“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Ranked #74 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Hastings, United Kingdom
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My fiance booked this hotel for me for our anniversary as a suprise weekend. We have been to Brighton before but never stayed over night and we were looking forward to enjoying the resturants and bars.
When we arrived at the hotel we were asked to pay for the whole 2 night stay before taking our bags to our room. Which we thought was strange.

We then climbed the four narrow flights of stairs to reach our hole, I mean room. The website makes the rooms look big and luxurious but they are NOT. I couldn't even find anywhere to put my small suitcase. There was no en suite and this was not made clear on the website and at time of booking otherwise my boyfriend would not have booked it. When we asked to move to another room with ensuite they said there weren't any avaliable but that we could have one nearer to the shared bathroom. We tried this but it was just as small and no wardrobe and the bed was very uncomfortable.

We then said we were not happy and suddenly an ensuite room became available. However the owners were VERY rude about letting us have it. That was the final straw so we said we were leaving. However because they make you pay before you have even put your bag down we lost our money. We found another lovely hotel for that night and another for the Saturday as we refused to let these people ruin our special weekend. However it became a lot more expensive than it should have been as we had to pay for this hotel we never stayed in and the others.

So, don't be persuaded by the website or the good reviews on this site. The hotel is a rip off with horrible rooms and rude owners. DO NOT stay at it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Joanne883
Petrona, Owner at Leona House, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
We generally dont respond to negetaive reviews by customers but in this instance feel we could not ignore the false comments made and we would like to set matters straight.

On the 7th October this customer and his fiancee arrived at Leona House having booked a double non en suite room on line for two nights. After registration they were asked to pay the balance owing. The first night deposit was paid on line 3 weeks earlier at the time of booking.
This is our booking policy which is stated on our website. The guests were given the room keys and shown to their room. Within a few minutes the man came back to enquire if there were any double en suite rooms available stating he realised he had made a mistake booking the wrong room. We then offered him two alternative rooms.which were available at the time, a double non en suite room next to the bathroom or a king en suite room. They both looked at the room next to the bathroom and decided on that one.

A few minutes later he returned enquiring about the en suite room stating his fiancee was still unhappy about not having an en suite room. He was shown to the room and told the price. He went off to discuss this with his fiancee. He later came back to inform us they weren't staying, could they have a refund. We told him their payment was non refundable but agreed to let them have half their money back and we would let him have the balance if we managed to re book the room. They seemed happy and left thanking us. Unfortunately the room remained empty for the two nights.

Please note while all of this was taking place his fiancee who wrote this review stayed away and did not take part in any of the conversations.

We were not rude to these customers. We did everything within our power to rectify the booking mistake made by them in the first place. These are the true facts of the matter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Leonard house is great value for money with its central location to the pier and town. Felt very welcome and comfortable staying here. The breakfast was perfect everyday. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2011
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 19 August 2011

If you are looking for a central, newly and tastefully decorated boutique hotel, Leona House is the right place to stay in Brighton. It is a small family-managed hotel, which feels like home (rather than a hotel). The Owners were very friendly and helpful during our stay. Only on our check-out day, I could not feel their warmth the same way (I guess they were in a mad rush, since they were - as far as I saw - the only two hotel personnel dealing with everything from cleaning the rooms to preparing breakfast). Our room was absolutely clean and fresh, since we had asked the hotel for a very clean room before arriving (we always ask for clean rooms when we stay in UK hotels due to our bad experiences). On the check-in day, the Owners told us that they "deeply" cleaned our room "due to our special request", which made me glad that we had asked for a very clean room before arriving (I hope that the other rooms were as clean as ours!). In sum, we enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed the weekend of Pride. The location was very central and just a short walk from everything. Hazel the owner is lovely and really friendly and welcoming. Our room was nice and very clean and the bed was comfortable. The shared bathroom was fine and we didn't have to wait to use it even though the place was full. The breakfast was the best ever. I think the bad reviews are unfair as if people want 5 star accommodation they should be willing to pay for it. We would definitely stay again and recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I have to say I have been to Brighton on many occasions and This B&B was disgusting The room was ok basic but enough for what you need. However the Owners were Very rude especially the Women. She has NO customer service skills and if she does not like you she will ask you to leave.. So beware.. I had to pay when I got there which I thought was Poor. I would never step foot in this place again

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank gav1406

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Weymouth, Dorset
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here with my mum, the guest house is so close to everything, shops, restaurant, pier and the Pavilion. The hosts were really friendly and had recently redecorated the rooms with lovely regency colours in keeping with the age of the property. Its a shame there are some bad reviews on here, I can understand its a bit noisy at night with the Jazz Club opposite, however i slept right through it. So maybe it depends on whether you are a light sleeper. If you want to be right in the centre of a great place like Brighton you have to accept a bit of noise! The breakfast was good too.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

After spending a long day at work and several hours travelling for my weekend away with two friends, the last thing I wanted or expected was to be shouted at and enter an argument with the owners about the bill which we had to pay as soon as we stepped over the threshold. We spent as little time as possible in this B and B as we didn't want any more unpleasantness to spoil our weekend. I will add that the £60 that was over-charged was eventually re-paid but only after numerous e-mails and after I got the regulator involved! Extremely rude staff and an unfriendly atmosphere - I would only recommend this place to somebody I don't like!! In this present economic climate and with the tourism industry being hit hard, I would have thought that hotel owners would be doing all they could to try and win customers.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends