“Exceptional for price and already plannig return trip”

Millifont Guest House
Ranked #42 of 47 Hastings B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I did not check in as I was not arriving until later but my partner praised the lovely service at check in and all the help he was given with regards to the parking, and even kindly offering an extended check out as they would not need to access the room. Although I did not meet the owners we have conversed by email to confirm check in time and they were very polite and helpful.

When I arrived at the room late (my travel options had been delayed arriving) we did find that the carpark where we had the permit until the next morning had closed (this was after 11pm so I do not know what time), however there were spaces along park of the road that only needed pay and display 9-6 so we were able to park and moved the car to the car park in the morning. Minor annoyance but certainly not the owners fault, just something to bare in mind for others planning to arrive back late by car.

Once inside however I was pleasently surprised for considering the price of £50 for an en-suite room in a very central location I was expecting to pay for the location and not the room. The room was beautifully and flawlessly designed with a lot of storage space and room to move about for two people. The only thing we didn't think to do was ask for the wi-fi password but there does seem to be the wi-fi there and next time I will remember to ask.

The bathroom was tiny, just a shower and a toilet with the sink in the main room, however I prefered the privacy of a tiny bathroom to shared facilities so have no complaints.

Regarding the cleanliness I could not complain at all, the whole place was spotless and there were the extras that you expect (spare toilet roll, enough towels, hand wash, hangers etc). The bedding was clean and felt almost new, the duvet was very comfortable (one complaint here was that it was so nice I was struggling to get out of bed), and the pillows were perfect for me.

Only two things to mention would be that we were not offered breakfast (we did not find this a problem as there are lots of cheap/good places in Hastings to go but if you are looking for a breakfast included this may not suit you) and that there was only a very small face mirror in the room. I would have appreciated a full length mirror if I was going out for a night but I say this only as a comment and definately not to put anyone off this lovely guest house.

Over all I think this is a lovely lovely place to stay and will be using it again.

Room Tip: This review is based on the en-suite bedroom
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and i spent almost a week in the Studio apartment, which, from the moment we walked into the first room, the bedroom, was a sheer delight. The colour scheme and overall layout is exceptional. Plenty of wardrobe space and added chest of drawers for all of our clothing. The bed was surprisingly really comfortable and for us (and this is only our personal opinion) the memory foam pillows really aided our sleep.

Stepping through into a kitchen that had everything we needed, and then into a shower and washroom area, with a separate toilet in its own little blocked off space, we felt we had everything we desired for our break away. The kitchen appears very modern, and the shower is superb quality (far superior to many we have had access to over the years.) With a large heated towel rail also included we got warm towels and added warmth in the room itself.

Barbie and Martin are exceptional hosts who are both friendly and welcoming. Martin helped us with our cases when we arrived, and would have helped us when we departed had we not left a little earlier than we originally intended.

If there was any downside at all, it would only be the creaking floorboards above us, and the risk of noise from other people staying in the house (possibly after a late night out.) But each of these negatives are not really anything within the control of the owners.

We highly recommend Millifont Guest House for long or short stays. And huge compliments to Barbie and Martin for providing pleasant accommodation - a 'home' basically away from home.

Room Tip: Exceptional value if you don't wish to share facilities. No direct sunlight but plenty of access...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My partner and I stayed in a "standard double" room. We found the owner to be friendly and helpful. They do require you to give an arrival time otherwise they may not be home. The room was spacious, modern, and clean. It was also nice and warm, which was appreciated on a frosty November night. The shared shower/toilet room down the hall was quite small and cold (it seemed to be unheated), but very clean. Location was great just five minutes from the station and about 15 minutes from the old town. We thought that this guest house was of exceptionally good value, as we paid less than £50. It would have been nice to have the option of adding breakfast, though, as this does not seem to be offered with the standard rooms. We tried going to the café a few doors down but it was closed, possibly because it was a Sunday. We found a good value breakfast at the pub a little further along.

We enjoyed our stay here. Two things would have made this experience even better. First it would be nice to have breakfast as an option. It seems like maybe the ensuite rooms have this option but in a standard room we didn't. Second, the bedlinen was uncomfortable. The pillow was extremely hard and when removed, the other pillow was too flat so it was difficult to find a comfortable alternative. The duvet was not large enough for the bed. With two of us (not very big people) lying in the bed, the blanket barely covered us with no spare at the sides. If one person turned over, the other was left with no blanket!

But we thought this place is exceptionally good value for money and would stay again. It was markedly more affordable than anywhere else we found in Hastings and of good quality too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fiona07
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We fancied a trip into Hastings for the night, and found the Millifont on a web search. It was a last minute booking, and we got a slight discount on the usual price because of this. No breakfast included, but that was ok, if we had wanted one there is a cafe down the road, or Wetherspoons 'round the corner which do them at a good price.

The guest house is in an ideal location for the New Town; a two minute walk into the hub, and 15 minutes down to Old Town, which is always worth a walk 'round.

We had a standard double room with shared facilities, which were all spotlessly clean. Free wifi available, but remember to ask for the password, as I forgot, and then got back too late at night to be able to use it. TV with freeview in the room, and large comfy towels provided. There is also a sink in the room, so if you only need a wash and to brush your teeth, no need to use the shared facilities, unless you need the loo.

Parking is available from 4pm until 11am the next day in the multi storey car park around the back of the guest house, so if you are driving, and arrive before 4, you can park in there, pay £1 per hour (or £3.50 for 4 hours) and then just leave the pass provided for the rest of the time.

My only one tiny gripe, is the memory foam pillows..they are so hard! But then all memory foam pillows are, I bought some for home and hated them! I just put the other pillow, which was not memory foam, on top, and was much more comfortable.

I have no hesitation in recommending this place as somewhere to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mandyb63
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I recently decided to spend a few nights away from home with my partner and booked this wonderful little gem . the place is very clean and comfy .
the owners martin and Barbie were fantastic hosts & made our stay most enjoyable
for the money we paid I cant complain .
best wishes a happy content customer :)

Room Tip: room in back are quiet!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We booked a standard room with no breakfast and were not quite sure what to expect as far as bathroom facilities went as the web was a bit unclear. We had booked the cheapest type of room and it did turn out to have shared facilities. The bathroom was close to the room, just down a couple of stairs and appeared to be shared with 2 other rooms, but I'm not really sure as the guest house does have some rooms with ensuites but they were all booked out. The room was of a very good size, it had a bay window overlooking the street which was nice, an ornamental fireplace and a tub chair. Everything was clean and comfortable, the bed a bit firm. The bathroom was very small and compact but well maintained and clean, good shower pressure. Free wifi is available. The guesthouse is located in Cambridge Gardens along with a number of others. It is only about 5 minute easy walk from the station and the new town with several restaurants and cafés nearby. The old Town is well worth a visit and is about 15-20 minutes walk away.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Williams17
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights and it was a pleasant experience. I hadn't realised the bathrooms were shared until we arrived - an idea I wasn't keen on - however, the bathroom nearest our room was spotless everytime I used it, so no problems there.
We had a room at the front of the house and slept with the window open, with no problem from traffic noise.
Had a chat with one of the owners and he was really friendly.
We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Animal_Lover_Yorks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
George Hotel
0 mi away
Number 46
Number 46
#5 of 47 in Hastings

Been to Millifont Guest House? Share your experiences!