“Carey Wedding 2014”

Bannatyne Spa Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I recently got married at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel in Hastings. From start to finish, Bannatynes have been amazing. From the planning of our wedding back last year, to the special day itself, a few members of staff have stood out to us, and exceeded all our expectations. Monica who is involved with the event planning was a great help, and was there anytime we needed her assistance. Our wedding day itself ran perfectly (despite the weather-which cannot be helped!) Jameson and Marco were absolutley brilliant, and made sure everything ran smoothly for us and our guests. Cannot fault them in anyway. The food was delicious, and we had lots of positive comments on this. The waiting staff were very proffessional at all times. The accomodation was great and was well equipped for me and 4 bridesmaids!! Monica also organised (at late notice!) a separate room for us and our wedding guests to have a private breakfast the morning after, which was very kind.
Overall, my husband and I are so pleased we chose to get married at Bannatynes. Lots of our guests also stayed the night of the wedding, and gave good feedback on their stay.

We would like to thank Bannatynes for the amazing day they helped us celebrate, and especially to Monica, Jameson and Marco for all their help.

Ashley and Nicola Carey

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear, Nicola C,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, I was delighted that you commented that Bannatynes have been amazing.

I am very pleased that the team exceeded expectation from the planning of the Wedding to the big day, and could not be faulted. As mentioned in my previous replies, although we are a busy Wedding Venue, we treat each Wedding individually.

On behalf of myself and the team at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel, We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Bannatyne Spa Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My fiance and I came here for a two day "Dream Spa Break" and we had a lovely time.

The best thing about this place is the staff. They are all friendly, relaxed, chatty and were always willing to go out of their way to make our experience a pleasant one. It was a special occasion for us and so they pulled out all of the stops. Firstly they upgraded us to a Deluxe Room, then when we went out for a drink on the first evening we returned to chocolate-dipped strawberries in our bedroom! Also there was a free glass of bubbly at dinner :)

The Dream package was also a good deal. We very much enjoyed the afternoon tea - there was so much cake we struggled to eat it all! the included 2-course dinner was delicious (we also went for a chocolate fondant desert which was absolutely to die for!). We both enjoyed a very good Swedish back massage at the spa too - good pressure and really got into those knots in my back and shoulders! The outside hot tubs at the spa are also a fun novelty.

In the local area we discovered a lovely country pub with friendly staff, possibly the best burger we've ever eaten and a very generous and tasty cheeseboard (Queen's Head in Seddlescome). We also enjoyed the Old Town in Hastings, especially the Pirate Golf on the seafront!

They were set up for a wedding on the day we were checking out and it looked like a lovely place to get married. In particular the garden is very beautiful and we enjoyed spending time there lounging in the sunshine!

Highly recommended for a relaxing, friendly and welcoming break and a bit of pampering.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear, kskezz,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, I am delighted that you experienced both “friendly and excellent customer service” while on a Dream Spa package.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your room, the chocolate dipped strawberries and two course evening meal. I was however disappointed that you did not enjoy one of our Bannatyne Spa Hotel Burgers, always very well received. Maybe next time….

Reviewed 12 August 2014

To start with I'm really not a moaner but feel that unless people leave feedback when something is not right things don't get changed, so I hope the hotel take this a constructive criticism to save future guests becoming disappointed. Myhusband, my 9 year old son and I were staying locally at a luxury lodge and gave up our last night to come at stay at this 'Spa Hotel'. My husband used our rainy day money (as the last 3 days had been rainy with the tail end of hurricane Bertha) on a treat which we were really excited about. We had driven past the impressive gates of the hotel earlier in the week and said how lovely it would be to spend a night at the hotel. My first impression was not great as the grey/brown carpet in the entrance hall, stairs and corridors is tired, worn and dirty. There were stains on the bedroom carpet and the desk was tired and scratched. The dining area in the conservatory is pretty, but some of the chairs were stained and unsightly. We arrived early so took a trip to the Spa which I felt was no more than a step up from a leisure centre. Again the decor is tired and quite dirty (especially the family changing area toilets). The pool was cold and there are only 2 loungers in the whole of the inside pool area and it just doesn't cry out Spa! In fact I go regularly to a nicer Holiday Inn health club! We had booked a dinner, bed and breakfast rate of £200 which included a supplement for our son. We were then charged for our son's dinner on departure and told the rate did not include his dinner! I would not have minded if it had been a fabulous meal but it was not. Fillet steak was good, but my husband and I paid a premium on top of the already paid rate for this. Dessert, chocolate pudding was dry and when asked how it was the waitress just apologised when she saw the dry remnants. It would have been nice to have been offered something else when it was quite clearly overcooked. The one positive thing I can say is that the staff are all friendly and welcoming, but the Management really need to question the rate that is being charged for this hotel or consider some deep cleaning and refurbishment to reflect the tariff. The rooms are far from luxurious and left me very I disappointed. My husband has recently returned home from an operational tour with the armed forces. I can't even say the hotel do military discount! I would not go back - sorry.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank ACK_41

Dear, ACK 41,

Thank you for placing your constructive criticism on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectation, we have recently invested in some new carpets and will be investing in some new restaurant furniture in the very near future.

I was delighted that you commented on all the staff being friendly and welcoming. Please note we are constantly reviewing our housekeeping standards, to make improvements where possible.

Please be assured our current tariff rates, do reflect good value for money.

