“Excellent and good value food!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #123 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$41 - US$41
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Excellent and good value food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We ate here on our last night in Brighton and we are very glad we did! The shared starters/platter were tasty, well-prepared and nicely presented - I thought the squid was particularly delicious. I didn't used to eat squid at all but this restaurant has changed my mind about it so I'm very impressed! We also had a main dish of noodles and vegetables with chicken - this was moreish and plenty filling enough too. The only problem I had really was that there was a small amount of something unknown and dark at the corner of the plate - it didn't look or taste like chili as such but when I tried it it nearly blew my head off - bit too much I think and quite unexpected as it was supposed to be a mild dish I think. Otherwise all lovely!
It was very good value too..we only paid £15 each, which included both starters and main courses!
We thought the service was overall good!

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Re visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

This restaurant has a 5 star FSA rating. We booked a table by the window which was a good people watching space & looked onto the high street. Service was quick, foods was nice & tasty. We had Thai crackers which came with a sweet chilli dip. I had steak strips as a starter, which was nice & tender, very little fat on it & was accompanied with a spicy fish sauce dip. My main was roast duck with black bean & I ordered cocoanut rice. The duck wasn't crispy despite it being roasted however didn't detract from it's flavour, it could however have done with a few more black beans, I think I counted about 10. The rice was creamy & didn't clump. We ordered a bottle of white wine which was nice & cold. The waitress wasn't very attentive once the order was taken & after our food arrived, we had to poor the wine ourselves, she did have a trainee/new waitress with her. We will go back to this restaurant as we do enjoy it.

Visited August 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best Panang Curry I have ever had”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have eaten here twice; once for dinner with w friend from out of town during the Fringe; where I had the Panang Curry. It was all I could do to not pick up the bowl and lick it clean. Best curry sauce ever.
I then had lunch with a colleague a couple weeks later. The food was as good; this time I had Pad Thai although it could have been tastier. The service was not real good the second time….we were practically the only ones in and everything took a long time.
The food is a little on the expensive side for Thai; but the quality is very good.

• Visited July 2014
Murcia
“Good value and good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Found by chance late at night. Were last in and out and were not rushed at any stage. Food excellent and good price.

London, United Kingdom
“not quite a good choice during hot summer”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Me and my friends went to Sawadee on Saturday 26th July. We had a day trip to Brighton on that day, and after reading lots of good reviews, we decided to give it a try.
It was a very busy Saturday and they did not have any tables for a big group upstair, so we had to sit downstair. It was a big disappointment and very uncomfortable because it was too warm downstair. It's a basement with no fan, no air conditioner, only one window opening which definitely could not provide enough atmosphere for a big room.
The waitress who took care of our table is friendly enough but does not speak English fluently and does not know well about the menu so we had many difficulties in choosing our dishes. I really wanna try the fish in banana leaf but was unsure so I seeked for help from the waitress. And all she did is, reading the dish description in the menu to me and asked me "Do you like it?". Apparently, I did not know how to answer and very confused whether should I go for that dish or not. And I went for a safe choice, just a pad thai. Luckily it was great.
Overally, the food were alright, all reach the authentic Thai standard. They really need to improve the condition of the basement. The room is big and tables set up really nice. But, having dinner while you are sweating is extremely unpleasant.
And due to English level of the waitress, there was a big lack of communication between waiting staff (she) and customers (us). During our dinner, sometimes she passed by our table, looked throughout our table, and said nothing. It was really strange!!! I know that she might want to say or ask us something but she did not, which left us a weird feeling. And it happended few times like that, so awkward!
We do understand that it's a busy Saturday and the restaurant requires many staffs so they can serve the customers as quick as they can, but, quality is always better than quantity. In our opinion, we prefer to be served with a slower service but by a nice, friendly staff, who can create a warm welcoming feeling, who has knowledge about Thai cuisine, or at least about the dishes which listed in the menu.
Me, my friends have no offence with the waitress, but this is our opinion : Waiting staff is an important part of a restaurant. Their standards = restaurant's standard. Everybody will love a restaurant which serves authentic Thai food, cooked by Thai chef and served by Thai staff. But, when the staff work in a customer services area, it is their responsibility to improve their English to a standard level, to communicate with customers. And somehow, the manager should notice this problem, if he/she wants to improve the restaurant's standard. But if not, if he/she is happy with the current standard like this, then we have nothing to say.

• Visited July 2014