“over priced!”

Webbe's Rock-a-Nore
Reserve with OpenTable
Webbe's Rock-a-Nore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 396 Restaurants in Hastings
Price range: US$13 - US$27
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have literally just arrived home from lunch at this restaurant. It wasn't bad but not great either. I had lamb shank with oriental flavours, pak choi and bean sprouts which they served with mashed potato, oddly. noodles might have been a better idea! portion was small and I am left still feeling hungry. I paid £14 for this dish. Lamb was well cooked but that's the only enjoyable part of the meal. my partner had huss and potato curry, it tasted of a bland curry powder and not much else. very unimpressed with the lack of flavour. again fish was nice. Another had fish and chips which was very standard and equally as high in price! lastly I asked for a bloody mary, it had Worcester sauce sat at the bottom of the glass with some pepper floating on top and was served with out a stirrer. service with extremely standard... didn't seem interested in keeping customers happy.mashed potato resembled smash. I wouldn't go back.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Having eaten here several times I can say that their fish and seafood is excellent. Ask which is fresh off the fishing boats - these are hauled up just across the road, on the beach - you can't get any fresher! Not the cheapest but then Webbs isn't a chippie, it's a quality restaurant, although they do serve great fish 'n' chips if that's what you want, it's on the menu. Good portions and usually well presented. Service can get a bit slow when they are busy, which is every lunchtime when the sun is out. The only other problem is parking.
Not at all pretentious for Hastings! The town has all classes of both visitors and residents. For the enthusiastic, they run morning cookery school sessions, which I must try some day. Their restaurant in Rye is just as good.
And if you only want steak, why are you in a fish restaurant?

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We sat outside in the early evening sunshine and enjoyed a really lovely meal. My steak was very good and the hand cut chips were excellent. My wife chose three taster dishes which varied from fantastic (squid) to disappointing (beef skewers). My homemade dessert was superb. Service was very friendly. There are some lovely places to eat in the Old Town area and Webbe's is in a great position for watching the world go by, we will certainly return.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Maybe a little pretenious for Hastings. Food good but not exceptional would go again if in the area. Service good but what you might expect with the prices. Would prefer dishes to come with vegetables /salad rather charged separately. See Webbe's also did the catering at the Jerwood Gallery. Their menu seemed quite good but went to Jerwood too early for lunch. My Rocky Road there was ordinary

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Strolling around the fishing area of The Stade in Hastings on a sunny evening, Webbe's appealed because of its outside seating area. We secured a table in the sun and got stuck in to some nicely chilled pinot with some bread and olives. There is a relatively short list of starters, heavy on fishy things from which we chose, (and to give you an idea of the style of the food) dressed crab with bramley apple jelly on salad in a mustardy dressing and slices of granny smith apple. The crab was a quenelle of white meat and another of the dark meat - utterly delicious!. The menu includes a list of taster dishes which all looked good however we chose main dishes, again from the fishy side of the menu. The panache of seafood in saffron sauce was a superb blend of meltingly soft sea bass, cod and salmon with some juicy mussels and a king prawn with turned potato, carrot and courgette on a bed of spinach with a couple of asparagus spears, with a velvety smooth, buttery sauce. If I was being hyper critical, I might say that the green veg were ever so slightly too wet, releasing moisture onto the plate and thinning the rich saffron sauce. I might also add that for my palate, a couple of grains of salt were needed to lift the flavour of the dish. Overall though, a lovely dish. Too full for puds so I can't tell you anything about them but if the standard of the rest of the menu is any thing to go by they will be good. Service was professional if a little aloof at first although it mellowed into approachable friendliness. Overall, I can recommend this restaurant to aficionados of good fresh seafood, well cooked and attractively served.

1  Thank suemissb