“Just right”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Delhi
“Just right”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The location, rooms, services and staff - are all just right. Its very conveniently located next to the train station (a 2-3 minute walk), which is pretty much in the centre of town and at one end of the high street, leading down to the sea. It is a lonely walk to the hotel past 10pm so it can be a bit disconcerting, but its not bad. The hotel has a nice bar and cafe in case you havent been able to grab a bite elsewhere. The meeting room facilities are also very good - with a nice outdoors working space if required. My room overlooked the train station and the city of Brighton beyond that so it was quite nice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Sowmyaa
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your very kind words. As you mention, we are very conveniently located just behind the train station but the area is very well lit and, as you say quiet. A lot of people do comment in a positive vein about this vey point – how quiet it is in comparison to the seafront. I do hope you choose to visit us again in the near future.
damien_doyle@jurysinns.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Greek first
Colchester
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was impressed with Manchester Jury's Inn, so was pleased to be booked into the Brighton one when my conference details came through. Right next to the station, so no taxi charges or having to lug a suitcase for miles - excellent! Friendly reception staff - great! Room very clean, as expected - good so far. Hmm, wait a minute... bed only a double, not king size, in this day and age? Really? Hold on, the room also has a single... that's okay, we'll sleep in separate beds for the weekend... our partnership can withstand that degree of separation! Snooze... Toss and turn... Snooze...more wriggling to get comfy... Snooze... Wha? Wake Up! Why do I ache so much? Never mind, I'll soothe my exhausted bones under the shower. Oh, it's little more than a drizzle from a fixed rain head. Okay, it's only a weekend conference, I can cope. (But, secretly, feeling a little let down, Jury's Inn.) Breakfast: where is it? Is that it? Over there? But where are the promised croissants and pastries? And why is there no OJ? Partner and I like our hotel breakfasts, truly we do. They usually set you up nicely for conference. Not today. A noticeable lack of food...despite the staff rushing around straightening tongs and clearing dishes. Coffee weak and watery. Ended up with two hash browns and baked beans, toast and butter. Would have been peeved if I had paid the £10 breakfast charge. Off to conference. Back in the evening, open the door...what's this? A very nice letter from the management, explaining that the room attendant knocked partner's aftershave on floor, so please accept this brand new bottle as replacement. Amazing...they must have searched - it's not a common brand! How lovely - we are quite impressed. Thank you, management (hope it's not been subbed from room attendant's wages - well, you do hear of such things). To sleep, perchance to dream... nope, that ain't happening. What is it about this bed? Middle of night, aching all over, get into bed with partner instead. Only half-day conference on Sunday. In hotel room, middle of the afternoon, butt naked after shower, fire alarm goes off. Dress speedily, rush out to other confused guests. No staff around. Leave partner to burn at lifts as I leg it down the stairs. Pass room attendant sauntering up with vacuum. She can't tell me if there's a drill or a real fire, but seems unconcerned. Reach ground floor - a mass of other confused guests congregated in stairwell. I ask the (I think serious) question: why are you all standing here? Answer: the door is locked!! Yes, you heard me right, dear reader, the stairwell door is locked. I think of my daughters, unaware that dad is burning to a crisp on the third floor while mum suffers smoke inhalation, trapped in a confined space with friendly strangers. But wait! Help is at hand! Friendly receptionist has rushed over to unlock door. We are saved! Hallelujah! Through the door...to be met by bemused partner. His story (not as dramatic as mine, I think you'll wager): standing with others at lift, staff arrive. Guests ask if it's a drill, staff IGNORE them and get in lift. What ho? I hear you cry. IGNORE guests in imminent danger? Surely not? Partner and his new friends-of-thirty-seconds all agree that's what happened! Lots of milling around in lobby, then decide to go tell fellow elderly delegates who chose to remain in burning rooms that they appear to have the wisdom of age and that, yes, yes, it appears NOT to be an emergency (although, as you will appreciate, we are in danger of being wrong, as no-one on the staff has told us anything). Having calmed our comrades-in-nightclothes, we return to our room, disrobe to prepare for evening reception, when...you guessed it, the alarm sounds again. Many heads poke out of bedroom doors, no staff arrive, so we all decide to risk it and stay put. By the fact that you are reading this, dear heart, you will have worked out that we survived. But Jury's Inn, your health and safety needs a serious fix. And a bit of staff training might help. Sadly, this will be logged by our organisation and when we return to Brighton for conference in two years time, we won't be using Jury's inn. Oh, and we discovered the problem with the bed...the base was completely broken, so offered my back no support. I hobbled to the station, battered but not broken.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 323 as it is sandwiched between housekeeping stores and their restroom. Noisy and...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jane K
Dear Jane K
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I too was disappointed to read your comments and hopefully the following will address these. The Hotel was built 7 years ago and the bedroom configuration you speak of will be addressed next year during our refurbishment. The city and indeed the Hotel was exceptionally busy over the weekend and I do apologise if some of the items on breakfast were not immediately available but I can assure you they were en route. Our breakfast offering gets great comments as is evident from previous reviews however I will take your points on board. I am aware one of our housekeeping attendants did accidently knock your partner’s aftershave over while servicing the room and we of course rectified the situation immediately. We did not and would not penalise the housekeeper for this – accidents do happen but I was happy that you were satisfied with the resolution. The fire alarm did sound twice around 4pm. In no way was your safety or the safety or our guests in any way compromised. I can categorically state that the door at the base of the staircase was not locked nor can it be. Access from the ground floor UP is restricted (by a bedroom door key lock – guests use their keys to access the bedroom floors) but not from the floors down. I must be very clear on this. We are fully compliant with all Fire Safety regulations and we undertake annual external audits. The receptionists merely opened the door using her key from the ground floor side – it’s impossible to lock the door from the bedroom access side. On the rear of the bedroom door, there is a full explanation of what to do in the event of the fire bell continuously sounding. All Hotels must have this in place. The bells were silenced once the false alarm was confirmed – no continuous bell sound was maintained. Again, this is detailed on the back of your bedroom door. Letters were then posted to every room to explain the situation and apologise for any inconvenience caused. I do apologise if the base of your bed was damaged – this is by no means a measure of the usual standards we deliver; again which is evident from previous guest reviews.
Singapore
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed 5 nights in April this year. Hotel is as functional as what a hotel should be. The room is clean, spartan and again functional. the plus is the staff is very helpful. We arrived in the early morning at about 7am n the reception is kind enough to let us check in. This is a great blessing after a 13 hrs flight. I must apologize i did not get the name of the lady who attended to me. ( checked in 11 April and kudos to her). Another plus is it is 3 mins walk to the main Brighton Station but surprisingly not noisy. The minus is there is not much amenities in the room. there is kettle to boil water and stocks of tea and coffee bags, But there is no fridge or writing materials. the buffet breakfast at 10quids is evenly priced, though would suggest they should have a-la-carte alternatives too.
Would i stay there again, probably as it is near to the study centre that my daughter enrolled.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear xin_zer
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I really do take all my guest feedback very seriously but was slightly disappointed in regards to your overall rating considering your nice words about our staff, breakfast, cleanliness etc. Some Hotels offering a similar standard of accommodation and services do include stationary and possibly a mini fridge however; the additional charge will probably be well in excess of £15 per night extra. We would of course offer pens, paper etc at the front desk free of charge if requested – and we won’t ask you for a further £15 per night. I do hope your daughter is enjoying her time with Bellerbys.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely one night stay with an amazing breakfast. Porridge, crepes, bagels, fresh melon, crusty bread, lots of kid friendly cereals and a full cooked breakfast too.

The staff were really helpful and there was plenty of space in our room for the two extra beds so we could fit all four of us.

Thank you!

Stayed April 2014
Dear Adam C
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and im delighted that you all enjoyed your stay with us. I really appreciate your comments in regards to our breakfast offering which I feel is fantastic. I hope you choose to visit us again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Booked this hotel for 2 nights at short notice as my young daughters and I decided to visit Brighton. We got a good deal on the room and saw it was near the station, in addition I noticed that the Hotel Manger appears to answer every single review. I thought that this was very impressive and indicates that they do care about what guests think . I had no need to worry about having any complaints as this hotel is excellent. Brilliant location for the station, just beside it, though we couldn't hear any noise, spotlessly clean room, fresh towels every day and wonderful staff who consistently enquire if you are ok at every opportunity. Breakfast good and staff very attentive to clearing up and keeping stocks filled.! Every single member of staff we came across were polite, friendly and professional. We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment but had a nice drink in the bar.
This hotel is great and I would recommend it. Will definitely return again .
I suggest walking to the sea front via The North Laines rather than the more direct route as its much nicer. I would also recommend a visit to The Pavilion when staying in Brighton.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear SOG548
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m delighted that you and your daughters enjoyed your stay with us. I think you brought the good weather with you also. I’ll be sure to pass on your comments to the team – they really are genuine about what they do and are a credit to the Hotel. Thank you again for your review and for your lovely comments.
London
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a pretty standard Jury’s Inn, which is to say it’s clean, modern and very good value. It has a couple of location specific drawbacks.

The room was of a good size and clean, but was sold as a twin when the second bed is a very basic fold out single sized chair-bed that offers very little comfort. This was the case for all rooms our large party occupied.

The restaurant offers a good enough quality self-service breakfast in a light and airy room. The bar was good but packed with stag and hen groups when we were there so not enjoyable if you weren’t part of one of one.

On that subject, the entire hotel seems to be occupied by stag/hen groups on the weekend, and a £100 damage deposit per room is required. This may be for a very good and understandable reason, but offers an insight into the potential pitfalls of staying in a hotel where this is deemed necessary.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear TSLee53
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was slightly disappointed to read your review. As Brighton second largest Hotel, we will have a variety of guest staying with us. The Hotel would not and does not consist only of Hen and Stag groups. All Brighton Hotels will have a proportion of groups (not just Hen and Stag but sports, private, musical and commercial). You might assume that they are but please bear in mind that Brighton is one of the UK’s most popular weekend destinations and will have a host of different markets visiting the city. The £100 deposit is in place of those who choose not to leave their credit card details with us as a guarantee. This is the case in the vast majority of Hotels. I do appreciate your comments in regards to our cleanliness and value. This is the view of most of our guests and we intend to continue to deliver on this going forward. I do hope you consider visiting us again in the near future.
Swanley, England
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Jury's inn Brighton for my hen do I had a wonderful time and the hotel just made it the best. One night we came back and they let us sit in the lobby helped us order pizza and made the hen a lovely cup of tea. I would have have to say that was the best part of the weekend. Just enjoying the time with friends in a safe and relaxed environment. I would also like to thank Ben and Chris who were security that night and were a font of knowledge about life and the universe. Many thanks to the jurys inn for making my time in Brighton so special.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear jennwozere
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I was delighted that you had a lovely weekend with us. I have passed on your review to the team who are very appreciative. I do hope the hen has a successful wedding and you all (whenever possible) get an opportunity to visit us again in the future.