“Great hotel, shame about the awful sleep quality”
Review of Hotel Una

Hotel Una
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

The Hotel Una is beautifully designed and decorated, the position is great and the staff are super friendly. If you'd asked me what I thought before I went to bed, it would have been 5 out of 5.

The problem is that there are wooden floorboards which creak like crazy, so every step taken in the room above you can be heard very loudly (or at least was in our room, Rhine). So we were woken up a fair few times during the night and it made it quite unrestful, especially as the room was unpleasantly hot, even with the heating off. Our floor was equally creaky so I'm sure we must have woken the people below us too.

Shame, as everything else was great.

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have chosen Una Hotel based on the positive reviews and effectively the staff is very helpful and professional. They realy took care of us in different ways (restaurant recommendations, places to visit, etc.). We stayed in the charming Quail suite which was very comfortable and spotless. Breakfast was very good also. I highly recommend the Una Hotel which is a prime location in Brighton.

1  Thank Foulyn01
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We visited the Hotel Una a few years ago so we were keen to see if the high standards we enjoyed on that first visit had been maintained. We are pleased to say they have. All off the staff we met were both professional and very helpful. The room (Lossie) was very nice and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was good. Restaurants were recommended and booked for us. In summary, a very well run hotel that we would use again and recommend to others.

5  Thank SteveHampshire
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed here on the night of September 6th, during a visit to my daughter who is at Sussex University. My husband had stayed here in June and highly recommended it. Although I had paid a very cheap rate for a single room I was upgraded to a double, which was really lovely, small but spotless shower room, white company toiletries, dressing gown, etc. I was really impressed by little details like the fact that there was a plug by the mirror so that you can dry your hair, it is amazing how often hotels don't have this. The hotel isn't particularly quiet, with creaky old floors, and seagulls, late night revellers outside etc, but I slept well, and Brighton is a noisy city, so I think you have to make allowances for this. The breakfast was really delicious, with high quality ingredients and everything perfectly cooked. What really makes this hotel stand out however is the fantastic staff, who greet you like a long lost friend and can't do enough for you. My daughter arrived before me to wait in the cozy little cocktail bar, and they made a real fuss of her too! The cocktails were delicious as well. I will certainly be back and having stayed in lots of Trip advisor highly rated hotels in Brighton (the Seattle, Greys and several others), this would be my first choice from now on.

Room Tip: I arrived late, maybe that is why I got the upgrade!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The hotel is of Regency Style in Regency Square, it looks out onto open green space, and is quiet because of it's location, but within easy walking distance of the coast road near the old West Pier. We chose it because it was nice and near The Brighton Centre, where we had booked to see a concert. The staff were really helpful and friendly. Breakfast only, is served in their restaurant, which was nicely laid out with a good choice, and quick efficient service. The room had a nice view. It had a bath in the corner of the room, which I personally find not a relaxing shape to lie in, also there was no where convenient to put your toiletries, it did have a heavy portable wooden screen you could use if you wanted. I will go there again, but next time I will ask for a shower...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lallie C
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel Una for 3 nights in August and loved it! Firstly, all the staff in this hotel are absolutely fantastic - very professional and polite, but also friendly and very accommodating - when we arrived exceedingly early on our check in day, the lovely guy on reception actually offered to drive us around Brighton to show us the sights, where to go etc - sorry, our fault we didn't get his name. Everyone seems to really enjoy working here and all are happy to 'go the extra mile', a real bonus for any stay in our book. We stayed in Danube, which is a really lovely room with a balcony. The weather was absolutely gorgeous so it was lovely to sit out and enjoy the sunshine. The room also has a stand-alone bath and a fab power shower. The bed was huge and one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in! However, if you have slightly creaking bones be aware - it's actually on a wooden platform on the floor so may be difficult for some people to get in and out of easily! The breakfast was lovely with a good selection and the bar area is fab - again, the staff here are fab! We really loved this hotel and would definitely be happy to recommend!

Room Tip: Danube and Eden have private balconies
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed for three nights earlier this week and had a very mixed experience. There are many positives; first the staff are very helpful and really want to help. The breakfast is good, the bar is stylish, the towels are large and fluffy and the beds are comfortable.

However, we had to relocate from our first room (Usk) which was stylish but totally impractical. It is presented as a separate bedroom and sitting room, but there is not enough space to make this work. A large free standing bathtub did not compensate for a tiny lavatory and a minuscule sink which made shaving and cleaning teeth a challenge and there was insufficient space to get to the far side of the bed in the tiny bedroom.

The second room (Orinoco) was more spacious and practical, but also had problems; squeaky floorboards, noise from the street and a six inch high coffee table that blocked access to the tea making facilities.

Think twice before spending £150 a night b&b. Book here if you want style over substance. It's a pity, because the guests (and the staff) deserve better.