“Our weekend in Hastings” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Royal Victoria Hotel

BEST WESTERN Royal Victoria Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
London, United Kingdom
“Our weekend in Hastings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We needed a hotel within walking distance of a church in Hastings when attending a concert. The Royal Victoria met this requirement and was clean, comfortable and with excellent breakfast and interesting historical atmosphere. However the receptionist though trying to be helpful was a bit dozy and ignorant: had to be pushed to find out about our not-so-special requirement for breakfast (fish option) and was totally ignorant about the distance to a well-known local restaurant - told us 10 minutes' walk but was over one hour ! Likewise was wildly misleading re. local parking which is extremely limited.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Having stayed in this la grande dame hotel 20 years ago, I could say that it had not changed much.
The grand stairway with marble columns were still there. The smell of food in the corridor reminded me of good boarding school days.
Booked a suite with seaview for £72 per night, must be the best bargain I ever had!
I was given a duplex suite on the second floor with front seaview -- nice to be able to sit on the "balcony" enjoying the sun and sea. However it was not convenient to walk up and down the spiral staircase to the mezzaine bedroom area which is only 6 feet high. And I could not stand upright to have a shower in the bathtub as the toilet lacked height.
The bedroom walls did not have much noise insulation. I could hear two women talking loudly in the room on one side, and dog barking on the other side, also guests walking on the squeaky floor above me. With traffic noise on top, you could imagine what my sleep was like!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hastings, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Staff gave us a wonderful day and really can not fault the food, I would highly recommend this venue for their wedding the organisation was excellent and found they really listened to what you wanted for your wedding.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have been staying at the Royal Victoria Hotel Hastings on a regular basis over the last 2 months. The hotel is extremely oldie, oldie like going back in time. The Décor is amazing, it can be somewhat windy in some sea facing rooms but that is not an every stay experience.

The highlight of my experience is when I am eating in the restaurant and being attended to by Juan, I am from Barcelona. This gentleman is an example of the best customer service and care I have ever experienced in my life and I'm on a young 58 year old.

Service with a smile, light conversation and customer care beyond belief. He is so attentive it's a pleasure when he's working.

I had some guests with me last week and every one of them commented on his amazing attention to customers. He also made us roar with laughter, when I asked if he had been away as I had seen him last week. His rely was so funny that I have to share it with you. "Hello Juan have you been away?

Yes I have been to Bath, not so good weather very nice place with very nice buildings, very nice time, I am under the thumb"

Well, my guest and I absolutely laughed so much, we were crying.

If you could use this man to train others or you could clone him, you would have an experience in any hotel he would be working in, that would amaze any guest. He is amazing. A credit to Great Western but do you realise how good he is and does he get enough recognition for his extremely high customer service levels?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

A grand old building with many original features kept or restored. Façade looked great and many of the public rooms were still traditional, comfortable and charming. Lovely staircase and functional lifts.Worth a walk through these areas to soak up some history
We had a seaview room with a lounge. Excellent accommodation (but see tip below). Great outlook over the sea and surprisingly quiet in spite of being on the Marina Drive. Felt that it was worth paying extra for the view. Good bathroom and great breakfast.
Had dinner in and the food and service was excellent at a reasonable price. Excellent and very helpful host.
Limited parking but we did not have a problem.

Room Tip: We were given a suite with a downstairs lounge and an upstairs bedroom - accessed via a spiral stair...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Customer service was amazing staff couldn't do enough to help. The receptionist was extremely helpful and pleasant when we checked in. She took time to explain without me asking the reason for busy reception area which was due to a departing coach party. Her customer service was excellent. We checked in at 2pm on Sunday 27/10/13 and stayed one night. The room was lovely with a separate side dressing room. Beds really comfortable room very clean and warm. We had a sea view room room 412 and had a fantastic view of the great storm in the sea and waves crashing on the beach.
The waiter who attended to us at our table for dinner on the sunday evening was everything you could wish for. Patient with my child ordering his dinner very engaging member of staff. Dinner was lovely and breakfast was too. The bar area and dining room have sea views. So relaxing and lovely background music too. The charm of this hotel is one of the things that keeps repeat custom. The decorating and style of furnishings were very eye catching. A great stay and will return again to stay for longer.

Stayed October 2013
East Sussex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Royal Victoria Hotel was designed by James Burton as part of his Regency planning for St Leonards, Hastings. The neo Classical terraces along the sea front still exist today.
Although the Hotel is rather dated, the interior is still resplendent and the Dining Room and Piano Bar are real reminders of how life must have been back in the 1800's.
We had a sea front room with a comfortable king size bed and bath/shower. Although the rough waves disturbed us a little during the night the Hotel was so convenient for walking into the town centre and all the history of Hastings.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple