“Comfy modern room, great location, we'll be back!”
Review of Jurys Inn Brighton

Jurys Inn Brighton
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Comfy modern room, great location, we'll be back!”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I booked this hotel through lastminute.com and got 10% off the price advertised direct on the Jurys website. Location is ideal for travelling to/from the station, we could see the hotel as the train pulled in and rather than walking out the main entrance at the front of the station you can turn left once you go through the ticket barriers and walk along the path on the left leading to the side entrance and you come out opposite the hotel. The reception area is large and modern and there was no queue to check in when we arrived at 2pm and the receptionist asked if we wanted to pay £20 to upgrade from standard to superior room in order to get a king bed and bath which we declined as didn't need either and I had previously read on here that there was little difference between the two. I asked for a quiet room and we were given one on the 5th (top floor) facing away from the station which was perfect. First impressions of the room were very good - modern, clean and nicely decorated with small flat screen tv and coffee making facilities. Getting to the seafront is very easy, the best route is to walk back through the station and leave by the front entrance walking straight down the hill - takes approx 10-15 mins and you can cut off to the left half way down to enter the North Laine area leading on to the Lanes or to the shopping centre on the right. Having seen hotels on the sea front I am pleased I chose Jurys which not only worked out much cheaper but was the nicest of the lot in my opinion. All in all the standard room is perfectly adequate and comfortable for a couple - comfy bed and great shower. We left our luggage with reception when we checked out and picked it up before catching our train. We will return!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room facing away from the station
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StarryEyed13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Greek first
London
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights with my girlfriend during the Brighton Great Escape Festival. I found the room expensive (£90 /night inc breaky) but isn't every hotel in Brighton? The room was clean and functional but nothing to write home about. Staff were helpful but don't get stung with the astronomical car parking charges in the nearby car park go further down the road and it's £12 / 24hrs not £20+!
Breakfast was a good buffet with plenty of cooked & cold options, fresh fruit, cereals and yoghurt's.
The hotel has a bar with staff who were happy to serve us as we strolled back during the early hours, they serve nice freshly ground coffee too!
No problems with noise during the night although the rooms were very stuffy!
I would not have a problem staying here again however the only downside is the location from the sea front and the town, a bit of a hike. It is however ideal if you arrive by train as the hotel is bang opposite, but do not expect a nice sea view!
Nice hotel as one would expect with the brand, does what it says on the tin but nothing special.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Went with this hotel as we had stayed in a jurys inn elsewhere and it was fine, the price compared to others at the time was also very good.
I called at about 10am to ask about early check - in and was assured we would have a room ready for us for 12pm. Arrived slightly after 1pm and whilst checking in overheard that the guy in front wanted adjoining rooms and ours was to be given to him while we had to wait for one to be hastily cleaned. After a five minute wait and some sort of confusion of how many nights we are staying for, we went to our room and the first thing i noticed was what looked like two bogies, complete with blood, smeared across the wall at the foot of very uncomfortable looking sofa bed. Instinct meant i cleaned it before i thought about taking a snap. This should have been the point at which i complained. Our view was of the railway track and my concerns of how noisy it might be were confirmed that evening. Before we set of to see Brighton i walked out from the toilet to find my son had opened the adjoining room door and was in next doors room! Good job for inquisitive kids! This was quickly locked after calling down to reception. The sleep that night was honestly the worst i have ever had in a hotel. The room itself was very noisy with the extractor fan in the bathroom constant, every other minute it was someone slamming a door. Trains coming and going thoughout the night and also traffic noise from the road was frequent. I think i got up twice to check if the window was actually closed it was so loud. We also had drunken idiots outside making a racket for about 10 minutes but i understand there probably isnt much the hotel could have done about that. Before bed i nipped down to the bar to have a pint and paid £3.85 for a pint that had about a two inch head on it. Not meaning to be nasty, the bloke was polite enough im just saying if u are to work behind a bar you should learn to pull a pint properly. Just some contructive critisism. Asked about a beer garden and was directed out past the restaraunt. Finished my beer and tried to walk back through the doors that i came through and found that they can only be opened from inside so i had to walk round the building to the front of the hotel. A couple more little points while i remember, the spotlights over the bed had no bulbs in, we had four guests but were only given 3 pillows. There are probably more small things that irked me but i cant think right now. For those of you thinking i just love to complain there were a few positives. The bathroom was clean and the shower was very nice and hot, there was a good supply of complimentary tea and coffee. We were also allowed to leave our bags with the hotel after checking out so we could spend another day on Brighton. It is a very well located hotel right next to the rail station and has loads of potential, as i mentioned we have stated in a jurys inn hotel before and it is a good brand.
Over all, it was a terrible stay, might be suitable for a crazy lads or lassies break but def not one for kids in my opinion.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the rear of the hotel away from the train tracks although i think u will strug...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank louis d
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
Dear louis d,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was disappointed to read about the negative elements of your stay. As you can see from previous reviews, we have a very high level of housekeeping standards.

