“A delightful, relaxing and enjoyable experience”
Review of Hotel Una

Hotel Una
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
“A delightful, relaxing and enjoyable experience”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Hotel Una is situated on a lovely square overlooking a grassy area with a view of the sea, just a short walk from Brighton Pier. We stayed in "Usk" room on the 4th floor. We were later informed that all the rooms at Una are named after rivers! The room is stylishly decorated in red hues with soft rugs and leather furniture and boasts plenty of contemporary touches. There are all the high-end trappings you'd expect of anywhere described as 'boutique': flat-screen TVs in each room and iPod docks. Usk has a lovely cosy bedroom with a small bathroom to the side and then a separate living area complete with rainfall shower and a freestanding deep bath tub with White Company toiletries to boot. The now rare tea and coffee making facilities were very welcome, offering a variety of Clipper teas and Fairtrade coffees and bottles of water. There was definitely a feel of staying at someone else's very stylish flat!
One of the staff Jana (apologies if I misspelled it!) was very helpful in recommending places to eat. We tried Sahara (a Middle Eastern restaurant 5 mins walk away) which was very tasty!
Breakfast was delivered to our room at a time to suit, by filling out an order on a card which you hang on the door handle the night before. We had Eggs Benedict and a Full English with coffee, apple juice and toast (all of it delicious!)
We would absolutely stay here again. A real gem of a hotel and a perfect break!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Stmc82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

apart from pauls unique view of our accent (which may i say we agreed whole heartedly)

what can we say

room 10+
hospitality (including paul) 10+
breakfast (including the waitresses) 10+

if youve never been to brighton go

but please stay at una's we will again

a+++++++++

Room Tip: ask paul he'll let you choose
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank 407andy
Berkshire, England
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in August (Orinoco). The room and bed are comfortable and there is a seperate seating area as well. The hotel is well positioned for Brighton sea-front, shops and the many excellent places to eat (we went to Ole Ole where the tapas are stunning). There is a car park opposite the hotel that was being refurbished whilst we were there Staff at the hotel and first rate - helpfull, kowledgeable and there when you need them to be. The eggs benedict for breakfast was great and they catered to my partners wheat intollerance very well. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a couple of nights at the sea side, with some great places to eat - and of course the dolphin derby on the pier.

Room Tip: The pictures on the website are worth a look to ensure you have the right room for what you need.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JayneHTB
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 10 August 2012

After reading the excellent reviews on here I opted for Hotel Una instead of a normal business hotel such as the Hilton or a Marriott.

The plaudits afforded the hotel by Trip Advisor reviewers gave me the impression I'd stumbled across a gem and would be silly to book my normal one-nighter hotel when away on what was a 2 day business trip.

I looked at the rooms on the website and chose the Vedea, described as a 'Small Double'. The review on the Hotel website for the Vedea, taken from Trip Advisor, says it was the best hotel the reviewer had stayed in. I'm afraid to say their travel must have been limited.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the hotel. Indeed the reception from the staff is outstanding. I suspect customer service (which I didn't have a great deal of need to rely upon) is excellent and that should be applauded. However, it's not a 'luxury boutique' hotel.

I'll get my initial gripes out of the way to begin with:

Firstly, my room was substantially smaller than expected. I would describe it as a small single instead of a small double. Walking space around the double bed is about 12" either side. In front of the bed is a small seating area. If you want to watch the TV you'll sit on the end of the bed because the seats are underneath the TV.

It didn't feel luxury or boutique. It wasn't bad, far from it, but it's certainly not luxury. Having toiletries from The White Company in the bathroom doesn't make something luxury - it's an ingredient in the overall experience, but nothing more.

The air conditioning unit in the Vedea doesn't work. I had it set on 16 degrees and the room seemed to get warmer. The Vedea is already very warm. It is at the top of the building with a small velux type window for ventilaiton. I slept with the window open all evening.

To be fair, I didn't report the aircon to the hotel because I was having an early night after a long day and had work to do beforehand on what was a one night stay.

The bathroom is tiny. I really do mean, tiny. A sink and a toilet with a shower that is half built in to the entrance area.

I should have looked closely at the room photographs on the website. If you look closely it gives away the fact that this is a small room. If I'd done that I wouldn't have booked.

