“Nice view but not very good food”
Review of West Hill Cafe

West Hill Cafe
Ranked #294 of 396 Restaurants in Hastings
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

The food in the cafe is mostly from the freezer (four of them are in the sitting area!) (we had fish and chips). That's a pity . Better walk down to George street for a nice meal. View is nice though, but you can also enjoy the view from the field next to the cafe.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The food took over 40 minutes to arrive, even though they were only sandwiches. The 2 meals arrived about 10 minutes apart and they were served by a miserable waitress who was quietly saying what she had in her hand so you couldn't hear her. We were not given exactly what we asked for but by this point we were too hungry and fed up to make a fuss. Poorly organised and would never visit again. Whilst eating you could see them coming out to get their frozen food from the freezers which are kept in the main cafe seating area.

4  Thank Justine W
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I have used this cafe a number of times as the views are amazing! Although I agree it all feels a bit tired and in need of some tlc, I totally disagree about the service. The service has always been good and child friendly. The sandwiches are fresh, plentiful and promptly served. Tea pots do not pour well I concede but as for prices they are not any more than other cafés in the area and a seat outside on a sunny day is worth paying a little more for!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have lived on the West Hill for 12 years. The cafe was poor when I first arrived and is worse now. The views are wonderful - end of story. I don't think the blackboard menu has been changed in a decade, the food is over-priced and of poor quality. The cutlery is cheap which means it never looks clean. Metal teapots & milk jugs are notorious for leaking half the contents on the often grubby tables. No love or care is taken. Tables, chairs are often haphazardly thrown together. I don't understand how the owner or leaseholders justify neglecting the best site in this coastal area. Nothing is done with the community or tourists in mind, it appears to be run for whoever owns it, shutting up shop at 5pm and making it clear from 4.30pm that this will happen. I am ashamed of this cafe. Friends see it from a distance and are enchanted, but after eating there, everyone agrees that it is a wasted opportunity. If the owner isn't willing to invest some money and much more enthusiasm, he/she should let somebody else have it. Or the council should take it over. The West Hill cafe should belong to the community of Hastings not for someone who doesn't seem to give a toss!

6  Thank VGL5167
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I had a sandwich lunch here with my sister last Thursday. We were both very impressed with the quality of the sandwiches (one tuna, one prawn cocktail) both with plenty of filling and served with a generous side salad. My sister's hot chocolate helped her thaw out after the chilly walk across the hilltop and my pot of Earl Grey would have easily served two. It was a bit pricey but we were more than happy with the quality of the food.

The whole place, inside and out, was clean but untidy and could do with an update. If the owners could spruce the place up a bit I'm sure people would flock there for the views and delicious food all year round.