“great stay”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Torquay, United Kingdom
“great stay”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Just had a stay at the lovely hotel Una. It was in a good quiet location and the room we stayed in, jubba if I remember correctly had a nice seperate lounge. The room was warm with the most comfortable bed Ive slept in! The decor was fantastic with nice homely touches. The breakfast was excellent with everything you could want, and the staff were really friendly, helpful and gave us some good tips of where to eat in the area. we are planning another trip for a bit longer next time and would definately return. I had a snoop at the other rooms before I left and all are different but you couldnt go wrong as they all have fantastic features. Thanks to the staff for giving us a good stay.

4 Thank gemma020

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed for two-nights in the Maja room - I had planned it as a romantic getaway for my Husband and had chosen this hotel over all others because of its top-rating on Trip Advisor.
We don't get many opportunities for time away from the children, and I had hoped that this hotel would be very special.
I rang the hotel and spoke to staff about the rooms (very helpful), and felt happy that the Maja would be lovely, I also paid the weekday rate for the two nights £115 a night) as there was a winter offer on.
On arrival the hotel was clean, and well presented and the staff friendly. But when we were shown to our room my heart sank at the every small size of it, and what I thought was quite a dark colour scheme for the size of the room. In the photo the bed clothes had been white, and the rug much brighter which made a difference compared to the stone/brown colour-scheme we found. I know I chose the standard double, but even paying the special weekday rate for this room, I did not feel it was value for money. I was aware I had picked a room with a "rear view", but had naively not realised just what an awful view it was. It really took the edge of what had been a long and exciting wait for my romantic weekend. This is why I would only rate the stay as average.
On the whole the staff were really help[ful, and I did try and convey my disappoint to the recptionist, but they were fully booked and I suppose there was nothing they could do. I have to admit, that both my husband and I did feel as though the same satff member then avoided us all weekend following this, becasue they knew we were unahappy! That was also frustrating.
The hotel in general is itself really lovely, has an intimate feel and is very well decorated. Breakfast was very nice and the dining area light, bright and airy. The location is superb and Brighton itself exceeded all our expectations - I can't wait to go back, although I would only stay in the same hotel if I could afford a much bigger bedroom. I didn't realise how important room size was until I stayed here. If you can afford it, the I would recommend staying here in a bigger room.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are very smal, adn teh rear view very ugly! Consider this when booking
1 Thank Sumargar
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is the place to stay in Brighton. The staff are friendly, attentive and the service was excellent - nothing was too much trouble. The room we stayed in was lovely - Lossie - fantastic modern design and everything you needed - very comfortable bed and the room was very clean. The freestanding bath was the perfect indulgence. The hotel bar is great - we had a few drinks in the bar after we'd been out - the barman is very friendly and happy to create cocktails and recommend drinks. Breakfast was also excellent - good quality produce and very generous portions. Highly recommended.

3 Thank NM3378
South London
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My sisters and i cannot speak highly enough of the hotel and its staff. In particular, Paul was so helpful and kind - with a great sense of humour too. The rooms were lovely and the whole hotel was tastefully decorated. The rooms were very comfortable with lovely soft duvets and we all had a great time staying there. Shame it was only for one night! Will have to think of an excuse to come to Bighton so I can stay again.
Anna

Room Tip: Check on their website as the rooms are as nice as they appear in the photos allbeit slighty smaller
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Hania-Z
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Spent an enjoyable weekend in Brighton staying at the superb Hotel Una. We stayed in the Jubba suite -- quality decor with all the fine touches.

Can't rate the staff highly enough. Really friendly and attentive. Lovely breakfast, and the finest DVD collection I've seen.

Room Tip: The Jubba suite is a good bet.
2 Thank fruitandnutcake
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Back last night from a two night break - stayed in a superior double which was better than many junior suites I've stayed in. Breakfast in bed at no extra cost was a real bonus though if there was one slight irritant it was try to eat a cooked breakfast without a tray or a table in the room.

The room was lovely, the bathroom very well equipped and also very pretty - unusual layout with a mezzanine and sliding doors for air and light. DVD library was extensive and up to date.

But as everyone has mentioned - its the service that makes this place. The bar staff, the reception, the speed at which room service arrives, the restaurant they booked, the discount they suddently remembered I hadn't got (or known about) that they volunteered etc etc Funny, friendly and helpful staff are unusual in a hotel this chic

I had meant to stay at the Hotel Du Vin this weekend, but when I tried to move from one night to two, the bill went through the roof so I moved to Una based on trip advisor reviews. Best decision ever - cost me £250 less for a room that was at least as good and service that was much better than anything I have experienced at Hotel Du Vin.

I've always been a bit of a fan of the Du Vin chain but this place has changed my mind!

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanna B
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

A consistently excellent experience. We stayed in the Jubba room, which was brilliantly designed and appointed. The bed and pillows were amongst the best we've ever experienced, and we've stayed in many outstanding hotels. The staff were attentive and pleasant, and the breakfast was great.

• Stayed January 2012