“Noise problems”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Montreal, Canada
“Noise problems”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have to second a recent reviewer. I do not know how this hotel got such high ratings. First of all, it is -- by the staff's own admission -- not a hotel but a bed and breakfast, with poorly acoustically insulated doors, floors, and walls. Know what you're getting into. At 3 am, I asked to be moved from my room because I could hear loud snoring coming from the adjacent room. I was put into the only other available room. At 7 am, I was woken up by the loud creaking floor boards in the room above me. With less than 4 hours of sleep, I was understandably upset. The staff did try to fix the problem. They offered to try to find me another hotel (an annoying solution at best). But I suggested that they put me on the top floor (where you can't hear other people's footsteps.) Eventually I was moved to a third room. Also there are a lot of drunk people in the wee hours yelling outside on weekends. To be fair, the rooms are cute, well located, and the breakfast quite nice, but hotels are chiefly for sleeping, and if you are a light sleeper or like your quiet, this hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: Top floor. Don't take the single room (too close to other rooms).
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank O M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Took the Aragon room for the night after our wedding, unfortunately paid in advance because we would have refused after that night. The room smelled like cheese and feet, we sniffed it out to find a wooden tray that had been helpfully cleaned under and placed back on the wooden shelf whilst wet, and was now producing white mould. The receptionist tried his best to clean it but to no avail, it still smelled slightly iffy but we figured we'd stick with it since we really wanted that room.

We were THEN informed that the shower may or may not have hot water, since the previous couple had complained about it and it was supposed to be fixed; suffice to say it wasn't. So we were moved into the Belise room which was "of the same standard" and the staff couldn't imagine why we weren't impressed with having to move, because of said fact.

The Belise was nice and didn't smell, the jaccuzi was wonderful and the TV was great but it wasn't the room we'd chosen for our honeymoon night, at one point during the booking process the Aragon was fully booked and we decided not to stay there because we only wanted that room. But I digress.

The breakfast in bed thing sounded wonderful, but there was a tick box menu that we foolishly ticked each thing we wanted, turned out you could tick about one box out of all the choices, some being something simple as "mushrooms" or "toast". So breakfast was small but edible, left a sour taste in our mouths after the night we'd had.

Despite our best efforts to get the hotel staff to understand our displeasure, they insisted that "these things happen since the rooms are all unique" WHAT that had to do with anything was beyond me.

Overpriced and not recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank alunia_moon
london
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Hotel Una really is a very, very, lovely boutique hotel. The rooms are beautifully furnished - making excellent use of space, lighting etc.

The individuality of each room gives the hotel lots of character and is a perfect antidote to the sometimes soulless nature of larger chains.

My favourite thing,about this hotel though, has to be the friendly staff team. This was my second stay and I am now 100% sure that the good service I received on my first visit wasn't a fluke!

Great for breakfast...loved the Friday night tapas too. :-))

Will definitely be coming back here...I can't see myself rushing to stay anywhere else in Brighton.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank duttyfeet
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed in the Danube room with beautiful bay windows, deep leather sofa and a bed so comfy you don'y want to get up. Great staff who were friendly, efficient and informative and everything was spotless. The city of Brighton sadly has seen better days but in contrast Hotel Una is a stylish breath of fresh air.

2 Thank Lisa B
London
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We booked this hotel because of all the rave reviews on Tripadvisor and were very disappointed. We can't understand how it can be rated no.1 hotel in Brighton on Tripadvisor.
To be fair to the hotel our room was the last one available as the hotel was fully booked so maybe we were really unlucky and got the worst room.
The room named Rhine was on the third floor and although the first impression of both the room and bathroom were that they were both stylish and tastefully decorated we didn't have a comfortable stay.
The room was small and hot (no fan or air conditioning) and it had a low ceiling which made it feel claustrophobic. The floor boards creaked terribly every step you took and if you got up in the night the creaking woke the other person. The room was not well sound proofed and we could hear creaking from above and people's voices. The tiny bathroom (also stylishly decorated) had the loo crammed between the basin side and the bath and the loo paper was positioned behind our backs. My husband's head touched the ceiling in the shower
They forgot our 7am wake up call and the wifi in the room kept cutting out and my husband had to go downstairs to use his computer. For anyone with work to do and dependent on wifi this was a poor show.
The plus factors: Everyone in the hotel was enthusiastic, very helpful and friendly.
There was water and tea and coffee in our room and very nice quality towels, bed linen and toiletries. Breakfast was fine. The hotel is well located near the sea front but based on our experience we would not recommend it.

1 Thank multitrippers
Suffolk
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed in this hotel last week for a 40th birthday. On arrival we were upgraded to the Santana Room which we really appreciated.
The hotel is in an amazing location on Regency Square which has an underground car park which was very reasonably priced and secure - perfect!
The hotels itself was fab, great atmosphere, wonderful bath in our room and spotlessly clean. The staff couldn’t have been more helpful and friendly.
We had a cocktail in the bar on returning to the hotel in the evening, give it a go, it’s definitely worth trying.
Breakfast was fab and a really good choice.
All in all I loved this hotel and will be returning.

2 Thank Bullingstones
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Best hotel I have ever stay in!! Went with partner last week, the room was beautiful, staff were so lovely and warming, room and gorgeous bathroom spotless, we've stayed in some real dives recently and paid the same prices, so I would definitely say worth the money, our room had lots of personal touches which just made it very cosy and warming, couldn't fault a thing, booking for next weekend already!

• Stayed August 2013