On behalf of myself and the team at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel, we do hope you will change your opinion and return sometime soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Not at all the experience I would have expected form a Bannatyne Spa Hotel - Would not recommend to anyone :-(
1. The spa is not connected to the hotel - quite a walk away.
2. The health club/spa is open to the general public.
3. Hotel is looking very tired and sad.
4. Robes provided are very old and shabby - all same size extra large and have no belts.
5. Only 6 relaxation beds in spa! Spa is very small feel very cramped in. Pedicures and manicures done in reception area amongst people waiting to check in :-(
6. Hotel beds - mattresses very old you could feel the springs through them.
7. Swimming pool although 20m in length only two lanes to swim in and very narrow not normal width. There should be a separate children's area if children are allowed in.
8. Yoga class - Hmmm more a stretch class not impressed not yoga - only class with a space!
9. We had an upgrade on room - executive!!! No way it was basic - no shaving mirror, tissues, old mattresses and very tiny.
10. Changing area - very large, very loud with children running around.

All in all would not recommend to anyone, only positive point would be that the food both dinner and breakfast was good.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank JANE B

Dear, JANE B,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, after your Overnight Spa Break.

I am very sorry that you will not be recommending to anyone, however you will note that our website indicates quite clearly that the Spa and Health Club facilities are located a short walk away.

Having reviewed the other comments, I was delighted that you commented on the food at Dinner and Breakfast as good. Please note our robes are being replaced, and our beds have been reviewed are in good order.

The comments in relation to the Health Club are disappointing on this occasion, however I would say that most Spa guests enjoy the additional fully equipped health club facility.

On behalf of myself and the team at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel, We do hope you will change your opinion, and return soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This review is for the Spa only as we did not stay in the hotel. We arrived at the Reception and informed the Receptionist we had a Virgin Spa Day booked, and she tossed some forms at us and told us to go and sit in the cafe (then just left us there).
Not a relaxing spa feel at all to this place, they are trying to cram everything in in one small space. People having their nails done crammed in the corner while people in their robes are trying to find somewhere to sit to wait for their treatments. We had two full body massages booked and were told we could wait in the relaxation room which has 6 relaxation beds in. One of the beds was broken and when we informed staff we were told "yes it's broken and there is nothing we can do". There was no sign placed on the bed to inform people of this. If you do manage to get a (working) bed in this room (a lot of people were coming in and walking out again as there were no free beds a lot of the time) they are very nice.
We were called in for the massage by two very friendly ladies. The massage itself certainly wasnt the best i have and at times was rather uncomfortable but i fugured the masseuse knew what she was doing and had found some knots to push out and that i would feel the benefits afterwards. Unfortunately after we had arrived at our hotel half an hour away my back was starting to feel quite sore, and within two hours big bruises appeared all down the side of my back!! I think i was clearly unlucky with the masseuse i had as the lady i went with really enjoyed her massage by the lady she had and had no complaints at all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Shellessex

Dear Shellessex,

Thank you for your comments regarding your Spa experience.

Although your posting was for the Spa itself, please be assured I have passed over the comments to the Spa Manager, who is reviewing the content of your review.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

A surprise treat for my other half. Two night stay, the room was beautiful, very comfy and had everything we could ask for. The spa facilities were lovely, we had a nice massage, used the gym, which was very well equipped. The sauna, steam room and especially the out door jacuzzi's were most relaxing.
We enjoyed a lovely buffet breakfast and two course evening meal, all the service was excellent apart from on the Friday, the staff were rushed off their feet, so unfortunately did not get to make use of the breakfast menu, which was a shame. I must say though the best experience with the food though was the afternoon tea, I'm gluten and wheat free and they did an amazing spread, I was absolutely thrilled.
The only real downside to our stay was the fact that they'd added extra drinks onto our bill as they had a few receipts made out to our room number, but they were not signed for which we were not very happy about so I would say make sure to double check your bill.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura N
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear, Laura N,

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, I am delighted that you had a great “surprise treat.”

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the beautiful room, the lovely buffet breakfast, afternoon tea and two course evening meal.

I must apologies if there was an error on your account. I will investigate further.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

A fine Georgian country house set in 38 acres of stunning gardens and woodland at Battle.

Despite the room not being ready at the scheduled check in time (a complimentary drink would've been appreciated!) our two day spa package was a real treat. Having been delayed, and spa treatments booked, I requested robes and towels be sent to the room asap and they arrived without delay.

The room itself was clean, tidy and comfortable - as were all areas of the hotel and spa. There was a lift to our floor, which made life a lot easier.

We drank cocktails in the modern bar and dined in the conservatory restaurant. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. So much so, we're considering a return visit during the forthcoming Christmas season. The breakfast was awesome :)

There is complimentary access to the Bannatyne's Health Club, situated in the grounds. We used the 20m pool, steam room and spa pool. our package included a facial and back massage, designed to indulge, detox and de-stress both men and women.

They even have a helicopter landing pad within the grounds - just in case Duncan fancies a visit no doubt!

There was a wedding at the hotel on the day of our arrival and so the gardens were full of wedding guests and the noise beneath our window, from the terrace below, at night (and into the early hours) was an issue. As were the empty beer cans, strewn all over the car park on arrival.

There is also a riding stables within the grounds - alas, I did not know this until it was too late!

Would we return? yes we most definitely would! :) x ...

Room Tip: No.25 overlooks the terrace and can be noisy if there is a wedding taking place.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear, Pat H,

Thank you for placing your Wonderful comments on Trip Advisor, I am delighted you had a Wonderful Stay.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the clean, tidy and comfortable room, however disappointed there was a slight delay on the room being ready. I will pass on the kind comments regarding the delicious and reasonably priced food.