“Alexanders bnb good for me”

Alexanders Bed & Breakfast Hastings
Ranked #21 of 48 Hastings B&B and Inns
Southport, United Kingdom
“Alexanders bnb good for me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Much above good actually, well appointed room and very clean. Breakfast excellent with attentive service and smile from Wendy. Night staff in attendance and contact numbers available when owners not in. good value for money. Have read negative reviews which seem harsh, I mean what do people expect for £50 a night ? Claridges ?

Room Tip: sleep quality rating due to noise from cab office at rear of property
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We spent the night here as we were meeting friends in the Old Town. Jenny the host was very welcoming and even carried our bag up to the 2nd floor. We stay in a lot of hotels and have never had that before not even in the Radisson Hotels in London so a very nice touch. She apologised that the room was small but we have been in smaller and it was perfectly adequate for one night. The shower room although very small was really nicely done out and the shower was excellent. The sea view was lovely and the location is also ideal - just about a 10 minute walk to the start of the Old Town. Very nice frontage as well. The only downside for us was breakfast is a bit early on a Sunday especially when you've had a late night but that's not a criticism of the Guest House. Overall it was excellent and would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Alexander's for a night whilst doing a mini road trip. The welcome was warm and couldn't be faulted. The host apologised for the room size which was tiny and whilst it didn't hinder our enjoyment of Hastings, it was pretty cramped especially in the hot weather. It was difficult to get things from our bags unless we put the on the bed. My husband, who is 6ft found the bathroom a little claustrophobic.

Being located at the front and having to have the windows wide open to keep the small space cool, the room was noisy from traffic and cigarette smoke from a balcony on the next building wafted in throughout the night. The seagulls of Hastings also start squawking at just before dawn! Not the hotel's fault but not ideal! However, the view is fabulous - the caveat seems to be noise / size / temperature... The room was visibly clean although when finding a socket for my phone charger behind the bedside table, I think the dusty, hairy skirtings could use a spring clean.

The common areas of the building are period and attractive as is the outside and definitely the more attractive choice to its neighbours which look rather down at heal by comparison.

It's roughly a 10 minute stroll to the old town, so the location is good with parking close by.

There was nothing to complain about as such but it wasn't a wonderful stay. Perhaps had the room been slightly larger, quieter or cooler (or all of the above) we'd have found it more enjoyable?

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank DelighfulTea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Have just come back from a 2 night stay. Very clean, comfortable house,reasonable prices.Bed very comfortable. Wendy & Keith are lovely host's, making you feel very welcome. Breakfast very nice, Keith does a lovely "dippy" boiled egg!! Rooms are nicely decorated, shower room great.All amenities needed for a Holiday included,TV, hair dryer, mini fridge, tea, coffee & biscuits in your room. Iron & board on the landing. Bikes to hire if your feeling energetic. Not sure where Molly(see below) stayed but I would have to STRONGLY disagree with her comments. I would definitely go back and recommend this guest house to any one staying in Hastings. We had a sea view room and the most wonderful weather. Well located for Old town and all the local places of interest.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a sea view, rooms at the back look out over shops.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Very clean and comfortable. We were lucky enough to get a room with a balcony and a lovely view of the sea. Short walk along the seafront to the old town which is full of interesting shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. We originally booked for 2 nights but extended our stay for another 2 nights; we were having such a good time. The photos online don't do it justice: it's much fresher and brighter in reality.

Room Tip: I would go for the room with a balcony on the first floor every time, although you do get a lot of n...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I am amazed by the amount of positive reviews of this establishment. I stayed here recently and have to say it does not live up to any of these reviews or even the pictures on the website. The website images are of lovely looking boutique style rooms, the reality is very different.

The bedside lamps were not the lovely looking ones in the pictures, they were from wilkinsons and had dirty shades. The curtains were falling down and were difficult to open/close. The carpet was grubby. There was dust and dirt everywhere. All the small finishing touches that the owners pretend to pride themselves on were not there, yet are in all the pictures. I feel very decieved as the rooms do not reflect the high standards I had expected.

The room was filthy. There was dust and dirt on the picture frames, grime around the bath, the toilet did not look like it has been cleaned for weeks, there was mold along the window frames and dirt and dust along the skirting boards and even on the door panels! The bathroom smelt damp all the time. The furniture was too big for the room. There was barely any space to move around and despite there being 2 chairs squashed in as well as a desk and wardrobe, (with a less than generous supply of 6 coat hangers to use), the only place to sit was on the bed.

The bed itself was a metal framed one which has seen better days and for the sake of health and safety should really be checked over and all fittings tightened up. It felt very unstable and the creaking noises every time i moved was enough to wake me up. The kettle is the size of an egg cup and had the shortest lead imaginable, when trying to make a brew I had to put the kettle on the floor to reach the plug point. THIS IS INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS!! There was also a travel fridge in the room which I didn't bother using.

The balcony was shared with the room next door and there was 2 chairs and a table provided for all occupants to use. Unfortunately on returning to my room after an evening out I found the couple next door sitting on the balcony right outside my window. Not only could they see right into my room I then had to listen to their conversation for a couple of hours, I really think the balcony should be divided (with a wall or a planter) just so there is a sense of boundries and some privacy between one side and the other.

I did not opt for the breakfast as at £7 per person I felt this was too expensive. There are plenty of places nearby where you can have breakfast for a lot less.

I am really disappointed in this establishment, I really do not think it deserves its 4 star status, its more like a 2 star. I hope that it is reassessed in the near future. it may seem petty to complain about the things i have mentioned but i really believe that it is precisely those things that show the owners lack of pride and lack of interest in their rooms and therefore their guests.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Molly1888
Kent, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

My gf and I stayed here for a night when we fancied a weekend away in Hastings. Trying to save a little money, we looked around for a good deal and settled on Alexanders. And it's certainly a pleasant enough place and would happily stay here again.

The only little issue we had was that our room was at the very very top of the house, which meant a LOT of stairs to climb. By the time we got to our room we were exhausted! lol

We found Alexanders to be clean, tidy, comfortable, welcoming, not too expensive, convenient for both the town and the beach, and the food was good. Everything you could ask for, really. :)

Room Tip: It's a long stair climb to the top rooms! But they may also be a little quieter?
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple