“Hastings Trip”

Royal Victoria Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Check in at the hotel was done in a friendly and efficient manner. Cleanliness throughout the hotel was good. We opted not to take breakfast as it was rather pricey at £10.50 for a continental and £13.50 for cooked and there are plenty of good cafes in the town about 10 to 15 mins walk away. We did use the bar in the evening which was very quiet with only one other guest using the facility, prices were a little higher than in the town as you would expect of a hotel.
If visiting this area again I would consider staying as the price is very reasonable at £55 per night for a double room.

Room Tip: If you are about to book a room in this hotel, request a sea view as ther is scaffolding along the r...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Royal Victoria Hotel

Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed here for one night while visiting family in the area and were very impressed. We had a very spacious, well decorated suite with a sea view for £55 per night! Would highly recommended for a short break.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kenfaisey
Reviewed 12 September 2012

A typical quirky Best Western hotel
Spotlessly clean ,friendly staff verygood breakfast
very good value for money with excellent setting on seafront
all in all a comfortable stay and i am having to woffle on to make 200 characters when i have said all i want to

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Clearly a lot of work has gone into decorating the outside of this beautiful early 1900's building. The internal marble staircase could easily give a wow factor if only the decor was given some much needed TLC. There is no excuse for dead flowers, dusty plants and poor service. A piano bar sounds delightful, it was just a shame no-one tinkled the ivories as I would have enjoyed a drink from the bar at the end of the night, looking out over the sea. We had a family room, at £50 a night, having stayed the night before at a premier inn for the same price, the premier inn won hands down. The Royal's room was large & clean and they were the best points. We were prepared to overlook all of this until breakfast. Breakfast was a joke. A self service buffet, choosing from continental (£10) or full cooked (£13). We were a bit put out at having to serve ourselves the cooked breakfast for this price but gave it a go. Juices were warm, only semi skimmed milk, no healthy option cereal and "happy shopper" yogurt!!!!! I requested a jug of iced water which was clearly a big effort to deliver by the least customer focussed waitress I have ever met. An elderly couple requested a hot milk and a milky coffee, they may well have asked for the moon as it took 4 attempts for the waitress to take on board the request. Dirty linen, dirty crockery, poor service, over priced, over cooked but good sea view!!!! So on our departure I made our feelings known and gave them feedback of our experience... oh apparently all hotels only serve skimmed milk they dont offer a choice, but had I requested skimmed milk when I booked they would have tried to accommodate my request. Dont worry about my strange request for skimmed milk, I WILL NOT BE RETURNING! Best Western Royal Victoria, go and take a look at Best Western Quy Mill, Cambs and take note!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The hotel is very smart from the outside. A brilliant white frontage that stands out amongst the other buildings. The actual hotel car park near the entrance only holds 6-8 vehicles. However there is free parking around the outside of the hotel and a Pay/display car park opposite is free to park from 6pm to 9am.

Check in was quick and professionally handled. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of my double room with sea views. I would agree with other comments that if you are a light sleeper then the sash windows do not adequately mask the traffic noise. Tea/coffee and biscuis in the rooms as standard. There was also a fridge in my room which was welcomed with the recent hot weather.

The free wifi which is free without any catches had a strong signal in the bar areas. However as you went higher in the hotel the signal became very weak.

I ate most evenings in the Piano bar and found the menu extremely reasonable with large portions. The hotel also offer a childrens menu in the bar area. Food was delivered to my table swiftly and was delicious.

Overall I was very pleased with location of the hotel and the sea views from my room, the restaurant and the piano bar. I would certainly recommend it.

However don't forget to pack ear plugs if you have a sea view and are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Lower floors close to restaurant area should have a stronger wifi signal. Views of the sea from the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stayed two nights. For me, I look for basic items like power shower, not a mixer tap with shower attachment, decent size bed with duvet, modern TV. Then I look at the food, ambience etc.. Yes the hotel does enjoy some old classic features on the first floor but the "feel" of the hotel is ruined by the management. Reception staff are not top drawer, indifferent at times and this sets the tone. At breakfast the waiters are too lazy to pour you your coffee or tea instead telling you to pour your own and then wobble back to your table trying not to spill your drink on the way. Breakfast is buffet and of course, you collect it yourself as its not freshly cooked, mostly luke warm. The rooms and corridors have been decorated with all the expensive items in the rooms left in the 1970's decade with old small beds and blankets?? who uses blankets these days?The bedrooms also have carpets popular in the 70's. All in all, I guess you get what you pay for I guess.... we paid £72 for the room and £10 each for breakfast. Just about worth it........ just about.

The ground floor is completely under utilised. Chairs stacked in the 1st floor corridor and dirty towels left on the stairs. Very poor management!

Finally, the windows had gaping gaps of at least 1/4" through which the wind howled and ballooned the curtains all night. I pity those staying mid winter! Won't ever go back to a Great Western hotel again...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John N
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Having read previous reviews I didn't have high expectatinos but actually it wasnt as bad as I was expecting.

It has recently had a good repaint outside and looks good and the room was very spacious, bed perfectly comfortable, bathroom fine too and I had a good nights sleep. Only noise I could hear was people walking up and down the adjoining stairs in the morning. Furniture typical of Best Western ,not modern but perfectly acceptable although the room would look better without the "pizza" carpet!

One reason I selected this hotel was the free wifi but be aware, this does not extend as far as the end rooms of the corridor. Breakfast was far too expensive so I enjoyed a nice fry up in one of the many cafes / bistros a short drive away in Hastings town centre.

I got the room online for £54 which I thought was great value for money.

Room Tip: Beware that wifi does not extend to the furthest rooms along the corridor
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo