“Bit over rated, but not bad”
Review of Havana - CLOSED

Havana
Price range: US$49 - US$62
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: With a grand Cuban-inspired interior and a leisurely, laid-back atmosphere, Havana Restaurant and Bar in Brighton is located on the historic site of the old Duke Street Theatre which dates back to 1790. The restaurant's fine food, wine and live jazz bands will inspire you to start puffing on a cigar and reading a hedonistic Hemingway novel before dinner and the dining room boasts high ceilings, dark oak wood tables, a fountain and a grand piano adding to the restaurant's colonial charm. Favourite dishes from the modern British menu include the sirloin steak served with spinach, confit potatoes and Béarnaise sauce; and the rack of lamb with rosemary potatoes, courgette marmalade, baby red peppers and basil mash.
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This restaurant has been around for quite a few years now and we've never heard a bad word said about them. However, with friends we tried them for the first time recently and some of us were a little disappointed. Good ambience although the live music could be a little loud depending on where you are seated, good service but we found the food a little disappointing. Expensive for what was on offer, not a big menu and seem to come with rice with most dishes. Nice evening, good atmosphere but we won't rush back.

1  Thank SOGofBrighton

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Good food, good service, great decor! Prices reasonable for the quality of food and drink. Disappointed that they didn't have the champagne we wanted. Apparently they only had 2 bottles in stock! Had to buy a dearer one, they wouldn't give us a reduction. Would have been great customer service if they had given us it at the price of our first choice.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I visited with my wife on Sunday night over the bank holiday weekend as we have visited before and had a fantastic experience. The food was, as always, delicious and to a very high standard, and the wine excellent. The two areas that really need work though are the service and the decor in the toilets (I understand from another review that it will be decorated soon though). If the wine is to be kept away from the table out of reach, I would hope not to have to ask twice for my glass to be re-filled (just leave the bottle by the table!). A couple who sat next to us were left without drinks for some considerable time, and were getting more and more irate. It may have been that because it was a Sunday over the bank holiday that the service was over stretched, but it seems standards are slipping and that's a shame as it is one of my favorite restaurants in Brighton. Hopefully after the re-decoration things will improve.

1  Thank Kitt C
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We've been to this restaurant before, the decor is really nice, you have a choice of eating inside or out (weather permitting). The menu choice is good, but you're talking London prices, the wine list isn't cheap either but nice wines tho'. Service is very attentive. Would I go back? perhaps, not sure.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Myself, my wife, and our gradually growing brood have been eating at Havana for 5 or 6 years. It started when my wife and I were courting and we had dinner there one night on an overnight stay in Brighton. We absolutely loved it, we thought it was pretty special, and we have returned religiously every time we have been in Brighton since - usually once or twice a year. The truth is it has been gradually going downhill for years - decor and quality of service in particular - but today it hit rock bottom.

Today is Monday 26 May 2014 - one of the wettest Bank Holiday Mondays in living memory. We decided to take refuge and cheer ourselves up with a nice lunch in Havana, and ended up wishing we'd stayed on the seafront and gone to Harry Ramsdens.

It started with a leak in the ceiling, dripping directly on to my wife's head. Whilst funny, this isn't what you expect form a restaurant that clearly regards itself as a cut above. We notified the waiter, who brought a napkin to catch the drips, and said "oh well, we are closing for refurbishment in two weeks anyway". Not before time. The decor is very, very tired, with holes in the upholstery and stains and marks all over the place.

Then came the 3 meals we ordered. Except...there were only two. They had forgotten one. and by the time my wife's meal came (yes, she was the victim again) myself and my boys (they were sharing one between them) had finished ours, so she had to eat alone.

Not only was there no apology, they even had the gaul to ask, when I got sick of waiting to pay the bill and went up to the bar to pay it, whether we had enjoyed our visit. I was so shocked that I actually uttered "it was okay"...and hated myself for it all the way home. So here the the real answer. No sir, we did not enjoy it. Harry would have done a much better job.

1  Thank danmccarthy