“What a great find”
Review of The A Bar

The A Bar
Ranked #18 of 123 Nightlife in Brighton
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stumbled on this bar quite by accident on our recent visit to Brighton. We ended up finishing our nights out here every night. The bar man was very polite and was very welcoming each evening which was a nice touch. It's not very often you visit somewhere and get recognised with a polite "how are you today?" and a friendly smile. The atmosphere was good, not too crowded or too empty, with good back ground music, which catered for a varied musical taste. The prices were very reasonable. The ambience was good. The toilets were clean and tidy and not smelly! With plenty of soap and hot water and a hand dryer. When we next come to Brighton this will be the first bar we come to. Thanks for making this a memorable time

There are newer reviews for The A Bar

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Popped in for a drink yesterday in the bar as I have done on and off for the past 15 years or so. My partner's juice was off so he asked them for an exchange which after tasting it and then (disgustingly) returning it to him, said there was nothing wrong with it and that they would not replace it. I intervened at this point and told them in no uncertain terms what I thought if their "customer service" at which point I was asked to finish my drink and leave! Needless to say, I just demanded my money back and we left. Didn't get the guy's name but he was a black guy claiming to be the manager which with customer service skills like that, does not bode well for the future if this place. Needless to say, we shall never be going back.

4  Thank Steve_belton125
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Lovely people, good food, nice beer. We kept finding ourselves back there at lunchtime and after dinner during the weekend.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I can't comment on this place as a hotel, but as a bar i can.

It was a sunny saturday afternoon, and we fancied a seaside drink. Having an outdoor patio overlooking the sea, we thought this bar would provide a perfect spot. Me and my partner cycled down and met two friends on the way. The outdoor area is quite spacious and there was no-one sitting in it, so we went to wheel our bikes in to lean against the wall (obviously if it had been busy or at any point if we thought they could be in the way we would have found somehwere else more suitable, but didn;t think it would be a problem in this current circumstance).

In what could have been politely resolved by a simple "excuse me, could you not bring your bikes in" was instead met with an almighty, agressive shout and a man running down the stairs screaming about how we had to 'get out' and 'could we not read the sign' that was 'written in english' on the railings outside, amongst other rude comments, however it was all such a horrid blur I can't recall all of what was said.

Now, of course we hadn't seen the small sign tied to the railings outside, or of course we would have respected this notice. Howerver the railings were actually a blur of signs , NO HEN DO'S, NO STAG DO"S and , I still didnt see the bike sign but apparently NO BIKES.

To be fair I can understand some of theses requests, however the manager and the staffs attitude basically projected that what they really want is NO CUSTOMERS !!

I was so taken aback by his disgusting maner, attacking body language and shouts, that we backed out feeling threatened, alarmed, and quite in shock.
It was also met by comments such as 'you'll have to go somewhere else' by three other members of staff smoking outside who weren't quite as bad as the previous man (who i presume was the manager), but at this point we were already leaving and was completely unecessary.

I was bemused at why, on a sunny saturday afternoon when the place was empty, that they were refusing business, but more so at why they dealt with (what shouldn't have been a predicament) the way they did. My partner was nearly in tears due to the humiliation she felt, and took a while to shake off the shock. Needless to say we took ourselves elsewhere and won't be returning. Ever again.

I rarely write reviews, and if so they are positive as I believe completely in supporting local businesses. However i feel the need to warn people that are on a weekend wander and would like a nice relaxing sit in the sun and a beer, that their afternoon might somersault if visiting this place.

2  Thank Jay N
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Just the ideal place to spend an afternoon chatting with friends.
The terrace has the best view in Brighton.