In reference to your other comments, I apologise as we clearly did not deliver on this occasion. Please feel free to contact me at ----------- if you wish to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Damien Doyle
England
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The Jury's in Brighton is a very modern-looking hotel - perhaps slightly unfriendly from the outside - but the welcome is very warm and the reception staff are both friendly and helpful.
The rooms are quite basic but of a fair size and air-conditioned, very clean and nice comfortable beds. Nice bathroom with good shower.
Breakfast is served in the restaurant area and is excellent - self-service - all the usual eggs, bacon, sausages etc. plus unlimited toast and lots of fresh fruit, yogurt, bread rolls etc.
There is also a secure room for storing luggage if you are going into town before departure.
The location is immediately next to the railway station so an ideal location but also very quiet and peaceful.
Would thoroughly recommend!

Room Tip: There didn't seem to be any difference between superior and standard rooms apart from the superi...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights, Fri and Sat. Booked through hotels.com and got a great rate on hotels.com for superior room, got a double and single bed. Usual standards, new feel and quiet. However bathroom wasn't cleaned entirely with some odd blood looking stains on the wall.
Only problem is location, its at opposite side of train station to the town and at 3am in morning, the station can be closed meaning finding an alternative route home which was difficult.
Expensive for what we got but it did the job none the less
Tip for Jurys: If you have so many signs about valuables, please put safes into the room, a nice small investment. And who in this day and age charges for wifi, its even free in Oceana, the nightclub!

Room Tip: Cheapest price was NOT on their own website!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 August 2011

This hotel is very close to the train station (in fact sign posted from the platform I arrived at!) and a pleasant walk to the city centre/ sea front.... may be worth checking the best way to get there though. For reasons unknown to me I took a rather odd route through the less attractive sights of Brighton to reach the sea front- go back through the train station and out the main entrance and the walk is a pleasant one!

I was initially allocated a very very basic room, it was small, had only a shower and a three quarter bed. I wouldn't have asked for a room swap but the toilet flush gave out a noise like a ship coming into dock! So, I requested a room change and was glad I did. It seems strange to give out such small basic rooms when other much more comfortable and well equipped rooms are available. My second room was much larger with a double and a single bed, bath (albeit a very shallow one!) and shower and biscuits aplenty. A much more comfortable experience.

Staff were efficient, friendly and welcoming. Clearly others have had different experiences but all staff I encountered were professional.

Breakfast was a bit manic! Clearly this is a busy hotel and this was reflected at breakfast. It was buffet style with a cooked and continental selection. One thing I would say is there must be something wrong with the dishwasher. I picked up 4 bowls before I gave up on my fruit salad option and went for toast instead. All 4 bowls had the remnants of someone elses breakfast stuck fast to them. Not a pleasant way to start the day! I should have alerted staff to this but like I say breakfast was a bit manic and it cannot have escaped their attention that dark coloured cereal was welded to the bowls.

The bar/ restaurant area looked nice enough, although I did not eat there.

All in all, Jurys Inn is quite run of the mill- it is what it is- a chain hotel with set standards that are neither remarkable nor below standard. The staff were pleasant and happy to help. If I were to return to Brighton on business I would use this hotel again- for pleasure I would probably seek out competetive rates from hotels closer to the sea front.

Room Tip: If your a light sleeper probably best not to have the ice dispenser outside your room! It can be qui...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I was on a business trip and had a meeting in the evening near the station. The meeting was to last a few hours then I had another the next day in the morning. I wanted to be near the station so that I could arrive just in time at the hotel, dump my stuff, go to my meeting. Then be close by the next morning. The Jurys Inn cost me £72 for the room, Millie booked me in, she was very sweet and efficient and managed my check in brilliantly. She offered me an upgrade to a larger rom with busuits and an iron but I could order an iron from housekeeping anyway. I declined. The room was very basic with a sink, toilet basin shower (no bath). Gilchrist and Soames soap screwed to the wall by the sink and in the shower. The bed was comfortable and the linen acceptable for the value. A flat screen TV coffee and tea and, if you want it, wired internet at a cost. The room was clean functional and adequate for my needs. I noted other reviewers stated noise so I opted and was given a room on the top floor (5) The window opened fully and there was no noise other than sea gulls which I love, better than an alarm clock!

Room Tip: Best rooms are the corner rooms which cost £92
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business