“Good, but not very good”
Review of Regency Restaurant

Regency Restaurant
Ranked #72 of 1,176 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$45 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: There's nowhere better to tuck into some fresh fish 'n' chips than by the seaside, and The Regency Restaurant on the King's Road is the oldest seafood restaurant in Brighton and Hove with ocean views. Famous for its fresh fish and lively atmosphere, the restaurant has become a dining institution with both locals and visitors from out of town and boasts a cheery red and white tiled terrace that looks out over the West Pier, and a cosy dining room perfect for leisurely lunches and relaxed evening meals. The Regency Restaurant serves everything from locally caught fish to lobster, oysters, mussels, Dover sole, crab, prime Scotch steaks and a variety of vegetarian options along with an excellent wine list.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

It is always busy (well, in August anyway) and the service is pretty quick. The food is good but not great. They do some fancy seafood platters, which is interesting, but since I'm not into seafood does not interest me. Might be worth a visit if you want to experiment with seafood.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I've been coming to this restaurant for 24 years and I've only ever had one duff dish. That's not bad for 24 years, considering I'm an ex Head-Chef. The fish/seafood is truly marvelous - cooked to perfection and the prices are very reasonable.. The waiting staff eclectic and professional. Get a table outside on a balmy evening and you're in heaven. I recommend the Moules Mariniere, the Scallops in garlic butter, the Oysters and the superb Fish Pie. They also do classic dishes like Monkfish Livornese, pan-fried Skate with black butter and capers and beautiful Turbot. The wine list is Classic (almost retro) and non-fussy too, just what one needs to compliment good fish - Chablis, Veuve Cliquot, Sancere, Frascati.
Tip - get the service charge removed and give a tip straight to the waiters. Otherwise they won't see it for love nor money - and these guys deserve it.
Tip no.2 - Finish off with a crust shattering perfect Creme Brulee.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Recently visited this establishment on a trip to Brighton on a warm Saturday afternoon. The location is excellent right on the seafront and this clearly popular establishment had a large queue and a reasonable wait to be seated. This is taken as a good sign and after a short wait we as a group of four were seated outside, which given the warm climate was fantastic. The menu was extensive and the fish and seafood looked superb. The portion sizes are on the large side and the food clearly very fresh and tasted of the sea. My only complaint upon which one star is lost is that the service was on the slow side. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful but to wait over five minutes while part of our party were served and the rest got their food in my book is too long. This is very obviously a very busy venue and the number of staff should be sufficient to cope. I look forward to visiting here again however, and the Lobster looked tremendous.

1  Thank jhelfgott
Reviewed 11 August 2014

On a Friday evening, at 7:30 pm I passed by the restaurant and wanted to have dinner. A table was free - a waitress was there, so I sat down and received a menue.
I was asked several time how many persons I was.
Suddenly I was told they would look for another table as Fridays at this time they had much business. They never came back on this.
A waiter came by. He told me I couldnt stay there. I told him that 1 person eats faster than many. He still insited in my departing.
I asked, if I was being kicked out of the restaurant for wanting to eat there and being alone?
All of a sudden this waiter told me I had to leave as the table was reserved.
I waited a while. Of course nobody took my order.

This is the rudest, most antisocial behaviour I have ever experienced.

I would like to clarify, that I am a lady that has travelled widely. And I have never experienced such rude behaviour before be it in Asia, Australia, north or south America or elsewere in Europe.

Shame for this brighton behaviour. Which I do not generalize. Where have the gentlemen gone to?

Terrible experience for anybody woman, who is alone and wants to have a meal.

6  Thank P M
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is a "must visit" place on Brighton front. The food is good and sensibly priced with service and atmosphere to match.

It's unsurprisingly busy but worth booking a table or waiting.

Highly recommended!