“Fantastic!”

Casalingo
Ranked #22 of 1,216 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$7 - US$34
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Friendly & relaxed family run Italian Restaurant with authentic northern Italian cuisine
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Superb food, nice and cosy restaurant, attentive staff, owner very friendly definetely we will come back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,044)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

From the moment we walked in we were made to feel at home. Attention to detail and to the customer. The food was delicious and good value. A place to spend the evening and soak up the atmosphere. Very authentic Italian cuisine and beautifully presented.

1  Thank Mike-at-London
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Grrat value food and a lovely selection to choose from, staff very friendly and attentive, but not one for date night. ..gets very packed and you might have to shout to have a conversation! Wouldnt say it is where you should go for romance or intimacy with your meal!!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Having read the previous 5 star reviews, perhaps my expectations had been set too high.

As a starter, I had the figs and goat cheese. It was seriously over cooked. If I wasn't English, I'd have sent it back. It ought to be a great dish. On the other hand, my wife had the calamari and that was excellently crispy and the accompanying source was similarly good. For the main course, I chose the beef stroganoff off the specials menu. It was far from special. I don't necessarily blame the cook (unlike with my starter) because beef stroganoff relies on really good ingredients, top quality aged beef and really fresh mushrooms, otherwise you get beef that's tough and a bland nothingness of mushrooms. My wife's calves' liver and pancetta was really really good. Very well executed. The children really enjoyed their Spaghetti Bolognese and Carbonara.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was good. It was busy and buzzing on a Wednesday night. The service was perfectly acceptable. Overall a meal for six based on two courses cost just under £200, including drinks, which I thought was reasonably for the quality of the place and the food that everyone else had. However since I am doing the review, and I had the duff dishes, I don't think I am being too much like the blond haired judge on Tumble in rating them with only the 3 stars.

We don't live in Brighton but we have visited before. Would I give Casalingo another chance? Answer - yes, I probably would, if I lived in the area. However if you are just visiting or looking for a really special evening then there are much better options.

1  Thank Martin G
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The food was delicious, the service was excellent and the waiters and owner were attentive and very friendly and welcoming.