“Lovely sea view & excellent service”

BEST WESTERN Royal Victoria Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely sea view & excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2009

We stayed here for two nights in Feb 09, we managed to get a special deal on the room and a free upgrade. We had a superior sea view room, ok so it was a little dated but it was very clean and the sea view was excellent. The hotel has some lovely architectural features and has an oldy worldy feel to it, so if you want modern and trendy don't stay here.
We had dinner in the restaurant both nights and we were very impressed with the service and the food was excellent. The lovely full english for breakfast set us up for the day and again the service was very good.
We throughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back.
We also stayed one night in a boutique B&B but the Royal Victoria was much better overall in comparison.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2009

We held our Company Party there in January, the rooms were sumptuous, most of us had suites, lovely Regency architecture and on a grand scale overlooking the sea. This is in St Leonard's, not Hastings. I really don't understand the negative reviews stated here. We had an excellent dinner, very well organised, lots of choices. Band in separate room with dance floor, which suited everyone as you could stay talking around the bar and dining room or go and dance. We all had a very good time and couldn't fault it at all. Go there and see for yourselves.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Nizzle
Loughton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

It is a perfectly pleasant hotel in a faded kind of a way. The room was clean and spacious but lacked bedside lamps and wasn't particularly cosy. Bathroom needs a remodel and seemed old-fashioned. The carpets and furnishings made me feel I was staying with my granny. The breakfast was fine if nothing special. The public rooms were a bit shabby and dated. The exterior and lobby are quite grand and early 19th century but just seem faded and shabby. The corridors are wide and everso slightly creepy...they reminded me of the pedal care scene in the Shining! The staff are fine but not overly helpful. Our room key was disconnected twice in one day which was annoying as we had to go downstairs in the slow lift to sort it out. The location is fine for St Leonards and the interesting Burton area behind the hotel and also for the sea, but it is a LONG walk to Hastings and the old town. Parking was quite easy.

• Liked — Historical
  • Disliked — Dated
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndyWildman
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

To give some context to this review, I booked this hotel on Best Western's 30th Birthday Promotion Offer. For a minimum 2 night stay, we paid just £30 per night (per room, not per person).

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Royal Victoria Hotel recently as we were attending a wedding near Battle.

The first thing to note is that St Leonards itself is pretty rough and ready. The nicer part of Hastings (the Old Town) is about a mile and half east of the hotel and the area around the hotel is not particularly appealing. The exterior of the hotel very much matches its surroundings; it is tired and run-down and in urgent need of some care and attention.

Inside, appearances aren't much better. The reception area is dark and dingy and the common areas of the hotel are a bit shabby and very much require updating. The inner corridors smelt a bit funny - sort of like an old person's house (if you know what I mean.)

We had a room on the 4th floor and were given, as we requested, a fine sea view. The room was clean and warm, but the furniture and fittings were again a bit shabby and in need of replacing (curtains had a massive tear in them, some evidence of damp in the room corners, old furniture, ropey looking blankets etc). The bathroom was pretty good though, large and fairly nicely decorated with a good shower (with plenty of hot water).

The Breakfast Room on the first floor is a nice space with some fine views of the sea. It was a fine place to enjoy breakfast when the sun is shining. The man in charge of Breakfast Service was a very friendly and slightly eccentric Italian man who knows very well how to manage a team serving breakfast. As such, the breakfast was served efficiently and it was pretty good - a full English breakfast buffet (including Black Pudding - hooray!) and plenty of toast, cereals, fruit, cheeses and meats.

In terms of service offered, the Royal Victoria is above average. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the staff in the Breakfast Room were hard-working, friendly and efficient.

On the downside, it was desperately shabby and in need of refurbishment.

All in all, it was a reasonable stay, and good value for £30 a night. Whether it is worth the price of the Standard Room rate is another matter.

• Liked — Breakfast Room (with Breakfast Buffet)
  • Disliked — Decoration (inside and out)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Lenski
Sitges, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2008

I had the terrible misfortune of staying in this nightmare of hotel last night. After a days hot travelling I tried to run a bath and after I had wasted a huge quantity of water waiting for it to heat up, I eventually called reception to be told that the entire hotel had none and a plumber had been called. I was extremely irritated that no one had bothered to let me know, and I suspect that they took my booking knowing there was a problem, as I had only booked the room en route an hour or so before. The reaction I experienced from reception was nonchelant and dismissive, which again added to my frustration.

