“Good, almost very good”

Webbe's Rock-a-Nore
Reserve with OpenTable
Webbe's Rock-a-Nore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 385 Restaurants in Hastings
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We sat outside in the early evening sunshine and enjoyed a really lovely meal. My steak was very good and the hand cut chips were excellent. My wife chose three taster dishes which varied from fantastic (squid) to disappointing (beef skewers). My homemade dessert was superb. Service was very friendly. There are some lovely places to eat in the Old Town area and Webbe's is in a great position for watching the world go by, we will certainly return.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Maybe a little pretenious for Hastings. Food good but not exceptional would go again if in the area. Service good but what you might expect with the prices. Would prefer dishes to come with vegetables /salad rather charged separately. See Webbe's also did the catering at the Jerwood Gallery. Their menu seemed quite good but went to Jerwood too early for lunch. My Rocky Road there was ordinary

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Strolling around the fishing area of The Stade in Hastings on a sunny evening, Webbe's appealed because of its outside seating area. We secured a table in the sun and got stuck in to some nicely chilled pinot with some bread and olives. There is a relatively short list of starters, heavy on fishy things from which we chose, (and to give you an idea of the style of the food) dressed crab with bramley apple jelly on salad in a mustardy dressing and slices of granny smith apple. The crab was a quenelle of white meat and another of the dark meat - utterly delicious!. The menu includes a list of taster dishes which all looked good however we chose main dishes, again from the fishy side of the menu. The panache of seafood in saffron sauce was a superb blend of meltingly soft sea bass, cod and salmon with some juicy mussels and a king prawn with turned potato, carrot and courgette on a bed of spinach with a couple of asparagus spears, with a velvety smooth, buttery sauce. If I was being hyper critical, I might say that the green veg were ever so slightly too wet, releasing moisture onto the plate and thinning the rich saffron sauce. I might also add that for my palate, a couple of grains of salt were needed to lift the flavour of the dish. Overall though, a lovely dish. Too full for puds so I can't tell you anything about them but if the standard of the rest of the menu is any thing to go by they will be good. Service was professional if a little aloof at first although it mellowed into approachable friendliness. Overall, I can recommend this restaurant to aficionados of good fresh seafood, well cooked and attractively served.

1  Thank suemissb
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Was expecting more, as the chef in Rye is amazing, & Wild Mushroom has the kitsch factor. Sadly our meal last evening was tasteless. The lack of seasoning was evident, & the rest of the plate was covered in oils. The spinach was overcooked, & rather sadly, I was hugely disappointed. Added to that, we were unable to be moved to a table further away from screaming children (something you don't expect after 7.30pm), even though the tables remained empty for the duration of our visit. Such a pity, as my partners steak itself was cooked beautifully, as was my plaice.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great looking place, good service, poor overpriced and very bland food topped off with screaming children!