“Enjoyed our stay”

Shear Barn Holidays & Touring
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed at Hastings Touring Park for a week in August with our tent and 5 children. I must say I was pleased we chose this park. The park was fairly busy (August) but we were in the back field where there was more room. The staff were all welcoming and polite, site was clean and the facilities were also kept nice and clean.
Kids were a little disappointed with the play park area as they felt this was fairly limited compared to other places we have stayed so they preferred to make their own games up on the field.
We went out everyday so didn't spend too much time on site. The area was fantastic. Nature reserve surrounded the site and you could literally walk for miles.
Apparently this site is walking distance to the town centre but I wouldn't have wanted to walk it due to the hills and uneven surfaces along the way.
The only negative things I have to say about it, and it did annoy me was, The swimming pool. It was a rainy day so thought we would take the kids over to the pool. I got there and was charged £12.50 for two adults and 2 children and was told I could only have an hour in there. I was very annoyed as I couldn't tell the kids we couldn't go in as they were excited but the pool is fairly small and no where near £12.50 of anyone's money for an hours entertainment. They don't accept card and there was no cash machine. Had to spend £5 in the bar on crisp to get cash back. Literally not a happy camper! Personally if you would like to go swimming, check out some of the pools in the local area first. Apart from this, we enjoyed our stay and would go back again. :-)

1  Thank wings149
Kelly O, General Manager at Shear Barn Holidays & Touring, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Hastings Touring Park.

I am pleased that you found the Park to be clean and tidy and the team were all friendly and helpful.

I have also noted your comments regarding the Swimming Pool prices and the lack of a cash point on the Park and will discuss these in our next management meeting.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We camped there this bank holiday weekend and we loved it. Staff really nice, clean place and wonderful surroundings. We had a superb time walking the paths that the lovely lady in reception suggested us!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tammyp2000

Thank you for a lovely review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here on the August Bank Holiday weekend. Check-in was easy (watch this space) and the two people we came across were superb - young and friendly.

Arriving on the park was pleasant, except for the older lady on the touring park barrier gate - her sarcasm made my stomach turn from the moment I met her. Nevertheless, I thought it need not ruin my break, so I went by my business.

The site is a good size, lots of nice caravans and tents and some very nice people. The facilities, on the other hand, we're less than adequate. On the tent field there is one block of toilets and showers. Both gents and ladies had 4 showers and 4 toilets. However, during my stay, two of the lavs in the gents were unusable for various reasons, ie no latch on the door etc. This meant that the hundreds of blokes on the tent field were sharing the remaining two and needless to say, they became rancid very quickly and were extremely busy.

The location of the site is spot on. It's very 'hilly' and is right next to a country park - great for walkers. It is also fairly close to the pleasant sea front.

Towards the end of our stay, when trying to go through the barrier into the site, it came about that we hadn't in fact been checked in properly and therefore hadn't been given a tag for our tent nor a pin number for the barrier. Once again the older lady who manned the entrance was a disgrace to humanity. Her attitude was sarcastic, she was unsympathetic and unapologetic. It seemed to be our fault that we hadn't been checked in properly. She really was an absolute liability in my eyes, she should not be in direct contact with customers. This was solved in the end without too much drama.

The bar/restaurant was also good - decent sized and friendly bar staff. I found the young lad behind the bar particularly welcoming.

We planned to give our feedback of the stay on our final day there but in fact we left spontaneously the night before due to the forthcoming stormy weather.

Overall, we mainly enjoyed our stay. Nice park, great location, nice bar restaurant. Poor management and service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeeGregory17

Please accept my most sincere apologies that you did not have a good experience with us, as I was unaware of your complaints until I read your recent review, I would like the opportunity to investigate your complaint but do require some more detail.