No plumber arrived and I ended up having a freezing shower in the evening, and in the morning.

Not only this but due to my bed being so old and uncomfortable , & well past its sell -by- date. ( I am not even going to mention the colour of the fabric headboard) and the curtains being too small for the windows to keep the light out, I actually gave up trying to get any sleep at all by 4.00am. I did consider trying to swap rooms but there was no staff to be found anywhere at 1.30am and the reception was pitch black and locked up.

Knowing I was going to be spending the day in a hospital, supporting my daughter who had found out the day before her baby had died in her womb, I could have really done with what this hotel said it would provide for me, and that was a place to rest. Instead it made the entire day a whole lot worse.

This once grand hotel is being left to rot by management who are squeezing every bit of profit out of it at the expense of paying guests! Be warned.

• Liked — Leaving it.
  • Disliked — No hot water and the horrific bed and over washed sheets and blankets.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Diggerj

Travellers are raving about these Hastings hotels

Surrey, UK.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2008

We booked by telephone and confirmed by email; this all worked fine. If you want a sea-front room, you need to ask for that, and they are more expensive. There are pros and cons to this choice - see below.

The hotel in located directly on the seafront at St Leonard's-on-Sea, and this in turn is about 1-1/2 miles west of Hastings Old Town. It stands directly on the sea-front road, which is a busy A-road. There is a well-constructed promenade all the way along the front, so you can walk to Hastings no problem. The hotel has a good appearance from the street - not perfect, but better than I'd expected. The hotel has offstreet (just) parking for only 6 cars, but there appears to be plenty of street parking, also on the front.

We arrived at 12.45pm and were advised our room was not available until 2pm. Although we waited in the lobby, in view of reception, we did not indeed receive our keys until 2pm, precisely. Well, this can happen, but, hmm.... The room might not have been ready, but I'm quite sure no attempt was made to find if it may have been made up early. 2pm is 2pm, apparently. These little things can rather annoy....

The room itself, #402, was really very nice indeed. A twin-bedded, sea-view, room, it was large, bright and airy, with a small annexe, plus bathroom suite. Obviously, it had a brilliant, direct, sea view. We found it very comfortable, the only complaint being the ubiquitous squeaky floors & flakey-paint windows you always seem to get in this genre of hotels. Every step a creak!

It had tea/coffee facilities, a fridge and tv. It was not air-conditioned and this could be a factor in the height of summer as the sea-view rooms face south.

These sea-view rooms do, however, face the road in front. This is a very busy road, so the rooms are affected by traffic noise, not mitigated by, say, any double-glazing (the windows are original, I'd say). If you are a light sleeper, then I'm afraid you had better forgo the sea view and stay on the rear side of the hotel, because otherwise the traffic noise is significant.

We thought the public rooms were nice - large, comfortable and in a good state of decoration (except, again, those flakey-paint windows!). We enjoyed our drink in the bar, and we also enjoyed our meal in the restaurant - a nice 3-course set menu for £19.50, although it's cheaper than this if you take half-board, as we did.

We enjoyed our stay at the Royal Victoria (once we managed to get in!). This was helped by the weather being marvellously calm and sunny, perfect for a sea-front stay. We thought it was very good value.

• Liked — Location, excellent room, meal, overall value.
  • Disliked — Strict adherence to earliest checkin time; traffic noise on sea side.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2007

We found ourselves at The Royal Victoria in Christmas Party season; the weather was appalling for a weekend away. With a wonderful suite overlooking the gusting, stormy sea, with staff who couldn't do enough to help in anything we wanted, with the amazing Regency central stairway it was absolutely wonderful to be there.
The downside - well the meal we had on our first evening was mediocre catering food and we felt it was an insult to offer such fodder to guests, what made this meal bearable was Andre, the Belgian waiter, who did everything in his power to make it a special evening for us and even roped in the other waiters to bring in a little birthday treat for me.
It was good to see how busy the Hotel was and we found that Hastings and St Leonards have many fine restaurants; we discovered the Gap Turkish restaurant neear Debenhams and had a fine meal. The Tourist office was happy to advise.
The Hotel provides a personal service but needs to get a new chef - one who knows how to cook food, rather than open packets
Yes we would consider going there again

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple