“Excellent fish and chips but this ain't no restaurant !”

Life Boat Restaurant
Ranked #103 of 388 Restaurants in Hastings
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Visiting Hastings for the first time this place was recommended to us by one of the locals. Lets get the bad bit over first - this is not a restaurant - a few tables crammed into a quarter of a chip shop does not make it a restaurant. This is a take away fish and chip shop stroke cafe at best. All that being said the staff were friendly and the fish and chips were excellent. The portions were large, tasty and delicious. A customer told us that she came down from London every Friday especially to have her fish and chips from this shop and I can believe her. I was also told that the owners have had the shop over fifty years which proves how good the food is. Bottom line is if you want to eat at a proper fish and chip restaurant go elsewhere but if you want really good fish and chips and don't mind keeping your arms in whilst eating in fear of getting your fork up your nose (as you will be sitting very very close to someone) this is the place to go. I must admit I prefer the latter every time. I gave them a tip when I paid the bill and I wish them well - I just think that it is a shame that they don't have a proper restaurant !

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were lucky to have a table as it was busy - always a good sign - and I'm glad we chose the Lighthouse. Excellent Fish and Chips, crispy batter and well made chips. It will be my first choice next time..

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just bought cod and chips, driven to the Stade car park and ate them. I've lived in Hastings all my life and eaten fish & chips everywhere and I can tell you these are as good as they get. Try them, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Best fish and chips for a long way, well worth a drive out.been loads of times and never been disappointed. Reasonable prices and fish is enormous.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

There is no shortage of places to eat in Hastings but after a day at the seaside, fish and chips has to be the first choice. The queue out of the door at the Lifeboat seemed a good indicator of freshness of fried food. There are two menus, one of takeaway and one 'eat in' and to one side of the place, there are a few small pine tables. The menu is as expected, cod, plaice and huss representing fishiness and the usual chip shop suspects making up the rest of the offer. We were shown to one of the small pine tables to one side of the room so were able to hear the orders from the rest of their customers - cod being a clear winner with plaice and saveloys vying for second place. Our meals were cooked to order but people watching provided entertainment for the 15 -20 minute wait - no problem. Service was friendly, portions generous and everything served very hot as expected. I can't say whether these are the best fish and chips in Hastings but they're going to give the others a standard to meet!