“Foul”

Black Market
Price range: US$10 - US$39
Cuisines: British, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Black market is a brand new and exciting restaurant & bar based in the heart of the old town of Hastings.Providing quality and affordable food from sizzling grilled Persian kebabs & stews, burgers, to hand made pizzas & local fish! With our huge licensed bar, cocktail bar and pool table, there is plenty to get involved with at the Black market!
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Foul”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Just brought bottle of wine here it was£18-95 for horrible warm vile wine , got my husband to take it back they didn't refund but gave us a notherequally vile wine, probably brought for under a fiver we didn't drink it , I wanted to give it to a homeless guy I saw but we thought he wouldn't thank us !

• Visited August 2014
Blackmarket-boy, Owner at Black Market, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
The bottle of wine you originally 'brought' - purchased was a South African Saam Mountain Paarl Chenin blanc which you were advised that it would require chilling for at least 10 minutes due to new stock arriving, however we refunded the £3 difference with the Conti Rossi Pinot Grigio which is a very popular option. Your husband may not have forwarded the message regarding the partial refund, so that may be why you come across so angry. I can assure you all of our wines are of high quality & the homeless guy definently wouldn't turn it down as I actually gave him a portion of cottage pie & a glass of Pinot one evening, hence why he keeps coming back

hailsham, east sussex, UK
“Great find in Hastings Old Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Came across Black Market when looking for somewhere for lunch in Hastings Old Town. What a great place! Bit apprehensive as it was quirky, night-clubby looking and I expected it to be full of trendy people. Once inside need not have worried - warm welcome received and a very mixed aged group. I love the decor, love the staff who are so frendly and efficient and just the general relaxed atmosphere. As for the food - excellent! There were three of us and we chose from the lunch menu (even on a Sunday!). We had: baguette with chips (proper home-made chips!), pasta napoli and chicken and bacon caesar salad, and, with drinks, the price was less than £20. We didn't feel rushed and there was plenty of room between tables. I love Robertson Street and love it even more now that I have found this great stop for lunch. We will definitely be back next time we are in the area.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Sue006
London, United Kingdom
“Huge portions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Visited Balack Market today.

The portions are huge, food is hot, tastes fantastic and the staff were friendly and efficient.

What more can you ask for

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Julie993
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Pimms o'clock or not!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Have been here before and food has been good.On this occassion after eating somewhere else for my friends 40th, ended up here for a late night drink. We wanted a couple of jugs of Pimms-wouldnt have thought this difficult as they pride themselves on making excellent cocktails, but no-the bar staff didnt know what to do-I thought they were joking, but went on to say they didnt know what I meant- I went on to explain how to make it and the bar manager was called over-oh what a surprise-they told me they couldnt make jugs of Pimms for us -what a joke-other customers at the bar were laughing as they couldnt believe it either! On another note, blackmarket, get staff to check the toilets throughout the day/evening as they were absolutely disgusting on so many levels-come on brighten your ideas up and get the basics right

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Chrissy E
Blackmarket-boy, Owner at Black Market, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your latest review, it means a lot to us when customers have a good experience with us, but not leave a good review on here, but the first negative experience they have, they do the 100M sprint faster than Mr Bolt himself to take a cheap shot, bless your heart.. Our Saturday nights are so hectic sometimes that it's difficult to tick all of the boxes, like many busy venues. There better ways of getting these matters resolved, I.e approaching me directly at the venue, it's a bit late for that now tho.. But I would have been able to tell you face to face that all of our jugs were in use for large parties and the new members of staff probably havn't made a jug of pimms before, hence why I am there to assist.
“best cocktails and lovely atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

gorgeous drinks .. well priced! lovely staff ... was so good we goin back tommoro 4 lunch! highy recommended :)

2 Thank Kaylee L
Blackmarket-boy, Owner at Black Market, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hi there! Thank you for your latest review, we're glad that you enjoyed your cocktails & hope to see you again soon! Remember happy hour (and a half) is 7:30-9 Thursday to Saturday :))