“It was ok !”

Marine View Hotel Brighton
Ranked #58 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The owner was lovely and willing to bargain :-) rooms were small but clean. The photos on the website made it look better than it was. Its an extra 10quid to park too !!! Breakfast was ok, scrambled eggs not good. Sausage low quality but a nice choice of yogurt. We had a room at the top, no real view. The shower had no pressure :-/ Good location and couldn't fault the staff !

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank hedavis1991

Reviewed 23 September 2013

First the positives - the location is brilliant, and the staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, and we loved the breakfast room - really cosy and welcoming with a Wurlitzer juke box.
We were a rather disappointed with the room. Although reasonably clean, it was in much need of decoration and modernisation. Had the feel of a room in a tired old B&B. Looking at other guests photos, it looks as though some of the rooms are better than the one we were in. It wouldn't take much work to make improvements - a lick of paint, some new bedlinen, screw things back on the wall that are currently hanging off! If the rooms were updated we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank CrystalTips42
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I booked this hotel on reviews from other guests
Not sure if maybe I expect to much but the hotel gave me the worst room I have ever stayed in
If I had not already payed for room I would not have stay here

Room Tip: Beware of paying in advance leave yourself the option of seeing before you agree to stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jackie J
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed in Brighton for two days in late August. The owner of the hotel met us on arrival and was very friendly. We had made a special request for a larger room so we could fit our travel cot in which they had no problem accommodating. The hotel itself was cleaned to a reasonable standard but was a bit worn in places, however it was as expected for the price that we paid (the South East is ridiculously expensive compared to the rest of the country). The owner went out of his way to be helpful throughout our stay and I would recommend this property for that reason alone, although if you're looking for no frills, reasonably priced accommodation very close to both the town and the beach this fits the bill nicely. As we were so close to town I was expecting the area to be noisy but we had no trouble sleeping with the windows open. As a final word, I would advise anyone traveling to Brighton that parking is expensive, difficult to find and the traffic wardens are like circling vultures. I got a parking fine 5 minutes after my ticket expired whilst I was in the post office round the corner getting change for the ticket machine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I agree with some of the previous reviewers - don't expect much, and you won't be disappointed. I stayed for two nights in a single room (no. 5), it's a bit shabby, but clean, and the bed was surprisingly comfortable. No toilet in room was a downer - I haven't had to use a shared toilet since my student days! Breakfast was perfectly ok, I've had much worse (though also have had better), the people serving me at breakfast and checking me in/out were very nice. I suspect the price reflects the high season (the b&b is very close to the beach and is in the heart of Kemp Town), I do think it could be a little cheaper for what it is, though, or maybe the single rooms could do with a bit of upgrading. Can't comment on the double, sea-facing rooms, they're probably better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AkUk_11
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We had a short stay in Brighton and are very pleased with Marine View Hotel in Brighton. Very friendly and nice people and tasty english breakfast. Clean and nice room and an intimate living room to relax. In the central area of Brighton, with short distances to any venue.....And a Jukebox...We loved it! Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Trond715
Reviewed 20 August 2013

When we arrived we were greeted very warmly by the owner, Richard. Over the course of our stay he and the other staff went out of their way to accomodate our needs and make sure all our needs were met. The location of the hotel is amazing with the beach literally at the end of the road, perfect! We had a 5 person room, which is usually very hard to find in small establishments , but this one was clean and adequately big. Overall we were really pleased with our stay and we intend to come back to the Marine View Hotel whenever we come back to Brighton!

• Stayed: August 2013