If you would like to contact me on Kelly.owen@shearbarn.co.uk I would appreciate it.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

we stayed in the VIP lodge with the hot tub and i can't fault it at all, we had a lovely welcome by staff at reception and found our lodge easily which had a amazing sea view and was very quiet. The lodge itself was spotless and very modern with everything you need to make sure you have a great stay, a welcome pack was waiting for us on arrival which was a nice surprise!
We made use of the hot tub daily with staff coming to check the levels every morning and also visited the pool which was great!
We will be coming back again very soon!

1  Thank ahmadfam

Thank you for this lovely positive review.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your VIP Lodge and the cleaning standards were of a good level. The welcome packs have had some great reviews this year so we are pleased you appreciated the extra touch.

We hope that you will join us for your next holiday!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

camping at shearbarn booked 3 pitches with electric hook up in may for august when we got there we had only 1 pitch so we could not all be together will not go there again wast of time booking

dave s.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank dave6ext

Thank you for your recent review.

Please accept my apologies that we were unable to accommodate the three bookings next to each other, in busy times like bank holidays, we do our best to allocate the groups in the same area, however, this is not always possible due to the numbers we have arriving.

I am sorry if this had a negative impact on your stay and I hope this does not prevent you from booking with us in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was our first family holiday camping trip which we can honestly say was fantastic! We arrived in Hastings and took a wrong turn (due to the directions we had downloaded - nothing to do with the site), we rang and explained where we were and a very helpful lady on reception advised us where to go.

Perfect instructions, checked in at reception and advised to go up to the barrier on the camp site where we were greeted by a lady who told us our pitch number, opened the barrier and then walked over to our pitch and gave us further information, instruction and ice lollies for all, a nice touch after a long journey and the kids were happy.

We were then left to put up our tent on a spacious pitch in a gale! Thankfully some fellow campers saw us struggling against the elements with two small children and came to help.

The toilet facilities were clean, one slightly more spacious than the other so we chose to use that mostly even though it was slightly further away than the other. The washing up areas were clean and perfect for their function. Water was easily accessible.

We ate in the retreat restaurant on a couple of occasions and found the food to be excellent and good value for money. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and worked extremely hard.

There were a group of lads hanging around in the washing area and had cheekily pushed the toilet rolls in so no one could use them, I did mention this to a member of staff on the site and he was very accommodating and advised that he would get security to keep an eye out, never heard another thing from the lads.

The site ticked all the boxes for us, the location was perfect, the grounds were well maintained, there were play parks for the children (not too close to the tent fortunately!) a swimming pool and restaurant, again away from the main pitching area which is what we wanted. There is a country park right next door and some fabulous walks to be had.

We have read some negative reviews about the staff but have to say that everyone we spoke to was extremely helpful and informative and constantly offering the children ice lollies!

If you are looking for a well kept site with good facilities for all that is not swamped by amusements or noisy tacky entertainment then this is for you. We had a fabulous week and will definitely be returning in the future.

The Purser family. :-)

Room Tip: Make sure you specify all that you require, we chose electric hook up for our tent and were glad we...

The Purser family

Thank you very much for this positive review, these reviews are very much valued by the team here so we are very grateful.

We hope that you will return to Hastings Touring for future holidays, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Just got back after staying 4 nights at shearbarn in a 2 bedroomed lodge. We arrived early evening just as reception staff were leaving. Very helpful staff, explained to us how to get to our lodge, nothing was too much trouble. Lodge was brilliant, there was a welcome bag with a few supplies for our stay.two bedrooms, TV with built in DVD in lounge area came in handy we only used the kitchen for breakfasts but it was well equipped if we wanted to cook. We had two evening meals at the restaurant , I can honestly say the chicken tikka was the best I have ever tasted. we used the swimming pool twice, small but never overly full. The site itself was very well maintained,quiet and clean. Close to Hastings but has a very narrow, steep access road.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

What a lovely review, thank you so much.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great time here at Shearbarn Holiday Park. It is always nice to hear that our customers were impressed with their holidays and the service levels provided by the team.

I will pass your kind comments onto our Head Chef Dan, he will be over the moon that you enjoyed his Chicken Tikka!

Thank you once again for your lovely review, the team will be very happy.