“ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE !”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE !”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Despite receiving confirmation that payment had been received for the 6 rooms that I had booked AND speaking to the hotel on the run up to our weekend away on numerous occasions, when checking in the incredibly RUDE receptionist accused me of not paying for three of the rooms as my card was declined and that they had no contact details for me. After extremely long discussions with the receptionist, manager and my bank this was not the case in fact the hotel had just decided to take payment for only three rooms this explaining why it was not flagged up, and I was not informed of any problems by the hotel or my bank. All of this was done in front of the my party of 17 and other guests which was COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. To accuse me of just not paying and suggest that I had insufficient funds in my bank is just disgusting. I have spent over 6 months and thousands organizing this weekend away for my sisters hen do, for it to be completely ruined by an extremely rude receptionist and a extremely incompetent team. The rooms were nothing special and completely overprice. Also despite it being a warm summer all windows were locked!! not restricted!! which quite honestly is a serious fire hazard. This is my second stay at the Jurys Inn in Brighton and after the terrible service and treatment I will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nicole G
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Nicola G
As you are aware, the hotel was in substantial contact with you in regards to your stay with us. I had posted my response and by your own request, I removed this post as we had reached a satisfactory resolution. Again, this was your request. The content below has not been amended as you had stated and the facts remain unchanged. The rooms had not been paid for when you arrived and so we requested payment. The quality of our rooms was never in dispute by any of your guests until your review was posted. All our windows are restricted so they do not open fully. We are in full compliance with all Health and Safety regulations and in modern buildings such as ours; escape in the very un lightly event of fire is not through a window (as the vast majority of these are above first floor level) If you are not familiar with UK Fire/ Health and Safety legislation, you might assume that’s what windows are for. Please feel free to research this at your own convenience. As is clearly evident from other reviews, all our team members are polite and courteous.
General Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Greek first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were unfortunate enough to find out the hard way this is the last place in the world you want to be on a saturday night if you are not part of a stag or hen do & decide not to go out in the evening. Our room was sandwiched between two Stag parties with a hen party just up the corridor. All attendees of these parties were professional door slammers. Now I'm one for a good party, but this lot just got back relatively early (2am) and messed about in their rooms talking/shouting... not good when the walls are wafer thin and the doors slam terribly. So we didn't get any sleep until 05:30am, we asked to move rooms but none were available & to top it off when we did nod off the phone rang randomly about 06:30! Full on nightmare.

The other negative thing about this hotel is the parking - the hotel itself basically has no parking (a theme of Jury Inn hotels it would appear) so you have to pay through the nose to use the railway station car park, with no hotel discounts. I also ended up having to walk to the train station to get a ticket because the car park attendant was closed and the phone service didn't work.

No free wi-fi.

The room window wouldn't open.

I had a feeling they would try to charge me for having a dump if they could figure out how.

Overall, massively over priced for what it is and I will think twice about using a Jury's Inn hotel again in the future.

On the plus side the breakfast buffet was OK and the location is good - 5 min walk to the seafront.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gozo2012
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Gozo2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I do apologise your sleep was disturbed by unruly guests returning late in the night. Unfortunately some of our guests are not as considerate as the vast majority are. Only 5 Hotels in the city (out of 48) have private parking which is charged at a premium of up to £25 per night. The train station car park in fact one of the cheapest car parks in the city. All our windows can open on a tilt position on request. I was glad to read you enjoyed your breakfast with us and you found our location convenient to the city amenities.
derbyshire
Reviewed 12 August 2013

when we arrived we thought the hotel was in a great location,its about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the sea front.the room was clean and comfortable.we had two complaints there is some building work going on right bt the hotel a new appartment block being built.so in the morning its noisy and i think you should be told of this when booking.also during breakfast if you go after 9.30 mid week the hot food is in short supply!app you have to order what you want then wait upto half an hour.another comment the reception staff didnt ask us any questions about our atay when we left i.e how was our stay how we slept etc!!we would reccomend a stay though due to the location,its right by the train station we hopped off the train and you are there,and we didnt notice any train noise!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Andyfab
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The entire New England Quarter area is currently being developed. Yours is the first comment iv had in relation to noise as the site is a reasonable distance away from the Hotel and works cannot start until after 8am. We serve our late breakfasts ‘cooked to order’ to ensure the quality of our ingredients in maintained. I do apologise you were not asked about your stay. Guest feedback is imperative to me and we do all we can to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay. Please contact me at the below email address when visiting Brighton again – im sure I can do something for you.
damien_doyle@jurysinns.com
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Less than 200m from Brighton railway station and centrally located. Does the basics very well and rooms are clean and tidy with functional free wifi. No frills though and no room service. Perfect for a need to be in and out and get my work done business trip apart. Probably also ok for a weekend away in Brighton but on a par with Holiday Inn Express or similar. No gym which was also irritating as nearest park (for a run) quite some distance away (when you don't know the place).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jonathan V
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We don’t operate a gym within the Hotel but there is one less that 4 minutes walk away. The nearest car park in adjacent to the Hotel 20 meters from the front door. The top deck of this has been used by guests in the past for their evening run.
damien_doyle@jurysinns.com
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

This was our 6 or 7th visit to this Particular hotel ... It's a nice clean hotel the staff are polite and helpful the rooms are tidy ... The bar is nice and any food we had there is nice 7/10 stuff ... There are building works going on next door which is a pain ... I would recommend shopping around for parking the one opposite the hotel is a pain 24 hours was costing £12 you can only book on your phone and they only give you 19 hours work that one out ... I did ask the staff if there was any discount for hotel guests but was told no... We ended up parking nearer the sea front and paying £7 a day !!!! Overall good value would stay again

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Gary31271
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was happy to read that you enjoy staying with us. I realise the booking process for the car park in somewhat irritating however; the cost is not excessive considering the parking prices in the city in general (some are £26 per night). We have attempted numerous times to negotiate a discount but to no avail. We really have tried. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Car parking cost £16 for 1 night, not including day time. Parking could only be paid for over mobile phone. Room stank of cigarette smoke even though it was a non-smoking room. Staff were surly and unhelpful.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank BigBadOwl
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Colin B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Our room rates are very competitive and we offer great value as is evident from previous reviews. Obviously booking a room in the UK’s premier seaside destination at the last minute will mean the price will be slightly higher than the rate we offer booking in advance. I highly recommend this to avail of our very best deals. The car park is in fact one of the cheapest in the city. A basic Google search in this regards will confirm this. If you are not familiar with parking in Brighton, the cost may come as a surprise. The Hotel is 100% non smoking. I have had no reports of any guest comments in this regards. I was surprised to read that you felt the Hotel team was unhelpful or surly – this is not in any way reflected in previous reviews.
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Good location as could park directly opposite .
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Too a were clean and had everything we needed
The bar had a nice atmosphere ideal for a night cap
Cabs to and from the peri were £7-£8 a time which can add up but ideal if your getting the train.

• Stayed July 2013