“Perfect for a break”

Ranked #32 of 46 Hastings B&B and Inns
London
“Perfect for a break”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I stayed at the Tower House for a week on my own as I am renovating a flat nearby. The house is in a quiet road, just off the main road to St Leonards seafront, with a lovely view of hills and gardens (from my room at the rear) and it also has a beautiful garden. I had a small but well equipped room and was very warm and comfortable in a week which was cold and windy! I am a poor sleeper and slept very well in a comfortable bed.

Room Tip: I had room 3 for solo guests and it is situated on the first floor overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
TH1066, Owner at Tower House 1066, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Wishing you all the best for your new home in Hastings and thank you for your great comments.It means a great deal to me that my guests are happy.

Louise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bletchley, England
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Have just returned with a party of 8 from this B&B.
Rooms are very comfortable, I stayed on the top floor.
Loads of space, nice big comfortable bed, bathroom was also a fair size.
Nothing was too much trouble for the ladies that run this b&b, they set us up a table so we could order a take-away on the day we arrived. There is no bar, but you can bring in your own and the ladies let you use the fridge to keep it cool.
Sussex breakfast is very good.
The only drawback is the distance from the sea front, 10mins walk down hill. There are however plenty of buses and they run until 11pm. £2.10 from Hastings or £1.10 if you just want to come up the hill.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
TH1066, Owner at Tower House 1066, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and feedback its lovely to have happy guests makes my job worthwhile.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We booked a Friday and Saturday night. We were welcomed warmly and shown to a spotlessly clean and comfortable room.

Yeah, there's no bar to speak of, but we tend to sort ourselves out with a bottle of wine if needed anyway. If I wanted to stay up all night carousing I'd book into a hotel; that wasn't the purpose of this trip so I appreciated the quiet.

The little garden at the back is a lovely area and a credit to the owner.

The only slight niggle I'd give is the breakfast service could perhaps be a little longer but this didn't give us a major cause for concern. And I'd prefer a tastier sausage.

Overall I thought the property was good value for money. All staff were both friendly and relaxed. Good work.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
TH1066, Owner at Tower House 1066, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments all are very welcome and points noted.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Lovely building with fantastic gardens. Our romantic room was the last word, with the luxury en-suite corner bath down a private 'secret passageway' oak staircase! A real gem in the Hastings & St Leonards area.

Room Tip: Room 4 was great. Gardens, conservatory, romantic gazebo and terrace are a real highlight.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank charles r r
TH1066, Owner at Tower House 1066, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for your kind comments Im so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Tower House 1066
Oxford
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The owner Louise made special arrangements for us to arrive outside normal hours, and we found our room to be comfortable and well equipped (although, strangely, there were no water glasses and the pillows were a little hard.) The breakfast was very good, and freshly cooked. Tower House isn't a luxury hotel, but it does offer a homely atmosphere and good value for money. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenesaisfckall
Reviewed 1 August 2012

All seemed ok on arrival. The '24' hr bar was in fact a 'honesty' bar, but seeing as it only had 4 warm cans of light ale and one warm can of lager, well stocked it was not. Their was tea making facility's in the room, but no sugar or milk and the coffee had solidified. The showers were functional, but by no means impressive. The breakfast at an additional £7.50 per person seemed expensive and having read other reviews i'm glad i didn't bother with it.
Checking out went ok, albeit a little early.
24hrs after checking out i receive a phone call telling me that they are going to charge me £120 claiming that i had been smoking in the room and that they had had to refund 2 pairs of customers their room charges in full when i questioned this and asked for evidence/proof to back up this claim, i was sworn at by the 'manageress' (she would not give her name) and hung up on by the owner (Louise i believe).
You have been warned!!!!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank steve m
TH1066, Owner at Tower House 1066, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Guest
I have owned my business for 6 years. Whilst I appreciate your input here are the facts of the situation -

The Honesty bar is a 24hr bar, but as I explained to you when you arrived at 11pm at night, after booking two rooms only 10 min beforehand, the bar did not have much stock. I stated that you would be entitled to bring your own alcohol with you, which you duly did. So, the lack of stock was of no consequence to yourselves.

I am sorry that you didn't have any sugar,milk or coffee in your room, however, my mobile is on 24/7 and the welcome note in the guest rooms states that if you do need any thing to give me a call as I live in the property so Iam available 24/7.

I had a telephone conversation with you regarding smoking in your room, which you openly admitted to doing but tried to say you smoked out the window. Yes this was some 24 hours after you had left the premises, but the contact number I had for you went straight to voice mail initially. It took 24 hours for me to finally get hold of you.
During this conversation I explained that I would be charging you for the loss of the two rooms as per my terms and conditions on my website.
You then sent me a text message accusing me of scamming you. I then rang you. You then bombarded me with questions, demanding details of the complaining customers, which I cannot give out under data protection act. After some 30 minutes of going round and round in circles, my colleague also spoke to you, as she could see I was getting upset. She tried to explain the legalities to you and yes she did swear, but it was not 'at' you and she also apologised for doing so. Eventually, yes I did hang up on you because I felt that you were bullying me and would not listen to reason. You just kept telling me I was scamming you. On ending our conversation, I contacted the police and the environmental license officer as you had broken the law and endangered not only yourselves but the lives of my other guests.
Customer complaints and actions taken -
After airing and cleaning the rooms and all soft furnishings, when the new guests checked in I received one complaint from a guest about the stale smell of smoke, they suffer from asthma, and could not stay in the room, as I was full I had to move that guest into another room,for there inconvenience I refunded that guest one nights fee.The guest that stayed in that room that night I explained to them what had happened and as they were a regular guest they didnt object to the room smell.
The second guest complained to me the following morning on departure from the room that your friends had smoked in (although they denied the fact) , i recieved the same complaint, the stale smell of smoke,. I also refunded them for the one night they stayed.

There are no smoking signs at various places within the building and on the outside, which all clearly state that is is illegal to smoke on the premises and a fixed penalty fine of £50 will be imposed should this law be broken. This is not a new law it has been in force since July 2006. No smoking is permitted in any public places/buisnesses.

In the last 2 months I have had over 1000 guests through my doors and the last thing I want is for any of my guests to leave not having enjoyed their stay or endanger yourself or fellow guests.
Dont break the law and smoke in my business.

Louise Tester
Owner
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I am not a fan of accommodation in residential areas - problems with parking and limited garden space for relaxing. The Tower promised an exceptional garden and good facilities. The hotel has some elegant features dressed in a beautiful decor. But time has faded the Tower's best aspects and a failure to maintain them detracts from the experience. We would not stay here again. We always want something better than average.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StanleyCharles54
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and feedback I m sorry you didnt feel that your expectations were meet and I welcome constructive critisism so I can improve the experience for future guests.