“The Best Western Royal Victoria Hotel St Leonards On Sea East Sussex UK”

Royal Victoria Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed the 20th-22nd of October 2013. We were in room 506 not a sea view which we didn't mind. The room was very big in fact it was a suite and was very comfortable,lots of hot water and a very comfortable bed .We ate in the hotel on the first night and paid 17.50 pounds each for a two course meal which was very tasty with decent portions:).The hotel is situated centrally and is a short car/bus ride into Hastings.
We will be staying again in the near future.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank harvey47
There are newer reviews for Royal Victoria Hotel

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I drove from Lancashire and on my long drive I booked this hotel over the phone. The young man who booked me in took my card details to reserve my room, and I told him I'd get there near midnight and would be tired. I arrived about 11-45pm to be greeted by 2 people on the desk who didn't seem to know what they were doing. They could not find my booking, but more weird was silence from them. I waited at reception for about 15-20 minutes and kept asking them if they had found my booking, only to get a flat "no". In the end I insisted this was dealt with in the morning and that I was allowed to go to my room. They took payment off my card (before I had seen my room!) and off I went through a tired and very dated hotel with tacky furniture, tired decor and plastic flower bouquets! (Think of the shining but not as nice)
I got to my room and on entering became immediately aware that this room was filthy, with a dirty, tired carpet from the 80's in the room, an old box television that was not fully functional, and a bed that not only should have been replaced years previously, but the bed linen was a cotton sheet with a dirty, smelly, itchy woolen blanket on top (no quilt or duvet). What was very strange was that there were light bulbs not working and the room was an even more depressing place for it! I the looked for the bathroom to find it was down a small set of stairs, again covered in dirty, dated carpet. The bathroom was filthy! The smell of stale urine was overpowering and the bath, sink, and toilet were a disgrace! If I had not already paid for my room on check in I would have left in the middle of the night and gone to another hotel, but more the fool me for being talked into paying before viewing my room! After a bad nights sleep I went to breakfast which was terrible. From the breakfast display you got the impression the staff really could not be bothered. Very poor! I ordered smoked haddock and poached eggs, and when it came it was disgusting I asked for lightly done eggs-they were hard boiled and grey looking. The haddock was microwaved from frozen an was like rubber! The waiting on staff gave you the impression they really didn't want to be bothered so I just left without eating my breakfast. I called the hotel manager after leaving to complain, and he offered to 'make it up to me when I was next in the area'. I told him that unless there was a total overhaul on this hotel I would not consider reliving such an experience, and that a refund would be more appropriate. He told me he would speak to the owner and get back to me, but after 2 days of silence I called him again. He told me he had yet to speak to the owner! It has been over 3 weeks now and still no call! I would strongly advise not to consider a stay at this hell hole, and instead try the best western in Eastbourne, which I checked into the next day. I was told by a member of staff who shall remain anonymous that the royal Victoria in Hastings had come under investigation more than once in the past and that they regularly got disgruntled customers staying with them who had checked out of the royal Vic! All in all I can honestly say the royal Victoria in Hastings is one of, if not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, and I live out of a suitcase 4 days a week!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank hotel_raconteur
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We've stayed here a few times now and have never been disappointed. It's a wonderful old hotel and the rooms are nicely decorated to match. Yes a few things are a bit tired here and there but for the price and sea-side location you can't ask for better value than this. Only complaint is the beds are a bit firm.

1  Thank marct
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The new thing in this hotel is wifi. The TV is the same as the one I had 20 years ago. On the up side attentive staff rooms are clean, if dated, and tidy.
Plenty of park on site and in adjoining roads behind, situated on the front with bar and restaurant on the first floor, give great views while dinning or drinking. Very much set in the Victorian era and style, prices are reflective of this.

Room Tip: Ask for lower floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is a lovely hotel, the outside and main public areas especially the staircases have the "wow" factor. The room was nicely decorated and the staff were friendly. It's in a great location with historic St Leonards as built as a new town in the early nineteenth century by the Burtons (also responsible for Tunbridge Wells and the Palm House at Kew Gardens) immediately behind it and Hastings old town a vigorous walk or short taxi ride away. Has the historic dimension as Victoria, Albert, George V, Lord Palmerston etc. have all stayed here. Don't believe everything you hear about St Leonards, this part is historic and well cared for. There is, of course, a road outside as it's on the seafront but not unduly noisy and beach and sea are just across from the hotel. A lovely stay!

Room Tip: Suites on first floor are good, higher floors would have a better view.
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This is a fine building - with other buildings of 'Burton's St Leonards' around it. More could be made of its illustrious past and context as this would surely make it more attractive to visitors with an interest in history. It could also be substantially improved with more obviously 'historic' colours in the corridors and plastic daffodils done away with!
We found our deluxe suite to be very spacious, comfortable, well furnished and clean. We didn't notice noise from the 'very ..noisy road' outside - and we were on the first floor. Higher floors would be even less aware. It was altogether a more pleasurable experience than I had expected given some of the other reviews.

Room Tip: Higher floors would have a better view of the sea. First floor seaview rooms look out on to the roo...
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Nice location within walking distance of Hastings town, on site parking very limited. Room clean and decorated in keeping with age of the building (expect a few creaking floor boards) beds could do with upgrading. Breakfast reasonable, nice views out to sea. Staff pleasant and most helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB