“A night not to remember”

BEST WESTERN Royal Victoria Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“A night not to remember”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We arrived on 31 Oct 12. The room was tremendous, spacious and had a great sea view. However, the TV, which was more suited to a museum, had very limited reception. I rang reception, 2.30pm, and asked if anything could be done. According to the receptionist, the hotel TV reception was dependent on which room you occupied. The impression given was this was not a new issue but an ongoing none. On the way to the bar at 5.30pm I enquired at reception again to see if anything could be done about the TV. The receptionist, a different one from the first, stated that the current weather, rain and wind, was adversely affecting hotel TV reception. The receptionist went on to state that their mobile broadband was also being affected. He informed the oncoming duty receptionist of the problem.

We ordered 2 bar meals. When mine arrived it had been cremated (beef burger) – it had been cooked beyond recognition. Additionally there was no salad. The meal was incomplete. I returned the meal to the bar and the meal was taken away. A replacement arrived and was satisfactory.

Additionally, there was no heating of any description in the restaurant or bar area. We had to dine with our jackets/top coats on.

We returned to our room at 7.00pm. There was no water. I rang reception to be informed that the matter was in hand and hopefully restoration of the water would not take too long. I am not sure how too long is measured but when we departed the hotel at 8.30am the following day there was still no water! Over 12 hours. Unable to flush toilets, no water for kettle, unable to wash!

I complained to the deputy manager when departing and a refund of the room cost was offered and accepted.

We have stayed at the Royal Victoria before and felt pampered and well looked after – on this occasion everything fell terribly short of what we expect from the Royal Victoria and Best Western.

Room Tip: Most rooms are large especially those with a sea view.
1 Thank Dave H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

Parts of the hotel have a lingering feel of grandure but there is no doubt the old girl has seen better days. I'm not averse to the colour pink but too many walls have been covered in it and in places it clashes horribly with the decor. There is no doubt however, that our two night stay was very good value. The breakfast buffet was first rate and the scrambled eggs perfect. The room was large and comfortable, if a little worn, and the staff were always obliging and cheerful. We would certainly consider staying again the next time we visit Hastings.

2 Thank LondonStroller
Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

I booked this hotel at the last minute, so wasn't sure what to expect. However I was really happy with my stay. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and the public areas were quite grand! My room was big enough for a football match, and the view over the sea was outstanding! Everything was very clean, and the bed was really comfortable. The shower looked unpromising but worked well. It was lovely to be able to open the window and hear the sea at night. Overall I felt like a princess and will definitely book this hotel again - great value for faded grandeur.Even parking was easily available, and free! I didn't have breakfast, which at £9.95 seemed pricey, but there are loads of quirky eateries nearby in Norman Road.

Room Tip: I would imagine that any room with a sea view would be nice - mine was on the fourth floor so high e...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

We decided to have a weekend away by the sea just for the hell of it. The Royal Victoria was the perfect place for that! It was great value for money (£72 per night for a suite including a buffet breakfast)! The staff were great, really friendly and fun (especially Juan at breakfast). Highly recommended!

Swindon, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

I have just returned from 4 nights B&B at this hotel - how I wish we could have got into a Premier Inn instead!!! The first room we were given (214) should come with a height restriction as it has a mezzanine level where the bed and bathroom are. My husband is almost 6' and his head touched the ceiling as he walked around - let alone that he was unable to get under the shower without kneeling in the bath. When he asked they did change us to another room the following day we were moved to 310 (however, we have been overcharged for that room by £30 per night - I'm hoping that we get our refund sorted which I'm sure we will).

The room was not vacuumed the last two days, and the headboard was ripped

The waiters (Andre and the chap in the morning) in the restaurant were helpful and friendly so the review result is not reflected against them. However, not all the staff were.- we tried to get bar food and a drink - however the bar maid was very busy telling anyone and everyone it was too busy and she was told there was only meant to be 5 guests staying.

One of our party asked to speak to the manager (twice) as some food was raw and there were other issues that she wanted to address, the barmaid informed her 'he's the tall skinny chap wandering around'!!!

Non of our TVs worked properly, some days we had sound on ITV and others we didn't - there were 4 rooms between our party. Although other colleagues were staying too and they all had similar issues.

Apparently it took 90 minutes last night for desert to arrive - we had given up and gone to bed!

I can see that other visitors have been luckier then we were with their stay - I've only written good reviews before - and I hate the fact that this one cant be - but I felt I had comment on this stay

Room Tip: If you are over 5'9" do not stay in Room 214
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jane S

Travellers are raving about these Hastings hotels

Braintree
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

I stayed for two nights at the Best Western Royal Victoria Hotel booked through the Best Western website, I had booked a suite at a very reasonable rate, and my expectations were modest.
My first mistake was to go through the revolving doors the wrong way I wondered why the receptionist was giving me a funny look but we all had a good laugh and I was very efficiently booked into room 211 on the second floor.
Took the lift to the room WOW a really great suite, separate sitting area nice bathroom, double sofa, 32” TV (Some channels were a bit iffy) two large sea view windows that opened to at least 4’ high you could have walked out on to the front flat roof, the room was well decorated and spotlessly clean, nice furnishings, in short you could not fault it for the price.
Excellent Wi Fi easy to connect to and fast, tea/coffee facilities a desk, and table with two chairs if you wanted to eat in your room.
Now to the dining experience which sadly stops me giving this hotel top marks, on the first night I went to the piano bar for a drink no problems there very nice, and then dinner in the restaurant, first person there and a table suitable for one right by the window was reserved, I have no problem with that unless 15 minutes later a couple came in and were offered a choice of tables one of which was the reserved table? Now I accept that I am a fat bloke who wears jeans and trainers but I spent more money in that restaurant than they both did together (I obviously did not fit the waiters consumer profile)
There is a very limited menu 4 Starters, 4 Mains and desserts No Al a Carte menu, I chose Onion and Stilton tart to start and Sirloin Steak at this point a small coach party arrived, my starter and main course were served quickly and the food was acceptable but not outstanding, I felt I was being rushed a bit so asked for a break before dessert after 10 minutes or so I ordered the cheese board.
15 minutes after this the senior waiter (In Years) came and said they had to serve the coach party’s food first my retort was how long does it take to cook cheese and biscuits? It arrived two minutes later best bit of the meal (A point to note all of the room paperwork says the restaurant opens at 7pm it in fact opens at 6.30pm) and note for the waiter not all guests like to be touched when you are trying to make a point.
Now to breakfast arrived at stated time (8am) to find the room full of the coach party and other guests (They had been given the wrong time) found my table help myself to juice, coffee and was asked what toast I would like which arrived quickly, the English breakfast is buffet style which is fine but you must keep it topped up at all times, the older waiter kept blaming the kitchen staff, not apologising and resolving the problem.
The following night (Saturday) only me and the coach party with the waiter telling them at the top of his voice that they needed to order tomorrow night’s dinner.
In conclusion a really great old building, super room’s, great price, great staff especially the reception staff, female waitresses and bar staff, will I go back Yes but I will probably eat out.

Room Tip: Get a suite its not that expensive
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my sister and we had a large twin room at the rear of the hotel. I like the hotel as it is "old school" and I love the Victorian style. I have stayed here a few times as it's very reasonably priced and I do recommend it especially for it's great location on the seafront at St Leonards and the fact that it is quiet. My sister and i are both poor sleepers but we had a warm and comfortable night. The parking at the front is very handy but there is also free parking in the roads to the rear. I'm afraid that I don't recommend the brekkie but there are quite a few cafe's near by catering for every need.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family