“disappointed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“disappointed”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

As it was pride weekend I spent alittle more on a hotel then I normally would have. I was not happy with the facilities. The towels were small. There was half used toilet paper and we ran out in the morning. No spare. We had a big rip in the carpet and a stain on side unit. Our kettle didn't work. During the night it was very warm so went to open the window to find it was locked. Not being funny if I am spending £239 for one night I expected better. On a brighter note the staff were friendly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear louise b

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was disappointed to read you didn’t find our facilities up to standard. If any guest supplies run out, we are more than happy to deliver additional items direct to your room.

Unfortunately a fuse in any electrical item can blow without cause but we do have a stock of spare item and again, will deliver these directly to your room. I am sorry this happened.

All of our rooms are fully air conditioned however; it will not function correctly if the window is open.

damien_doyle@jurysinns.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
oxford
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We read the reviews after we had booked for the weekend. It was an expensive time , as were all hotels on this weekend as it was the Pride weekend. Over double the usual pricing......that's said We have based the review on what it would normally cost. We found the staff at reception to be VERY welcoming. Lauren checked us in and asked if we had been to Brighton before, which we had not. She asked where we were going for the evening and then provided us with a map of brighton to keep. She circled where we were on the map and the restaurant we needed o get to. She advised us the best place to get a taxi from as well. Very helpful indeed. I fund out about the reduced parking at the station carpark BEFORE hand and paid £18.40 to park for three full days and nights. You need to go to the carpark and see the Kiosk where the person in there will do the 50% discount if they see your booking form for the hotel.............The staff at breakfast were welcoming and there was a great choice of food. The plates were cleared whilst we sat at the table, but that's a good thing....no dirty plates hanging around....and they were polite as they asked if we had finishes before they took them away..... Our room was clean and tidy. .......So I can honestly say we would stay at the hotel again...........when its back to the normal pricing on a weekend........I would recommend this hotel and we think the staff were great...... Very surprised at some of the reviews on here as we had a great experience...........

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OxfordsKass
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear OxfordKass

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your kind words about the Hotel and staff (particularly Lauren). We have recently secured a discount agreement with the adjacent car park for our guests – the £18.40 represents a fantastic discount considering the normal cost of parking in other Brighton Hotels for three nights would be in excess of £50.

I hope you choose to visit us again in the near future.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 2 August 2014

As all Jurys Inns it looks very nice and modern from the outside, the reception area goves a good impression and the rooms look fine. It's when you come into the bathroom you get your surprise if you haven't been to Jurys before. It is something out of the sixties with the most shallow bathtub that is made, a dysfunctional shower that has two possibilities - very hot or very cold - but no power whatever temperature! The water in the toilet was running all night... however most of us know plumbing cannot really be a profession in the UK, and that this is more the rule than the exception.
Otherwise I was very happy with this hotel and service was very good, We first got a double room, though we had booked a twin, but the young lady in reception changed that for us right away and everyone was very friendly.
Not the easiest place to find when you come by train, you see it from the train, but finding the opening at the furthest platform proved difficult and on the first occasion we had a 500 metre long detour!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear LjoJo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I do apologise if the shower was not functioning correctly. All our facilities are maintained to the highest possible standards and should of course function correctly. Could I ask that you confirm your room number as I don’t have a record of this comment made on your departure?

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Good value, and conveniently located next to Brighton Station and convenience stores. The front desk staff is efficient (just one person usually), but the whole lobby area looks deserted and cold. The in-house restaurant is sorely lacking in wait staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear 3starminimum

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our lobby area is very spacious – in fact we had in excess of 350 guests in house every night in the last 2 weeks. Obviously Brighton is a location where people come to see the sights and rarely sit around the lobby during the day especially considering the great weather recently.

Essex, England
Reviewed 31 July 2014

A group of 15 of us recently stayed here on a Hen Party for 1 night and we have a great stay. Hotel is located 2 mins walk from the main train station in Brighton and is around 15/20 mins walk to the seafront.

The rooms itself were fairly basic but very clean and were equiped with everything we needed for our stay. Our particular room had a double and a single bed which slept 3 of us.

Our room rate included breakfast which had a good selection although it was extremely busy with groups of people and they kept running out of everything. Breakfast ran from 7am to 11am which suited us on Hen Party waking up later than usual.

At reception there was a large storage room for bags which was really useful if you arrive before check in/ or to store your bags after checkout. Midday Checkout is another great facility.

My only criticism would be the reception staff. Not the most friendly or welcoming bunch and very understaffed at most times with 1 team member working, even on peak weekend shifts?!?

Even though this hotel was full of group bookings we found the room to be quiet and I was pleasantly suprised to not have been woken in the night by 'noise' considering we had a room by the lift. Overall a great stay. Was one of the more reasonably priced hotels in the area and great for a weekend away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear sazkebab

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. During peak breakfast times, we can cater for a high number of diners. I do apologise if there was a short wait on items.

I do appreciate your additional kind words about your stay and hope you choose to visit us again in the near future.

Hythe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Lovely, but restaurant staff need more training, they bend over you to clear dirty side plates glasses while still eating breakfast or mains, other wise all staff very friendly and most helpful, good location right next to rail station, and good bus service to get into town.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear anji t

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I do apologise if the staff were overzealous about keeping your table clean and tidy. They obviously went a bit too far to try and ensure you had plenty of space during your breakfast. I will ensure this is addressed.

I do appreciate your kind words about them – they really are genuine about bring helpful and friendly so I hope you forgive the incident at breakfast.

Aldington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently spend the weekend at Jury's Inn Brighton with a hen party. When we arrived half the rooms were ready half were not and we were told to come back at 2pm... we went back at 2pm and still the rooms were not ready including the bride to be's the receptionist was also very rude. When we finally got into our rooms the sheets were stained, there were not enough beds = 3 people in 2 beds! same with facilities towels, cups etc only enough for 2 people. I found a hair in my breakfast which put me off and others so we did not have breakfast the next day. All in all a very disappointing experience. The drinks at the bar were a ridiculous price £17.00 for two vodka and diet cokes!! I have even emailed the hotel and had no reply as service was disgusting.

Room Tip: The rooms are not very big and also very noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank clair m
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear clair m

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I do apologise that all your rooms were not ready at 2pm. We try and meet all our guest requests; this includes allocating all group booking rooms in the same area for our guests convenience. All our rooms have the same configuration of a double and single bed. Your booking agent should have informed you of this.

We maintain the highest levels of food hygiene and iv had no reports of the comment you mention below.

Our beverage prices are in fact lower than most Hotels in Brighton – the price you speak of is for 2 large premium vodka’s which I think you’ll find is about the standard price outside of a standard pub such as Weatherspoons.

I have receive no correspondence as you mention below – can I ask that you forward that email directly to my personal email which I supply with every response on Trip Advisor. We respond to all guest queries within 24 hours. Again, I can categorically state that I have had no correspondence from you in regards to the issues you mention in your review.