“Brilliant stay”

Bannatyne Spa Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and myself had a lovely weekend break. Check in was quick and the staff lovely, our room had been upgraded to a suite not sure why but didn't argue the room was lovely and had everything we needed. Food was lovely both breakfast and dinner can't complain about anything there really, my steak was probably the best iv had even if it did cost extra!!! The spa is a little walk across the car park but not the big deal people on here had made out, yes it would be better if it was in the hotel but it didn't spoil our visit. Went to the spa for full body massage ...that I must say was only ok it defiantly wasn't the best iv had but as it was included in our package was acceptable. The swimming pool was good and my partner loved the out door hot tubs overall a brilliant stay and would defiantly go again.

• Stayed: July 2014
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear, lottielay,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, I am delighted you had a “Brilliant stay ”

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the lovely room, the food at both breakfast and dinner. Including the Best Steak you have ever had.

On behalf of myself and the team at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel, We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Bannatyne Spa Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Received a friendly and professional welcome which made a nice difference. I hadn't pre-booked - just drove on in after exploring the coast and felt I'd made the right decision.
Room wasn't massive but was perfectly fine and was well appointed (bottled water, hair dryer, lotions and potions etc). Must be expensive to furnish an old building like this and although the walls seemed to have been wallpapered at some stage and painted over it really didn't bother me - it was clean, had tidy contemporary furniture and nice bedding. The shower had the normal shower and a rain shower option which was a nice point of difference.
Access to the health club was a bonus. Would be great if someone offered to show me around or tell me where things are, what fitness classes are available etc but they didn't. I got the impression that their business is their members, not the hotel guests. Still I asked questions and got the info I needed.
I'd stay again if I was in the neck of that woods again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear, Safarinjema,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, I am pleased that you titled your posting “Just what I needed.”

I am delighted that you enjoyed one of our massive, clean and tidy bedrooms. Also I am glad you had time to utilise the great facilities in the Health Club, all part of the excellent value for money, while staying at our hotel.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Beautiful building, good location and lovely well cared for grounds. Receptionists are very friendly and provide a lovely welcome but they can't resolve difficulities so this makes them ineffective when there is a problem (which is a management issue, rather than their fault).

The dinner was fine, a couple of minor issues which we did mention. I would have liked to swap my dessert as it wasn't too good (it was set so firm for a pannacotta meaning the texture wasn't right and the 'crisp' shard was soggy) but we couldn't get the attention of the staff so I shared my husband's dessert instead which was lovely and then explained the problem when they came to clear the plates. We were refunded but I'd have preferred the option of changing my dessert.

The spa was a walk across two carpark areas which, although not awful, was a bit awkward in a robe. The spa itself was lovely. The external jacuzzis need maintenance - they had signs up to warn you. There is a lovely big pool, steam room and sauna as well as a large internal jacuzzi and it was very clean and tidy. I was not recommended to try any treatments either by the hotel reception or the spa reception. I would have been interested in having some treatments but did not get the impression they were interested. The welcome there was not overly warm in contrast to the receptionists in the main hotel.

The room let the hotel down. The carpet needed a spot clean, the mirror was smeared and one of the coasters placed under the clean glasses was coffee stained on our arrival. Everything else was of a high standard. Our major problem however was that the room was unbearably stuffy which we communicated to the hotel on arrival, one hour later and at check out. There were no fans left for us to use as other residents needed them for the same reason and we were not offered an alternative room. Even leaving our door open for an hour (at the end of the long corridor where people were able to see straight into the room) didn't alleviate the lack of fresh air. We were told it was a problem with the rooms in the old part of the hotel. Unfortunately, other reviewers online have shared the same experience. If the hotel are aware there are temperature control issues in certain rooms, why hadn't they already bought fans for every room effected? Apparently they did so - after we'd left!

We were genuinely uncomfortable all night because of the stuffy atmosphere and this was a huge disappointment. Before leaving this review I emailed the hotel and was offered an upgrade on a future stay (paid for at the best price available at the time). As this is not really an option for us to do in the near future, I did respond to the General Manager's email to give him a further opportunity to compensate us for the uncomfortable night already paid for but sadly that was where the communication ended.

Being given a horribly hot room which wasn't immaculately clean was a surprise for the rate paid. To have no fan, no change of room and no offer of compensation was depressing. And, for the General Manager not to reply to my second email was just poor. Perhaps had we been in a higher standard of room our opinion may have mattered more.

So, would we spend £130+ for another night in this hotel? No. Not once the General Manager became involved and did nothing. He offered compensation in the form of a future upgrade (meaning another expensive night's stay in the hope it would be an improvement on the one already spent) and ignored my second email despite the written confirmation I received saying my message had been forwarded to him.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not in the old part of the building - and if you're not sure which area you're...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear, Kaelcl,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, we are sorry that you felt let down on this occasion. However thank you for your positive comments regarding the building, location and grounds. In the first correspondence the room was also commented as pleasant as was dinner.

I am also sorry that you did not bring to our attention the other issues posted on Trip Advisor, in any of the previous correspondence. Please note I responded to the first communication, once passed to me, within 1 Hour.

I have spoken directly to the Spa regarding the essential maintenance commented on, which is being rectified.

