“Still the best”

Terre a Terre
Ranked #21 of 1,203 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$49 - US$84
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Brighton's critically acclaimed Terre a Terre is a vegetarian restaurant that will have even the most ardent carnivore waxing lyrical. Situated close to the sea-front. The decor is chic and stylish, using wooden floors and furniture to contrast with vibrant colours. But here the food is the centrepiece: dhal basmati buns with coconut curry leaf chatni, better Batter and Lemony Yemeni Relish and Thai aubergine jungle curry are just a few of the exotic and imaginative dishes you can find here. To complement the food, a large selection of organic beers, ciders and wines are available. A three course meal here costs an average of £30 per person. A refreshing take on vegetarian cuisine.
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We returned to Terre à Terre on Saturday evening, having not visited for many years. We will not leave it so long between visits again: everything about our experience was even better than we remembered. The service was friendly, professional, and quick, from the door to the bill, but it is the food that will keep us coming back. To start: courgette fritters with wonderfully crisp and light batter, dim sum buns with dips, stuffed with marinated halloumi (“Is that really halloumi?”). The mains were even better. A vegetarian take on fish and chips with outstanding battered halloumi would have been the best thing I have tasted for a long time if it weren't for the aubergine and sesame main course my partner had. She declined to share. The churros, chocolate, and boozy cherry pudding was as good as it sounds, and I also enjoyed the prune tart.
I am not a vegetarian, but I don't particularly like it when meat-eaters say vegetarian restaurants are good “even though” they serve no meat. This is quite simply one of the best restaurants in the country, doing incredibly inventive things with food. If you are a vegetarian, it will be a welcome alternative to the many restaurants that make almost no provision for meat- or dairy-free foods. If you aren't, who cares? Just enjoy the meal...

1  Thank Nujjii
Write a ReviewReviews (2,353)

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Terre a Terre has got to be the best vegetarian restaurant in Brighton. Yes it's expensive, but the food is presented so beautifully that you just don't want to ruin the display! The aroma of the food is irresistible and the taste...well the phrase 'food sex' came to mind. The menu is wonderful and they also have a set menu, sharing platters, lovely wines and a really warm welcome from the staff. Having my 40th Birthday lunch there was just perfect

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I visit Brighton on business occasionally, so it's been three years since I was last at Terre a Terre. Throughout that time it's remained a rich memory as that meal was so brilliant. Eager to return I made dinner there a priority. And once again it was tremendous. One of the best vegetarian restaurants in the UK, maybe the best. Inventive dishes requiring masses of work, really well put together and with flawless, service from knowledgeable by not pushy front of house team. I'd travel a long way to eat here. Brilliant.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Was blown away when I first found Terre a Terre in 2006, then by last year it had properly gone downhill. It's improved since then and still has some great dishes, but my friend's aubergine was "trying too hard" and my Chinesy starter was a bit tasteless, if one of the dips was nice. The menu descriptions are confusing and I'm sure the portion size of the battered halloumi has gone down(!) but it was still very nice. An £80 bill for 2 people having 2 courses with house wine & coffee is eye-wateringly dear though! Service was OK but a bit slow as it was busy, usually it's better.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

My son is a veggie and selected this restaurant for his graduation dinner (it's his favourite.) I was astonished at the flavours they could get out of the vegetables! I am converted (well - nearly.) The food looked fabulous and the presentation was exquisite. Who knew you could do so much without meat and get so much choice?! The memory of this meal has stayed with me - I can't wait to return. The restaurant is a very comfortable and pleasant interior and the staff efficient and friendly. I have no idea of the cost as I wasn't paying but it all looked and tasted expensive - top quaity.