“One on the worst places I have stayed in”
Review of Lansdowne

Lansdowne
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

Originally I booked a single sea view room for 2nights, £40 per night. I didn't pay for the optional breakfast at £7.50 as I thought this was a bit steep. I rang the same day as I booked online to upgrade the room to a double as my partner was able to join me for the weekend. I was told the only room left was a "compact double" with no sea view for £70 per night which seemed reasonable at short notice. Prior to my booking I had looked at their website and the Trip Advisor reviews and assumed the hotel to be a good choice.

On arrival the exterior looked tired and grubby, no flowers like the website. I was told by the receptionist I had to pay upfront the £100 balance (pls note I had already paid £40 deposit online with the booking) before we'd even seen/ been to our room. We were given a key and told where to go. He (the receptionist) told us nothing about the layout/ facilities of the hotel and seemed disinterested.

The lift was to say the least was tiny and looked to be on its last legs. Being 31 weeks pregnant I was reluctant to get in it but we didn't want to carry our bags up the stairs. The room we were given was absolutely awful, it had a large gap on the front door so people could see in, the ceiling comprised of dirty (some broken) polystyrene tiles of which you would find in an office. There were holes in the ceiling and surface trunking all over the walls to switches. The bathroom water had no pressure, was dirty and it took about 5minutes for the main light to come on. The view from the window was of a roof terrace tip, rubbish and junk, the windows were dirty too. I only wish I had taken pictures of this room but we were so utterly appalled we immediately went back to the receptionist to complain. It was hideous and looked to be unsafe.

Eventually we were told we could stay in another room, a "double room with a balcony and sea view" though only for one night as it was already booked out. This room at first glance was better (but as in my photos) there was no wardrobe just a rail, droplets missing off of the wall light, no telephone as the telephone socket had been damaged (dangerous) one cup, one set of towels, the curtains were two sewn together to make one long curtain, the balcony was small and grotty with a rusty blue chair (covered in bird poo) there was no key for the balcony door (left unlocked) the bathroom lights were not fixed properly, the fan was noisy and dirty, the tiling behind the bathroom door incomplete, something (?) sprayed up the bathroom wall, the shower was dirty, we had trouble getting the plug out of the sink and by the bed what looked to be a damp patch in the making. You could only get into the bed from one side too. This room was not a double and the balcony was tiny.

Being late and exhausted we stayed in this room, luckily the sheets and towels looked clean.
In the morning after much "debate" we managed to get £70 back and after speaking with the Information Centre found a lovely B&B to stay at which was cheaper, cleaner, friendlier and just a million miles better.

We were told by the Lansdowne that they are in fact a guest house although most of their literature and sign states hotel. And the rooms look nothing like their website. Don't be fooled.

We found the staff to be uninterested, the hotel to be in need of some serious investment. I'd love to know what the Hotel Inspector would make of this one?? Especially as the carpet on the stairs wasn't even fixed and was in fact a trip hazard with grips and underlay exposed.

One of the, if not the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. Save you money and stay at a local B&B, better service, safer and better value.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank EmmyB79
There are newer reviews for Lansdowne

Reviewed 17 May 2013

My wife and I booked a last minute night away at the Lansdowne and weren't expecting too much ,as the room was very reasonably priced for a refurbished double with a seaview
However,we were pleasantly surprised.,The staff were very polite and helpful,the room was nice,with a great view and very clean. Parts of the hotel are a little shabby,but refurbishment ai ongoing. There is also a secure overnight car park opposite for £7 for 24 hours, which we thought was very good, we realy enjoyed our stay ,and checked out after enjoying a realy nice breakfast. would definitely stay again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Very friendly owners/staff, very welcoming. Didn't get a seaview as they were fully booked but nevertheless had a nice room, although it would help if there was a black out curtain on the door (#9) as the light from landing kept me awake and the room was really hot in the night even with the window open, so some aircon would have been a bonus. The room was clean and fresh, very spacious bathroom with a good shower. Very good breakfast with plenty of choice but smaller tables would be better than having to share with people you don't know. £10 for late checkout was also great. Would go back.

Room Tip: room 9 is noisy with the window open as near bar/pub area
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Lansdowne in early April 2013. We arrived with a few heavy suitcases and right away the staff member at the front desk helped us up to our rooms with them. They have payed parking on the street out side the hotel but we opted to pay a 24hr parking fee in the underground parking lot across the street, it was 7 pounds a day. The breakfast times I thought were too early for us, I believe they were from 7:30am to 9am so we ate at the Debenhams cafe next door which had good food and not to expensive. Our room number was 11, it had a lovely sea view and a seagull that would visit us every morning. Room came equipped with a fridge, kettle for coffee and tea, T.V. and free WiFi. The bed was comfy and the room was clean. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back when we are in the area.

Room Tip: Room 11 was a great sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I only paid £35 for one night so I wasn't expecting much. My room was clean with a nice bathroom and brilliant location, being right on the sea front. The staff were helpful and friendly, but the only issue I have is this is not a 4 star hotel. But if you are looking for clean affordable accomodation in Hastings with a perfect location the this is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank teebee1984
thelansdowne, Owner at Lansdowne, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay at the Lansdowne Hotel. We are committed to providing excellent service to our guests and any appreciation goes a long way in motivating our team.

Please note that The Lansdowne is not a 4 star Hotel but is classified and rated by Visit England (the English Tourist Board) as a 4**** Guest Accommodation. Unfortunately we do not have in Hastings 4**** Hotel yet but you can enjoy your stay in one of a very high standard 5 and 4 stars B&Bs and Guest Accommodations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at the Lansdowne.

Regards
Management

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Stayed here during the recent half term holidays for 5 days and 4 nights. Our room was on the 4th floor with great views of the sea.
The location is superb.
Cut through Debenhams which is only around 50 metres away and you can end up in Hastings town centre.
Breakfast each morning was piping hot and they would cook what you wanted.
Service levels were excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
If you are up on the 3rd or 4th floor use the lift ( behind the bar ). It is a very small lift though so you may need to make a few journeys !
They were doing a lot of refurbishment when we stayed but as we were out all day it did not concern .
The rooms were spotlessly clean each day.
For the money we paid it was a good choice and if we come back to Hastings would stay here again .

Room Tip: The lift is behind the bar opposite room 1 or 2 . 429 had excellent sea views
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review about your recent stay at the Lansdowne Hotel. We are committed to providing excellent service to our guests and any appreciation goes a long way in motivating our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at the Lansdowne Hotel.

Best Regards,
Mr and Mrs Cheema
proprietors

Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

We just stayed the one night, the room would not have been out of place in a top hotel. It looks like they are refurbishing so I am not sure every room will be to the same standard. We paid £65.00 for room only, quite expensive for a B&B in March. Great views from our window, not so much from our bedroom door.

• Stayed: March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Royal Victoria Hotel
Zanzibar International Hotel Hastings
George Hotel
George Hotel
#5 of 5 in Battle

Been to Lansdowne? Share your experiences!