I hadn't realised the hotel didn't do meals or room service. When I asked if they could arrange a meal/room service on check-in the gentleman (very polite, very professional, no complaints at all here) said they didn't but they could get me fish and chips or order a pizza etc in.

Instead I opted to take a short walk to the centre and bought sandwiches and a pasta dish to eat in my room.

Breakfast was fine. I had a mixed selection of toast, fruit juice and coffee.

The exterior of the hotel is fine. I can understand why someone else has said it has the look of a B&B but I think that's a little harsh. They've put small potted plants outside that are much better than most of the other establishments in Regency Square and they've tried. Did it look a little 'worn'? Possibly. However, does it make you think you're arriving at a luxury boutique hotel? No.

What should be said here though is that I don't think anything could look like a luxury hotel in Regency Square. I've been here before - and it has gone downhill to a quite astonishing level. Buildings now look very badly maintained, the park looked a mess and I did notice there were a few people hanging around it that don't exactly fill you full of confidence. That's not the hotels fault, but location does matter to some and this wasn't quite what I anticipated.

Please don't think this is a bad hotel, it's certainly not. It's average for the £115 I paid. However, on reflection I'd have had more room, room service and a better experience at any of the major traditional business stay chains - and possibly for slightly less.

I think the best summary would be that the hotel just doesn't live up to the reviews I've read and doesn't match the impression the website gave me. Quirky is a good word for it. But another might be over priced and over described.

I suspect some of the other rooms are much better and I admit that the temperature of the room and the aircon not working really didn't help my review here - and nor did I report it as I've said because of the short nature of my stay - but shouldn't a luxury boutique hotel be checking that everything is in order before someone stays?

My advice is that is you're genuinely looking for luxury, this isn't it. It's just a good average hotel for which you'll pay a price that would, in my opinion, get you the same or more in any mainstream chain hotel.

The staff were great. Lovely people. Maybe they make the experience for couples and it's just not suited to the business traveller who is going to spend time in their room working? That said, I wouldn't stay here with my wife because I know she'd not consider it luxury. She'd say it was an attempt to be luxury without the finish.

Room Tip: From my experience - they're small. Choose as large a room as you can.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
13 Thank Zillion
London
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel in July 2012 for a wedding anniversary treat. We spent two nights and have to say the service was very good, all the staff eager to help, friendly and made special arrangements for our celebration. Even before visiting the staff were able to offer advice on special treats (I ordered wine, chocolates and rose petals to be laid out in the room for our arrival) and sent a list of recommended local restaurants, which was really useful.

The room itself (Maya) was very nicely decorated, well kitted out, very clean and pretty. Only downsides are this room is fairly small and not a brilliant view, though I think other rooms had sea views.

The location is good, just a short walk to the beach and to town, and staff are on hand to give directions, make restaurant and taxi bookings etc. We had a cocktail in the bar one evening before going out, which I would recommend as they were gorgeous and a great start to a night out.

Breakfast was very nice, though as a lover of the continental breakfast I would have liked more 'light' options - freshly prepared fruit, pancakes, pastries etc.

Overall, very nice stylish 'boutique' hotel, small and charming and with helpful and friendly staff. Would visit again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Steph W
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stumbled upon Hotel Una, whilst traveling by myself. Very Lucky!!! This was such a gorgeous place to stay!

I stayed in the only available room, which was a single room. Therefore, whilst small, it was perfect, with everything I could have wanted. Clean, modern, comfortable bed, good quality bedding & pillows. Lovely bathroom facilities & Molton Brown toiletries. They lent me a folder of recent DVD's to watch.
The staff were exceptionally helpful & friendly (ie - they were happy to store my bag until the room was ready, they chatted while I had a drink by myself (!), the service at breakfast was wonderful - as was the breakfast itself.
Location was fantastic - not quite waterfront (but close), but almost in a nicer, quieter location.

All in all, I would highly recommend. The next time I am in Brighton, absolutely without hesitation I would stay at Hotel Una - this time with my husband & not in the single room!

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank josephine-simon
essex
Reviewed 2 August 2012

not a bad word to say, had an amazing one night stay in the Wista room. comfy beds lovely room gorgeous cocktails, and a yummy breakfast. will certainly be visiting again. Right on the beach front, and directly on top of the cheapest underground car park in brighton perfect if you have driven there. (half the price of other car parks at only 12.50 for 24 hours)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple