“Great place to stay”

Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Had a week's stay here in June, the hotel was very good, clean and with very helpful staff. The location is a stones throw from the train station but far enough so you don't hear the trains! It is a bit of a step to the beach front and there is quite a bit of development in the area, but don't let that put you off! They do a mean breakfast as well, loads of choice and tasty.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear John Rhys J

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your nice comments in regards to the Hotel and staff.

I do hope you choose to visit us again in the near future.

damien_doyle@jurysinns.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Mixed feelings about this hotel...ultimately our stay was worthy of more than 2 stars....however I have to rate this based on how it could have turned out purely to warn other similar familes as the rooms are totally unsuitable for familys of 4.

We booked a room for 2 adults and 2 children....aged 11 and 6. The web site states:

"Our hotel rooms can accommodate...two adults and two children under twelve...."

Sadly this is not true. The rooms have a double bed and a SINGLE sofa bed. The sofa bed was where our 2 kids were meant to sleep...it was no where near big enough for 2.

Upon complaining the staff acknowledged the sofa beds were too small for 2 kids and all their rooms were the same size.

We were offered a mattresse on the floor for our other child to sleep on, however there wouldn't have been enough room to walk past it to get out the door! Not what we expected for the price we paid.

The staff were brilliant and luckily found us 2 adjoining rooms linked via an internal door...gave us free breakfast for both days...the manager checked in the morning how things were...and our stay was great. Well done to them all.

Other hotels in Brighton warn you their rooms are too small for 4 people, Jurys Inn should do the same rather than actually encourage you.

5 stars for the staff and the way they helped us out....0 for the unsuitable family rooms.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank murrayrr
Dear murrayrr

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I do apologise about the bed issue. We are currently in the process of changing our sofa beds to a larger version and these will be in place within the coming weeks. In addition to this, we will be undertaking a full refurbishment of all our bedrooms.

I do appreciate your comments and im happy that the team made all efforts to resolve the situation however I am disappointed that you took a decision to rate us on what could have happened rather than what did happen.

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Jury's Inn Brighton is a terrific place - it ticks all the boxes. The service however is exceptional. Lauren on the reception could not be more helpful, efficient and polite.... Thank you for all of your time Lauren!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Sarah W

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your lovely comments about Lauren. She is indeed a credit to the Hotel and I will ensure she sees your review.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here in July and was generally pleased with the room that I got. The room, on the fourth floor, was spacious and cool with it's own air con circuit which I always consider a great thing. The bed was very comfortable and the linen good quality. The bathroom was nothing special but perfectly functional. Generally it was a perfectly pleasant room which for a short stay traveller would suit fine, although the holidaymaker might want something a little more homely.

I thought the service could have been better. A hen party (dressed in those appalling hen party t-shirts and sashes) checked in right before me and were clearly out for a night of partying. The receptionist checked me in right in the middle of their rooms which I think could have been done a little more sensitively and perhaps somewhere a little quieter. Of course I only found this out at 3am by which time it was a bit late to change. I guess the computer just assigns rooms numerically but I think, as I said, with a bit of forethought this could have been avoided. They were also utterly uninterested in changing money for me even though the sign on the wall advertises the service.

Finally in the morning I bought the breakfast for the sake of convenience, subsequently I would advise you steer well clear and hit one of the cafes the other side of the station. The food was pretty low quality - the sausages and bacon being very very salty and the egg definitely tasting strongly of plastic. I had 3 of each and didn't feel remotely full... just ill. The orange juice all ran out as did the butter and sorry but when you've paid £10 for breakfast you think you could have butter on your toast!! There were no restaurant staff around to ask for more, the whole thing was totally unattended which is fine if stocks are maintained of everything but they clearly weren't. It was a sad contrast to a very comfortable room that breakfast turned out to be reheated cheap rubbish despite the price tag suggesting you should get something reasonable wholesome.

On the whole I would recommend others to this hotel, for £115 a night (or £100 on the day) you get a generally very comfortable room, extremely close to the train station, with good air con in the rooms, 3 big lifts, spacious bedrooms and bathrooms and free Wi-Fi too. But definitely steer clear of that breakfast and grab it in town from a place which actually serves food.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear 535dizzle535

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was very disappointed to read your comments about our breakfast offering. I do apologise if we didn’t meet your expectations in regards to our breakfast. This usually has great comments as is evident from previous and post your review.

I’m 100% confident we can do better for you on your next visit.

Istanbul
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Hi, Jurys was suggested to us by friends. And very vice decision too. We had to arrange our journey plans for our daughters graduation in Sussex Uni. We arrived at Brighton by train the afternoon before the event. Walked around the town and couple of rest at different places and had dinner at our usual Italian Restaurant . Watched the worldcup at one of the Pubs.
The hotel was smart & clean and amazingly quite inspite the location very close to the trains.
It even had iron & ironing board & coffe maker in the room ( and biscuits too)
The restaurant downstairs was Costa serving all sorts of very nice food.
It takes 10 minutes to walk down to the Pier.
Don't forget to take an umbrella when you go to Brighton

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Banu57

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope you enjoyed your daughter’s graduation.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very nice hotel but however its very basic . I enjoyed my stay quite a lot the rooms were very clean and very comfortable beds my dad me and my btother chose the double room and it had quite a nice bathroom I had a wash and it was very therapeutic the rooms also are quite luxury

Room Tip: Its more a family hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 372hannahr
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Hannah r

thank you very much for reviewing our hotel, it was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Jurys Inn Brighton especially our rooms and bed setup, I was disappointed to hear that you the hotel quite basic, we are currently in the initial stages of updating our the hotel with a full refurbishment which will start later this year.

I do hope that you will chose to stay with us again in the near future

Best regards

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

A nice hotel close to the station. Helpful friendly staff by telephone during booking and in person when checking in and out. They accommodated our room requirements well, adding a cot into a triple family room. A suitably sized blanket/duvet for the cot would have been helpful. No blinds on the window meant we didnt have all the privacy we would have liked (the rooms are arranged in U-shape meaning we were quite close to rooms on the other side of the U), but other than that, the room was clean and well presented.

Breakfast was plentiful with a good selection. Eggs overcooked but sausages were yum.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Londonlady T

Thank you very much for taking the time out to post a review.

It was very pleasing to read that both the staff and the breakfast offer where to your liking. We are currently looking at our cots and the bedding provided so your feedback is very useful for this process.

I do hope that you chose to stay with us again

Kindest regards