The bedroom issues, I have now addressed with the Housekeeper, please accept my sincere apologies, this was not to our usual high standard.

Please note, over half the hotel bedrooms do have Air conditioning; fans are available on request for rooms without.

On behalf of myself and the team at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel, we do hope that sometime in the future you will return and accept our fair compensation offered.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked a spa package, staying at the hotel with full use of the spa/gym facilities. On arrival, the hotel staff could not have been more welcoming, and the room was lovely. However when we went over to the spa and tried to book exercise classes we were told very rudely that we were not entitled to do this, and could only go into classes if there were spaces once the class had started - despite having been told at the hotel we could use all the facilities, and having been given a class timetable to book from. To be honest, this unhelpful and rude attitude completely ruined what should have been a pleasant and relaxing experience, as we were left fuming for the rest of our stay, and didn't even want to go back to use the other facilities. I shall never go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jill D

Dear, GirlsweekendLondon,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, we are delighted you had a Girls weekend away at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel.

I will pass on your comments, that the hotel staff could not have been more welcoming, and the room was lovely.

I have also passed on your comments to the Spa Manager, regarding the spa receptionists commented on.

On behalf of myself and the team at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel, We hope that you will return sometime soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel organised the wedding of our daughter Sophie on Saturday the 5th July 2014 and what a great weekend it was , the hotel itself is lovely and with great staff it works well . Nothing is too much trouble and they dealt with all our requests efficiently ,with over 100 people this is not always easy. Although it rained and the service had to be inside rather than in the garden it couldn't be helped and made all the last minute adjustments with no fuss. The hotel manager and Assistant manager who ran the day for us were very professional and made the whole day run smoothly and we're totally on the ball. All the guests who also stayed for the weekend had nothing but praise for all the staff and the food.
I know the hotel is busy with wedding all the time but you can see why when they do it so we'll.
A big thumbs up to the Manager and all staff for a weekend to remember.
P.S ( over branding , didn't he realise its a business , wake up . )
B. Pelling

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear, Barbara P

Thank you for placing your very kind comments on Trip Advisor, we are all delighted that all had a Brilliant Weekend.

I will pass on your comments to the whole team, that there was nothing but praise.

Although we are a busy wedding venue, we treat each special day individually, often exceeding expectation.

On behalf of myself and the very professional team at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel, We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having only seen the owner of this spa on Dragon’s Den and known nothing about his brand previously I’m now left in no doubt what his intentions are: a world dominated by having his surname plastered over everything! The hotel was a really lovely place set in some stunning grounds and so so quiet (just the occasional selfish motorbiker with a stupidly loud exhaust in the distance.) It’s charm is the location rather than the hotel itself. It’s a very nice, if rather corporate feeling hotel. Nothing stunning in terms of facilities, rooms or food to make you go wow! We stayed in room 30 – a large double with a sofa bed for our 7 year old on the top floor with a big shower and a free standing bath IN THE ROOM! While I’m on the sofa bed subject, it was barely passable for a 7 year old, there is no way you could expect an adult to sleep in it, the mattress was as thin and as cheap as any mattress I have seen, you could feel every spring in it and we ended up using pretty much every towel in the room to pad it out a bit. I did point this out to the manager who said he’d look at it. Breakfast was quite a highlight, taken in the conservatory looking out over the lovely grounds it has an air of good quality food about it, no cheap sausages or bacon here, obviously much effort is made here and it shows. The spa is about 1 minutes’ walk from the hotel and here is where the Bannatyne brand hits you – it’s EVERYWHERE, towels, drinking bottles, soap, staff, walls, floors in fact if you can plaster your name on it, it has been done! Disappointingly our 7 year old was only allowed in the pool from 2pm to 7pm which means that on the day of check out he couldn’t use it (they do say you can use it after check-out but if you have a journey ahead of you (and you are packed) you are not likely to do so.) Surely 2 hours in the morning wouldn’t hurt? So Duncan, you have a lovely hotel here, a few niggles to fix and it would be an amazing hotel, make it bit more special (nicer quality furnishings, thicker fluffier towels, better mattresses, non- Bannatyne branded toiletries (maybe some Moulton Brown) more boutiquey decoration and you’d have a stunning spa.

Room Tip: Room 30 is pretty big. 2 really big TV's and a sofa bed (although be aware of the cheaper than c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ceebee1002

Dear, ceebee1002,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, I am delighted you found the hotel to be really lovely.

I am pleased that you highlighted our breakfast, we are glad that you enjoyed our fine offerings. As discussed we are currently reviewing some of our furnishings, to further enhance the brand.

Please note, there are some great Bannatyne products available to purchase at the Hotel or online @ http://www.bannatyne.co.uk/shop

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for one night so we could visit a vineyard nearby and do some wine tasting.
We we're really pleased with the hotel. The gardens are lovely and we spent all afternoon/evening laying on the loungers drinking wine. Bliss!
Our room was really nice. It had views over the beautiful garden. Lovely decoration and very nice bathroom & shower. The bed was also heaven!
Had a fantastic stay. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jo W

Dear, JoW,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, I am delighted you “Had a lovely stay!”

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the afternoon laying on the loungers, drinking wine and that you found the room to be really nice.