“Welcoming and unique stay”
Review of BayTree House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hastings
BayTree House
Ranked #25 of 47 Hastings B&B and Inns
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Welcoming and unique stay”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Probably the best b&b we have ever stayed in! We were warmly welcomed by Trevor and Penny and offered a hot drink immediately. We met their beautiful dogs (Trevor and Penny were keen to know if we were happy to meet the dogs as they are aware not everyone may be a fan) and got to see the beautiful garden.

The room was perfect. We stayed in room 4 which was very light and airy and relaxing. We were provided with a bottle of water, a couple of bananas, cereal bars and chocolates- very refreshing and tasty! The bed was extremely comfortable and we felt very at home- the best night's sleep in a very long while. The ensuite was small but completely adequate and we were told that the shower was going to be a little small before we booked but we had no problems.

Breakfast was brilliant. Penny made us apple juice from apples she had picked that morning from the garden and she had also made her own jams and supplied us with fruit from the garden. We have never seen so much choice of cereal and the organic bread was delicious. We told Penny and Trevor we were staying over for our wedding anniversary and they surprised us with a card which was extraordinarily kind. Breakfast was of course vegan and it was one of the best we have ever had; there was so much choice that a cooked breakfast was not at all missed.

Trevor and Penny were perfect hosts and always had the time to chat to us and answer the questions we had about the house, the area and veganism. We would not hesitate to recommend Bay Tree House (a great base for Hastings, Rye, Battle and Bodiam Castle) and would certainly look to visit the area once more just to stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 4 was a double room with a beautiful old fireplace, it was very light and had a very adequate e...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed at BayTree House B&B during May, and found it to be an excellent vegan getaway!

The owners Trevor & Penny were very friendly and made sure we had everything we needed for a comfortable stay, and provided us with some great advice for places to eat out in Hastings and Brighton.

The building itself was beautiful, and clearly a lot of hard work had been made into making this  such a beautiful building.

Our bedroom was spotlessly clean, and very comfy! And had lovely little touches in the room too such as small snacks!

Breakfast consisted a wide selection of Cereals, Fruits & Juices, with some very tasty Artisan bread from their local baker!

A highly recommended stay!

• Stayed May 2011
Reviewed 30 May 2011

After visiting the Baytree house this weekend, I can't recommend this b&b more highly. Trevor and Penny were very friendly, and made us feel very much at home, offering us drinks on arrival ( Penny makes a great coffee!).

The Building it's self is a very impressive Victorian house, and has been finished to a very high standard, the rooms are beautiful!

If your new to te area, as we were Trevor is only to helpful to recommend a vegan restaurant or somewhere to visit.

We stayed for two nights and in the morning we had a fantastic breakfast, consisting of great breads ( from their local artisan bakery ) cereals, fresh fruit and  berries, ooo and loads of other vegan treats!

I very much enjoyed staying at the Baytree House, a fantastic Vegan getaway!!

• Stayed May 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2011

BayTree House is a superb and relaxing B&B in Hastings.

I thought all the rooms (I was given a full tour!) were superbly finished and stylish. An excellent eye for detail has resulted in high quality linens and bathroom products and a relaxing atmosphere. I took a room with a luxurious (shared) bathroom and an enormous comfortable bed with which I was very pleased.

The peaceful location is ideal for those in search of a relaxation with hosts Trevor and Penny supremely helpful and ready and willing to offer help on all topics. Equally they are willing to blend in and let you relax alone. Breakfast was a delight, with very high quality (and tasty) produce on offer to tempt all.

Well worth seeking out for an enjoyable stay with a difference in Hastings.

Room Tip: Just ask Trevor and Penny and they will help you!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Bath
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Google: vegan b&b. You know the list by heart, yes? But wait, what's this: BayTree House, Hastings? That's a new one! So, Hastings, that's near Brighton so we can visit a load of fab vegan places.

Arrived to find a rather splendid Victorian mansion and Trevor, who welcomed us like long lost friends. Made us a cup of tea and showed us to our room.

Room was wonderful. Large room with ensuite shower and a basket of fruit and some chocolate and nutty bars.

Spent a while chatting with Trevor about the house and the work he and his wife Penny (unfortunately away while we were there) had put in to convert from a dilapidated mess to the delightful place it is now.

Bed was comfortable and shower was hot and powerful.

Breakfast consisted of a table laid out with lots of goodies: various cereals, nut and fruit toppings, yoghurts, fresh fruit, two different types of fresh bread from the local artisan bakery and various spreads and homemade jams. Tea and coffee on hand to make as you wish.

Trevor was attentive and very interesting. Gave us potted history of Hastings, suggested a number of interesting places to visit.

All in all a super couple of days in a relaxed comfortable place.

Would certainly revisit.

• Stayed April 2011
London
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Having stayed in Drug Alley and an out of town chain hotel (which was comfortable enough but unfortunately also the destination of choice for the noisiest female guests in Hastings and who disrupted my colleague's sleep very badly) during a recent business trip to Hastings, I thought I would give the rather pleasant-looking Bay Tree House a go. Only a stone's throw from our business location, I was enticed by the 'vegan breakfast' publicised on their very recently published website. Im a meat eater but as I haven't been on an adventure, in fact, nothing resembling a holiday in almost 2 years, I felt that sampling something a little out of my comfort zone might add a spring to my step during our long work hours.

The house is at the end of a road of gorgeous old Victorian (?) houses and has what I would call an impressive driveway though there was only room for 2 or 3 cars (our beast of a hire car had to sit on the quiet road outside - controlled hours 9am - 6pm). The house is massive! My room (I took the smaller, cooler room; backpackers will sleep anywhere! My colleague got the really welcoming blue room with ensuite looking out to the front of the house) was green (Laura Ashley stylee) with a large, cosy, warm duvet under which I had a couple of night's good sleep (except for the wind banging on the window). The bathroom was at the end of a very short corridor but i didnt mind because a) I had it to myself b) it was very large and warm and c) love that shower!!! We were also welcomed in our rooms with a large bottle of water, some fruit and some cake and chocolate! Penny, who runs the B&B (she says she's old enough to be Ashton Kutcher's grandmother. I thought she was way younger; a benefit of veganism?!) was always on hand offering coffee, tea and hot chocolate; FAB!

Penny's partner, Trevor, told us a little about veganism but I didn't think in a way that made us feel bad for having bolognaise sauce smeared all over our faces. There were also 2 doggies but I didnt get to play much with them given our hectic schedules but if you do not like dogs, they were well guarded away anyway.

So... that vegan breakfast - very nice! Fruit (pineapple both days with grapes, kiwi and figs), ryvita, bread, cereals, alpro yoghurts, more fruit, all kinds of dried fruits and nuts and nut spreads which was a welcome relief from all the enticing fried breakfasts we had been having at our other accomodation. I believe Penny mentioned they are working on a vegan cooked brekkie.

So... am I going to give up meat after staying in a vegan guesthouse? Dont be silly. It was a chance to try something a bit different without prejudice. I must say however, I may have been converted to soya milk (organic unsweetened), it made my coffee really yummy! In all, a cosy night's sleep, caring owners and a location just 10 minutes walk to Hastings seafront. Yep, if you need a place to stay over the summer and all the Front hotels are packed, you wouldn't go wrong in trying Bay Tree!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business