“Great value for money”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We decided to have a weekend away by the sea just for the hell of it. The Royal Victoria was the perfect place for that! It was great value for money (£72 per night for a suite including a buffet breakfast)! The staff were great, really friendly and fun (especially Juan at breakfast). Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I have just returned from 4 nights B&B at this hotel - how I wish we could have got into a Premier Inn instead!!! The first room we were given (214) should come with a height restriction as it has a mezzanine level where the bed and bathroom are. My husband is almost 6' and his head touched the ceiling as he walked around - let alone that he was unable to get under the shower without kneeling in the bath. When he asked they did change us to another room the following day we were moved to 310 (however, we have been overcharged for that room by £30 per night - I'm hoping that we get our refund sorted which I'm sure we will).

The room was not vacuumed the last two days, and the headboard was ripped

The waiters (Andre and the chap in the morning) in the restaurant were helpful and friendly so the review result is not reflected against them. However, not all the staff were.- we tried to get bar food and a drink - however the bar maid was very busy telling anyone and everyone it was too busy and she was told there was only meant to be 5 guests staying.

One of our party asked to speak to the manager (twice) as some food was raw and there were other issues that she wanted to address, the barmaid informed her 'he's the tall skinny chap wandering around'!!!

Non of our TVs worked properly, some days we had sound on ITV and others we didn't - there were 4 rooms between our party. Although other colleagues were staying too and they all had similar issues.

Apparently it took 90 minutes last night for desert to arrive - we had given up and gone to bed!

I can see that other visitors have been luckier then we were with their stay - I've only written good reviews before - and I hate the fact that this one cant be - but I felt I had comment on this stay

Room Tip: If you are over 5'9" do not stay in Room 214
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jane S

Travellers are raving about these Hastings hotels

Braintree
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I stayed for two nights at the Best Western Royal Victoria Hotel booked through the Best Western website, I had booked a suite at a very reasonable rate, and my expectations were modest.
My first mistake was to go through the revolving doors the wrong way I wondered why the receptionist was giving me a funny look but we all had a good laugh and I was very efficiently booked into room 211 on the second floor.
Took the lift to the room WOW a really great suite, separate sitting area nice bathroom, double sofa, 32” TV (Some channels were a bit iffy) two large sea view windows that opened to at least 4’ high you could have walked out on to the front flat roof, the room was well decorated and spotlessly clean, nice furnishings, in short you could not fault it for the price.
Excellent Wi Fi easy to connect to and fast, tea/coffee facilities a desk, and table with two chairs if you wanted to eat in your room.
Now to the dining experience which sadly stops me giving this hotel top marks, on the first night I went to the piano bar for a drink no problems there very nice, and then dinner in the restaurant, first person there and a table suitable for one right by the window was reserved, I have no problem with that unless 15 minutes later a couple came in and were offered a choice of tables one of which was the reserved table? Now I accept that I am a fat bloke who wears jeans and trainers but I spent more money in that restaurant than they both did together (I obviously did not fit the waiters consumer profile)
There is a very limited menu 4 Starters, 4 Mains and desserts No Al a Carte menu, I chose Onion and Stilton tart to start and Sirloin Steak at this point a small coach party arrived, my starter and main course were served quickly and the food was acceptable but not outstanding, I felt I was being rushed a bit so asked for a break before dessert after 10 minutes or so I ordered the cheese board.
15 minutes after this the senior waiter (In Years) came and said they had to serve the coach party’s food first my retort was how long does it take to cook cheese and biscuits? It arrived two minutes later best bit of the meal (A point to note all of the room paperwork says the restaurant opens at 7pm it in fact opens at 6.30pm) and note for the waiter not all guests like to be touched when you are trying to make a point.
Now to breakfast arrived at stated time (8am) to find the room full of the coach party and other guests (They had been given the wrong time) found my table help myself to juice, coffee and was asked what toast I would like which arrived quickly, the English breakfast is buffet style which is fine but you must keep it topped up at all times, the older waiter kept blaming the kitchen staff, not apologising and resolving the problem.
The following night (Saturday) only me and the coach party with the waiter telling them at the top of his voice that they needed to order tomorrow night’s dinner.
In conclusion a really great old building, super room’s, great price, great staff especially the reception staff, female waitresses and bar staff, will I go back Yes but I will probably eat out.

Room Tip: Get a suite its not that expensive
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my sister and we had a large twin room at the rear of the hotel. I like the hotel as it is "old school" and I love the Victorian style. I have stayed here a few times as it's very reasonably priced and I do recommend it especially for it's great location on the seafront at St Leonards and the fact that it is quiet. My sister and i are both poor sleepers but we had a warm and comfortable night. The parking at the front is very handy but there is also free parking in the roads to the rear. I'm afraid that I don't recommend the brekkie but there are quite a few cafe's near by catering for every need.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
huntingdon
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We had a bedroom, bathroom and sitting room, and they were very comfortable. Recommended by us !!! Although the hotel is on the sea front, our room was at the back looking up the hill. But we had a lovely walk along the beach and for once it didn't rain, nice staff, very good breakfast and Manuel the waiter was superb, excellent service. Please note there are only 6 car parking spaces, these are at the front of hotel, hence we had to park up the hill at the back on a street.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

This is a fantastic hotel great for a weekend away i paid 45 pound for 1 night and it was great.

The staff are really helpful and polite.

The room was really lovely it was great big room with a double bed and soft pillows ,and plenty of towels, and comperlentary tea .

There is only 6 parking spaces out the front but i found spaces behind the hotel just on the road loads of room and no yellow lines.

The only downfall is the drinks were really dear 4 pound for a vodka and coke.

Otherwise great pkace for a weekend away would defo go again

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We have stayed at this hotel more times than I can remember over the last few years and have seen it through bad times and better days. Our most recent stay was at the beginning of September in warm, sunny weather. In our experience the staff here are welcoming, polite and helpful. I believe the seaview rooms are the largest in any hotel along this part of the south coast - generally you get a bedroom with en-suite bathroom AND a separate lounge or seating area AND (best of all) there's a fridge in every room. Free wi-fi too. There has been recent investment in upgrading TVs, kettles, hairdryers and bathroom plumbing, making the rooms very comfortable and restful. Decor is easy on the eye throughout the hotel. Heating is highly efficient and much appreciated during winter stays.
Breakfast can be interesting, especially if Juan (John) is on duty. He keeps the whole dining room entertained single-handed. On some days breakfast a buffet and on other days food is cooked to order. Porridge is always good; croissants a little under-done and sausages come in armour-plated skins. And I really don't know what they do to the toast! It's consistently damp and floppy.
Limited off-street car-parking is available on the hotel's forecourt; otherwise it's a matter of finding a space along the Promenade or in the streets at the back of the building.
The hotel could be described as eccentric, old-fashioned, past its best ....... but we wouldn't stay anywhere else in this area. It has everything - except a decent toaster!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple