homemade syrups, juices and bitters fix you something that really tickles your fancy, whether your taste buds are lusting after a classic or something a little more adventurous. So for an evening of flavour, frivolity and fedoras unlike any other, look no further than BYOC. The spirit of the speakeasy.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Went to BYOC Brighton with a group of 10 last Friday. Having read other reviews, I was really looking forward to my visit. The place itself is really nice and we did get quite a few drinks out of it, at least in the last hour (we stayed for 2 hours). I think we received one drink each in the first hour and then the pace increased a bit. However, we were virtually ignored by the bartender throughout the night. We were never asked what we liked and it was never explained to us what drinks we were getting. We hardly interacted at all with the bartender and he definitely did not seem interested in doing so. I did go up to the bartender after I arrived a few minutes later than the rest of the group, to check in with him and to let him know what I liked as I assumed that he had already asked the rest of the group. However, I was later told that he had not asked anyone else either. I love cocktails and experimenting with flavors, and, although I cannot complain about the overall quality of the cocktails we received, it wasn't that special and the service was not attentive. I have no idea what I was served and I was led to believe it would be an interesting and interactive setting.

158jojo, Manager at BYOC Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Hi Sofia,

I'm sorry that you didn't have the experience you expected at BYOC. We specialise in a bespoke service; entertaining you with stories about the history of cocktails and spirits; engaging you with delicious explanations of all the wonderful home made ingredients we conjure up in our kitchen.

If you didn't have that from your visit, then you haven't experienced the BYOC we are so very proud to present. As such I'd like to offer you a complimentary table for 4 whenever is convenient for you to visit, so we can show you exactly what everybody is raving about!

Please get in touch at media@byoc.co.uk and we'll arrange a date.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Armed with our bottles of our favourite tipple we searched the lanes to find our secret cocktail bar. Once located you are show to your table in a small room decorated with things from days gone past. Your waiter arrives and describes all the wonderful juices and spirits that they use to mix with your chosen spirits and asks what flavours you like. Then the magic starts!!

We drank the most amazing cocktails and had a wonderful evening. We will definitely be back. Now looking forward to trying the London venue.

Thanks for a great time BYOC.

1  Thank Sarha R
158jojo, Manager at BYOC Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thankyou Laura! Last Saturday was an amazing night. I'm glad you got to be here when the room spontaneaously started dancing the sass to Peggy Lee - Fever! See you soon!

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Visited BYOC in Covent Garden with friends and had such a good time. If you are gonna do anything in Brighton make sure it is this. Joseph & Nathanial best bartenders ever. 5 stars and more

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Not the best of experiences....Sat in a dark room for 2 hours, was served 3 drinks within the 2 hours, our 'mixologist' spent most of his time upstairs away from our party and then staff then tried to keep the booze which we had supplied when we were asked to leave, Complete con.

1  Thank Starman X
158jojo, Manager at BYOC Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

I am really sorry to hear about your experience at BYOC. Please email me at media@byoc.co.uk with more details about the date and time of your visit I would really appreciate it.

We guarantee at least 4 cocktails per guest over a two hour period and in Brighton most guests end up having around 7 or 8! It is highly unusual for anyone to get less than that and so I am intrigued to find out when your visit took place.

Please accept an invitation to you and your party to come back and try BYOC for free to show you exactly what everyone else has experienced.

Joseph

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This cocktail bar is something special. Lauren 'looked after us'. As well as being an excellent mixologist in respect of traditional cocktails, Lauren also has some unqiue recipes of her own. All of the mixers and other ingredients are fresh. There isn't a carton in sight!
We all felt thoroughly spoilt at the end of our two hour slot (by the way we were invited to stay for longer) and nicely tipsy. I have already booked again!