“All Hail The Vegan Ale!”
Review of Jenny Lind Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hastings
Jenny Lind Inn
Ranked #13 of 47 Hastings B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This is a little gem of a pub, which my wife and I discovered on our wedding anniversary break. Although we didn't stay here, it was the perfect retreat on a chilly afternoon to enjoy a few drinks by the heat of the log fire. The traditional decor, laid back, warm and inviting atmosphere and friendly chatty staff, provide the essential ingredients for a winning recipe. The biggest delight for me was the chance to quench my thirst with a few pints of 100% vegan ale from the local Hastings Brewery. Despite the cold, I suddenly felt like I had trekked across the desert, so these ales for me were particularly refreshing, satisfying and exceedingly quaffable, especially the Pale Ale! Well done to all the staff for making this watering hole an old favourite in the old town!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kensmoon
Angela S, Front Office Manager at Jenny Lind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you for your lovely review of the Jenny Lind Inn, we are pleased to have a range of ales including guest ales that we think you'll love. Maybe next time you visit you would like to combine your visit with a stay at the Jenny Lind Inn?

Reviewed 24 February 2013

The locals of Hastings, particularly the Old Town area love a good occassion to have a party. During May Day it's the Hastings Jack in the Green Festival and more recently in February or March, the Fat Tueday celebrations (aka Mardi Gras). I attended the later for the first time and stayed at the Jenny Lind Inn so that I could enjoy the evening with a few drinks and not worry about driving home.

The booking process was easy, I was given clear information about which doors to use to come in and out, particularly if I wanted to avoid going through the bar. The room itself was well decorated, clean and warm for a seaside February night. There was adeqaute space, the usual kettle with tea, coffee and biscuits and a bath/shower with plenty of hot water and complementary toiletries.

Breakfast is provided by the lovely cafe, The Ginger Jar, directly across the street from the pub. Open at 7.30AM, you present the voucher given to you by the Jenny Lind staff and a fresh, lovely breakfast is yours. In the evening there are numerous restaurants and eateries nearby from your basic fish & chips to more boutique/gourmet/wine bar meals...and everything in between. Hastings prides its self on good food.

The location is great for anything in the Old Town or sea front areas. However, be warned that parking isn't the easiest. Like Brighton, Hastings is really tight on their parking restrictions and you're very likely to be ticketed unless you use a proper pay & display car park. I suggest the one on The Bourne (A259) where you can walk through the alleyway straight to High Street and the Jenny Lind is just a few minuets walk to your left.

If you stay here during Fat Tuesday celbrations or the May Day/Jack In The Green weekend, expect the Jenny Lind pub to be active and buzzing with good friends, good music (there's a small stage) and good beers, often specially brewed by local breweries to celebrate the occassion. Of course this means that there will be pub noise until closing time but if you're there as part of the celebrations, this isn't much of a problem.

I have been at the Jenny Lind during times of no celebrations and you can't hear the pub from your room, so you'll get a good night's rest

The Managers at the Jenny Lind go all out to decorate the pub during these occassions. When I was there, the straff were all in carnival masks and costume and there were Mardi Gras beads strung everywhere.

And very reasonably priced!

So if you fancy a weekend in Hastings, close to what is best in food, music and Sussex Coast scenery I highly recommend the Jenny Lind

Room Tip: Rooms to the streetside may get early morning street sweeper noise, but the view towards the Downs i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank JammyWeasel
Angela S, Front Office Manager at Jenny Lind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Many thanks for the review, we at the Jenny Lind Inn are really glad that you enjoyed your stay. A fantastic time was had by all during Fat Tuesday and we are pleased that you felt part of it. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2013

We have stayed here twice in the last month and have found the Jenny Lind Inn to be a fine B & B in the middle of the Old Town. Even though both nights were busy Saturday nights on the High Street, the room was quiet as well as being clean and fresh. The bar itself is very relaxed with locals chatting away and no blaring jukeboxes - just low background music so you can really sit back and enjoy the atmosphere. The staff are very helpful & chatty. The breakfasts at the Green Ginger Cafe across the road are excellent indeed & the staff there are very friendly too. We will definitely come back. Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MissyHeath
Angela S, Front Office Manager at Jenny Lind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thanks for your review of The Jenny Lind Inn, we are pleased that you found us and enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

We walked past this pub after having a meal, I saw the large selection of beers through the window and had to investigate!! The staff were very knowledgeable and recommended a pint of the local Hastings brewery, even letting me have a little sample first. I'd say this is a must for beer lovers in the old town or seafront areas of Hastings, and I'm just sad we found it on our last night.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank edward c
Angela S, Front Office Manager at Jenny Lind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Many thanks for your lovely review of The Jenny Lind Inn, we really love to hear the feedback. We pride ourselves on having a great range, so good news that you noticed this. We are also very proud to be serving local produce, glad you liked it.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Enjoyed our one night stay-room very clean and comfortable with generous supplies of tea/coffee/bottled water/shampoo etc! Really good position for visiting the old town shops and resteraunts.Pleasant helpful staff-nice breakfast in cafe opposite and surprisingly quiet room-no noise from pub.Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle M

Thank you for taking the time to review The Jenny Lind Inn, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The old town's shops really are lovely and unique and we agree (slightly biased) that The Jenny Lind Inn is a great base for exploring them along with the seafront.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Stayed here for 5 days from the 27th August and was very pleasantly surprised. Room was excellent, Endless supply of tea coffee - a factor which testifies to the hosts attitude towards their guests, Bed comfy, staff impeccably friendly and helpful - etc etc.
Also surprising was the rates for the room which very reasonable.
The pub downstairs was always lively with music and the right amount of friendly activity.And their draft cider was the best I've tasted or a long time.

Whats special about this place is its position bang in the middle of a hub of activity. I was here during the amazing carnival week and it all happened here just outside The Jenny Lind. It was a wonderful experience and having come from a place in Plymouth which was the antithesis of hospitality it was a welcome I sorely needed.
Breakfast's in the restaurant opposite which doesnt seem to me ideal as there were some misunderstandings as to what you could have- but there again they made the best soft boiled eggs ever!
Suggestions for improvement: I'd love meals in the pub itself. I'm sure they'd be great and I'd love to eat there instead of the endless fish and chip shops nearby. In addition: The wifi never actually worked properly. As it's advertised prominently I think this should be remedied. The staff tried their utmost to get it work but to no avail - probably something to do with a radio station that was in one of the meeting rooms.

All in all this place is one of the best places I've ever stayed at and I hope to come here next year.(I"ll be downloading pics from the carnival outside the pub in a few days)

Room Tip: Anywhere's good but if you like to hear the hubub of the street the front rooms are great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mark_davie_2000
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed overnight 22 July.The room was very clean and the staff very helpful.Breakfast was excellant. A good setting in the old town a short walk from the sea front and the lanes. Only problem there is no parking.
Will be back!