“Lovely Weekend”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Lovely Weekend”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Booked through Hotels.com. A lovely stay, room very clean and comfortable. The sea view was great and the room bright with plenty of space and a lovely shower. Only a short walk to the Old town with lovely pubs and restaurants and all the other amenities. Have stayed there before and would do so again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank phoebe1699

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Booked through a late booking website I paid very little. The view was worth that alone. Bed was spotless as was the shower. Parking is free overnight but you would need a mortgage for day time.
Strange experience but a great business stopover..... would not choose it for much longer. See all the other comments about MDF and The Shining.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank nettlebed6
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We spent a lovely weekend in the Lansdowne for the Beer & Music Festival. Our room was ready on arrival and what a lovely room. We had a seaview balcony room which was very clean and bright. The bathroom was great with a walk in shower. The breakfast was delicious. All in all a great weekend!

Room Tip: Book the seaview balcony room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DIANE C
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed over the weekend. We had a double room with a see view which was very picturesque, we were very lucky with the weather with non stop sunshine, the room was comfortable, a good size with all the essentials and a spacious bathroom with shower. The service was very good, the breakfasts was very nice, buffet style plus a cooked selection including both English and continental choices. It is very well positioned right on the edge of the town so an easy walk to the shops and a large selection of eateries. There is an underground car park right outside which is £7 for 24 hrs although locked between 11pm and 7am, there is also limited street parking in front of the hotel from 6pm to 9am. There is a lift which is very small and slow but adequate.
We enjoyed our stay very much and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rob E
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I booked this hotel online for a two night stay paying a total of £92.00 (including breakfast which was £12.) Having never visited Hastings, I did my 'research' (or so I thought.) The hotel website states it has a 4 star visit England rating, free wi-fi, is in a sought after seafront location, newly installed lift and also merits 4 stars on the front of its building etc. It had to be good right?!

I was solo, and therefore booked a single room. On arrival I have to say that all the staff that I met were very helpful and friendly. I had been on the road since 6am that day, and checked in approx 615pm. Therefore I was very tired, and keen to check in quickly, venture out to grab a quick bite to eat before crashing back at the hotel. I couldn’t help but admire the boarded up windows to the front of the hotel and general 'feel' of the area prior to my check-in.

Please also note at this point - parking is expensive and is located in the local underground car-park - which is locked overnight.

The hotel is rather hickledy pickledy, with various staircases leading to various corridors. The 'newly installed lift' was something out of Stephen Kings The Shining. Only myself and a small bag could fit in it (I am a hobbit), and every time it approached a floor the light in the lift would go out and make a freaky sound. It was so slow that I decided to use the stairs from this point on.

The door to the room did not fit properly, and despite having a 'do not disturb' sign available, there was nowhere on the external side of the door to hang it on, and therefore useless. The smell of the room was like one of a poorly run nursing home, it had a smell that offended my olfactory system. It was musty, sweet and stale all at the same time - Shake & Vac springs to mind! (The carpets were old too, which probably added to the smell.)

Immediately I admired the MDF desk which was screwed to the wall and supported by a second piece of MDF (top quality job) The cupboard was so grotty, I decided not to hang my clothes, nor make myself any refreshments with the kettle and complimentary tea/coffee.

The bed was diabolical, as the base was frayed and broken, with a mattress of equal quality (bowed and springs popping up all over the show.) Despite the pillowcase and sheet appearing to be the cleanest items in the whole room, my duvet was torn. I was going to refresh with a shower, however I decided to strip wash instead. I slept fully clothed with my socks on and listened to the man in the room next to me cough, splutter and talk foreign loudly on a phone (I am partially deaf so either he was very loud or walls thin) The local 'drinkers' also congregate on the benches out the front, and as the drinks flow disagreements would ensue. This put a downer on what was a very pleasant sea-view by all accounts.

I made alternative arrangements for the second night as I had no intentions to stay in this hotel. In the morning I had my £6.00 boiled eggs with toast breakfast, and politely informed the morning porter of my plans - who again was very a friendly man. He offered me a free upgrade to a double sea-facing room for my second night, which I declined. The manager also responded to my complaint and gave me a 50% refund, and a future booking discount should I return this year. Of course I will not be venturing here ever again.

I’ve uploaded the photos which I emailed to the manager which you may wish to look at should you be considering this establishment. My advice would be - avoid it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Hayley P

Travellers are raving about these Hastings hotels

essex
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for one night in room 2, which is on the ground floor. We can only comment on room 2. The room has no wifi coverage, smelt of urine, the bathroom is like a cave. You cannot sit on the toilet without having to lick the wall.
There is a bright light that shines into the bedroom window at night. Room 2 has NO sea view. It looks out onto a dead end room at the rear of shops, resturants and bars. On the weekend, the noise of drunken people and banging music means no sleep. At 0530 a dustbin lorry arrives to clear the rubbish from the above, again very loud. Then as you finally fall asleep, the road sweepers arrive.

This was most definatly not worth the £82 we paid plus breakfast. The hotel is surrounded by street drinkers/ drug addicts at night. They congregate on the benches opposite the hotel.

Location wise, not to bad.

Room Tip: Not room 2 if you can help it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We paid for a sea facing room. Plus:Yes, we got a big room with a great view.The staff seemed friendly enough .LOCATION WAS GOOD.nEAR RESTAURANTS AND OPPOSITE BEACH.
Minuses:The bathroom was small (a shower that had no power,and a toile,washbasin).The bed needed throwing out.My partner and I met in the middle when we laid on it .It creeked and appeared to be broken.The room albeit was clean was a strange mixture of stripey brown carpet and red curtains.Stay elsewhere.Overpriced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank queencharlie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Best Western Royal Victoria Hotel
#10 of 11 in Hastings
George Hotel
George Hotel
#5 of 5 in Battle

Been to Lansdowne? Share your experiences!