“Once upon a time they had good roasts!”

The Dorset Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #681 of 1,154 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Dorset Street Bar is classic Brighton pub with restaurant attached. Situated in the heart of the city's North Laine district, it is at the very heart of all things Brighton and with our outside seating, there is no better spot to sit, relax and watch the world go by. We serve a wide range of simple, British pub fayre -everything from the best Fish and Chips in town to burgers, fish dishes and daily specials. With a family friendly atmosphere, kids of all ages are welcome and catered for with a special kids menu and high chairs.
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Once upon a time they had good roasts!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I had a Sunday Roast at the Dorset today, and to be honest it was one of the worst roasts I have ever had. I had roast there almost 1.5 year ago, and it was really good. I assume they changed the chef or they really do not have any money to buy proper vegetables. The roast was mainly made of badly cooked(!) potatoes and sweet potatoes and peas! It did not deserve £10 at all. Also, when I wanted to give feedback which is always for their benefit, the waitress said sorry without actually paying attention to what I was saying. Well, good luck with that roast!

• Visited September 2013

London, England, United Kingdom
“Has the dependable Dorset gone off?”
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

I've eaten four tines here over the last three years or so. This time was distinctly a notch down as an experience. The steak, which I always have, was pretty bland. Previously it had real flavour. I noticed the kitchen was slow, which it previously hadn't been, so I wonder if it is new staff in there. The wine was also not great, but perhaps I was unlucky in my choice.

On the plus side, this is still a very well priced alternative. The staff make a real effort - they made a mistake on the order, which can always happen, but won credit for how they handled it, which is more of a test. The acoustics in the room can be a challenge: it is loud, so depending who else is there it can be a bit much.

In all, still not bad but I'm going to try some other options before I'm back.

• Visited September 2013
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Have been drinking in The Dorset for many years but only recently tried the food here. We had a living Social voucher and really glad to finally eat here. Had the mussels, which apparently they are famous for, and they were excellent. All items are reasonably priced too!

Will definitely be eating here again!

Visited May 2013
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
“Great food, lively atmosphere and good value”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Good meal at The Dorset. The food is honest, good value, good ales and an interesting and lively atmosphere. We loved it!

• Visited August 2013
Rugby, Warwickshire
“Best pork dinner ever”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Just had the pork belly roast dinner and I can honestly say it was the best I've ever had. The pork was tender and fell apart, whilst the crackling was crispy without being too hard. The Yorkshire pudding was perfect too. The service was fast and friendly. Will definitely come back again.

• Visited August 2013