“Something felt missing”
Review of Harris - CLOSED

Harris
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Something felt missing”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife & I have been going to Harris's for some years where we meet up with friends. This time around something felt missing. It wasn't as busy as before and it lacked a 'feel' that it had before.

We always have a carafe or 2 of the house wine and we all a little bit surprised when it came in a basic glass jug rather than the historic earthernware jug ( not sure for the reason for the change).

The house olives are delicious and the food is ok. We both had the prawns and scallop Pil Pil which were quite tasty but came in a stone cold earthenware dish. Also it would have been nice to know that the prawns came 'on the shell' as my wife is not too keen on rafting around with de-shelling them. Our friends had the name wrapped in ham which they said was fine. My wife continued with the Zarzuela which looked and tasted very good but again it came served on a stone cold plate. My friends and I went for the chicken stir fry which was dry and rather tasteless, again served on cold plates.

The waitress could have been rather more pleasant and she could have interacted with us a bit more to make our dining experience a bit more memorable for different reasons. To say that she was going through the motions would probably sum up her approach to her job. I don't want the US style of service but it would be nice to have your waitress exhibit a little bit of interest.

Will we go back? Ummmmm, probably not.

• Visited May 2014

East Sussex
“thoroughly enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

my wife and I revisited Harris's again this month and although we are locals were a bit apprehensive because of some of the terrible recent reviews,expecially given that we have never experienced any problems when eating here previously.

We need not have been apprehensive. We were served by the waitress with the tattoos-I don't know what all the fuss is about-She was the only waitress on duty and had an inexperienced member of staff behind the bar,which meant she was waiting on ALL the tables.

She did this with a smile, recommended various dishes, accommodated people who turned up on spec and did it all with professionalism.

My wife and I have 6 tapas dishes between us and they were delicious including the Serrano ham, which was most definitiely not from LIDL's!!

We had the cheesecake and the hot churros for dessert both of which were up to standard.I also asked for a cortado, which alsways was on the menu but is no longer.However, this did not stoip the waitress making one especially for me.

I did not hear one word of complaint from any other diner that evening and would not hesitate to recommend this establishment and will revisit it again as soon as possible.

2 Thank calypsoEastSussex
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“A real surprise”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

As a lover of Spanish food, I have huge expectations of what is served up. My partner and I went for lunch here and this was a lovely surprise. We ordered the Tapas platter for two. Everything was fresh and so flavoursome. There were generous portions of each dish and each was cooked with flair and with accuracy to what you would find in the towns and cities of Andalucia. Having read some of the criticisms of this restaurant it makes me wonder if some diners understand what Tapas is. I have no criticisms at all. The staff were very busy but were all friendly, enthusiastic and attentive. You guys who write unnecessary nasty reviews, firstly be sure of your facts and also think of how you would feel if this was your business. We will certainly be visiting again and bringing friends with us. Thanks you to the staff for a lovely experience.

2 Thank Brividi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The worst restaurant in Hastings!”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I can't believe this place has any ratings over 'Poor'. We weren't recommended this place by our wonderful Air B & B host (she later told us she had been once and it was awful), however both the recommended Dragon bar, Thai Bookshop and Pomegranate were full and we were starving. Perhaps this place was good once upon a time? Now - it is terrible. TERRIBLE. The food is not particularly Spanish, and a glance into the kitchen sees the 'chefs' are all around 20 years of age. The only wine you can order is a cheap, 15 GBP bottle of 'house'. We had six plates of tapas - the prawns were certainly not local and so fishy smelling and packed with eggs I found them inedible. Patatas bravas is a classic I usually love - this was mundane, sad looking potato in a dull tomato sauce. The serrano ham was flopped onto a plate from a Lidl packet. Everything was flat, presented badly, lacking in flavour and unfortunately not fresh. Our young waitresses were quite sweet but very inexperienced, slapping food down on the table, we never received any water, and although the place was quite busy both spent most of the evening propped at the bar chatting. Forget this place! Head instead to the aforementioned places or to St Clements for a lovely meal. You're better off with anything rather than this food, trust me!

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, great service and good music”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Today we visited Harris for the second time, and perhaps enjoyed even more than before. First of we were served bread with olives. The green olives - which are marinated on the premises - had a delicious but smooth taste, in contrast with most we have tried elsewhere, which too often have a sharp taste.

The tapas - both the prawn and scallop pil-pil in a chilli sauce and the hake pieces wrapped in ham were full of taste, and complemented each other very well.

To finish, my partner had a cheeseboard, which consisted of a mild Spanish cheese and a quince(?) chutney, while I enjoyed two slices of the Caramelised Orange Cheese Cake. The cheese was really good, but the cheesecake has to be one of the finest I have ever eaten.

The service throughout was friendly, professional and attentive, the music was good, and the atmosphere pleasantly informal.

We look forward to our next visit, and will recommend Harris to our friends.

Thank you - and we look forward to coming back!

1 Thank Bexhillian