“Good great, staff not so much!”
Review of Harris - CLOSED

Harris
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had a table booked for 8.45, late but were told kitchen didn't shut until 9.30 so no problem. From the minute we arrived the waitress was obviously put out that she was going to have to stay late.
We were rushed through ordering, a one point a friend was reading the menu, she came over snatched it from her hand and thrust another one at her- apparently she had the wrong menu! The young girl who took the order was very sweet ( dark hair in a bun) but the other two members if staff were loud, rude and abrupt as well as taking it in turns to pop outside for a cigarette.
The food was very nice, I enjoyed it but she tried to clear the table before we had finished, brought the bill before we asked for it, asked if she could bring us the card machine when we weren't paying fast enough and then turned the lights on and started cleaning round us. On a couple of occasions the kitchen staff appeared from below asking loudly if there were still people here? In all we were made to feel like a nuisance and unwelcome. I noticed that the waitress in question has been mentioned in several other reviews so we are not the first to enjoy her hospitality! Such a shame as the food was very nice!

There are newer reviews for Harris

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Great, authentic, tasty Spanish food. Yum! Called in on chance and were very happily surprised. The Olives were stunning!

1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 11 May 2014

As locals we have visited before, but this time took some family from out of town as we knew it had been a great place to eat on previous occasions. The food was fab, (the best tapas one family member had had!), the staff were friendly and welcoming and the service was speedy. Yet again, another lovely evening in Harris's! Great value for money:-))

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

First time visit and I was expecting craziness due to May Day weekend. We went on the Monday early evening and all the crazy and died down.

The staff were friendly and welcoming and eager to serve.

The ambience was delightful and peaceful away from the insanity outside which was getting worse by the hour

The food was delicious. I would recommend tapas or mains. We tried to do both and struggled. The food is gorgeous with so much flavour. I had chorizo tapas and prawns followed by paella which was delicious but huge after what I had already eaten. Next time I will work through the tapas menu.

I was pleased with the staffs attitude given the time of day and the major craziness of the May Day festival. I think they must have been exhausted but still bent over backwards.

A big thumbs up and will be going back

1  Thank virgo_liz
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife & I have been going to Harris's for some years where we meet up with friends. This time around something felt missing. It wasn't as busy as before and it lacked a 'feel' that it had before.

We always have a carafe or 2 of the house wine and we all a little bit surprised when it came in a basic glass jug rather than the historic earthernware jug ( not sure for the reason for the change).

The house olives are delicious and the food is ok. We both had the prawns and scallop Pil Pil which were quite tasty but came in a stone cold earthenware dish. Also it would have been nice to know that the prawns came 'on the shell' as my wife is not too keen on rafting around with de-shelling them. Our friends had the name wrapped in ham which they said was fine. My wife continued with the Zarzuela which looked and tasted very good but again it came served on a stone cold plate. My friends and I went for the chicken stir fry which was dry and rather tasteless, again served on cold plates.

The waitress could have been rather more pleasant and she could have interacted with us a bit more to make our dining experience a bit more memorable for different reasons. To say that she was going through the motions would probably sum up her approach to her job. I don't want the US style of service but it would be nice to have your waitress exhibit a little bit of interest.

Will we go back? Ummmmm, probably not.